Wolf experts: Colorado officials should 'urgently' address recent wolf kills of livestock

frank church guy

Lil-Rokslider
So for a check of reallity, when we run the hounds on a cat there is always somenone hanging up high with a rifle. dont want a dog getting whooped by a wolf. And they do kill the dogs.

RMM

WKR
@frank church guy
OIP.UmTi0RYdCEktt1itHYLu-wHaEG

sneaky

"DADDY"
I will put my three cents in on this. I am sure the buzz guy might not like me. The wolf reintroduced was not the timberwolve that was here. It is a bigger stronger wolf (a canadian grey). I will say they are incredible predators. Two years ago I helped a friend haul his bull out (he frank). His dad and me showed up about two thirty n the morning after his son sent a text through garmin. That morning I walked down to the spring to fill water bottles. Ten minutes after I got back to camp, The timber below us, where I just came from lit up. It was surreal and incredible. I could here the alpha putting the pups in place.(they had a kill). They are incredible killing machines.

I am going be honest, i dont think the wolves mess with the bachelor bull elk herds (bull elk meet the objectives in the frank) but they do a number on the cow and calf herds. (my friend lets his mules and horses graze all winter on the north side of the salmon, not the frank... the nez perc forest and the wolves do not mess with them... He says do you think you really want to mess with a dozen thousand pound mules in a pack )I see cows uteras's (sorry for the spelling) eaten and left for the eagless, crows, and coyotes. And moose have no chance. They are bigger but more independent.

the frank church is the biggest wilderness in the lower forty eight and there are no moose and the decline happenned when reintroduction came about.

I do hope we get the chance with helicopters.. Might of rambled but wrong wolf wrong environment
Bull elk are below objective in the Frank, and wolves absolutely hammer bulls in bachelor groups. Especially the smaller bachelor groups with just a few bulls. In deep snow the bulls don't stand a chance, much like moose. Cows and calves are in bigger herds so an elk stands a better chance of not being THE one singled out. A bull in a group of 4 or 5? Much worse odds. Those kill sites you have to look for in the deep dark canyons that the bulls retreat to after the rut is over. Cow and calf kills are usually closer to civilization and open areas and easier to locate. They'll also never get to hunt them out of helos in any of the wilderness areas. Be thankful we can hunt them at all, if the legislature keeps passing these enhanced measures without Fish and Game input, we're going to lose everything when it comes to wolves.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

frank church guy

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info. The bull objectives are below for elk city zone and "with in" objective in the middle fork zone. Or at least that is what Fish and game published in last years big game hunting guide/manual. It's tough to get back into the dark holes right now. Snow is real deep. Had chance on a wolf watching thirtyfive head of elk in December and really screwed the pooch last week. Three of them came down to the river where they had a dead white tail. Got inn a hurry and didn't think it through. Should of had two.

But will keep on it. Hell at least I get in long steep hikes. And there is nothing but beautiful country and no people right now. If I get one I will post it when I figure out how to do pictures.

Also I should take the trapping class. The salmon river trail is covered in wolf tracks and scat. Probably a good spot for a trap. Something new to learn

AndyB

WKR
I will put my three cents in on this. I am sure the buzz guy might not like me. The wolf reintroduced was not the timberwolve that was here. It is a bigger stronger wolf (a canadian grey). I will say they are incredible predators. Two years ago I helped a friend haul his bull out (he frank). His dad and me showed up about two thirty n the morning after his son sent a text through garmin. That morning I walked down to the spring to fill water bottles. Ten minutes after I got back to camp, The timber below us, where I just came from lit up. It was surreal and incredible. I could here the alpha putting the pups in place.(they had a kill). They are incredible killing machines.

I am going be honest, i dont think the wolves mess with the bachelor bull elk herds (bull elk meet the objectives in the frank) but they do a number on the cow and calf herds. (my friend lets his mules and horses graze all winter on the north side of the salmon, not the frank... the nez perc forest and the wolves do not mess with them... He says do you think you really want to mess with a dozen thousand pound mules in a pack )I see cows uteras's (sorry for the spelling) eaten and left for the eagless, crows, and coyotes. And moose have no chance. They are bigger but more independent.

the frank church is the biggest wilderness in the lower forty eight and there are no moose and the decline happenned when reintroduction came about.

I do hope we get the chance with helicopters.. Might of rambled but wrong wolf wrong environment
The experts/biologists are already blaming climate change for the future demise of the Colorado Moose, not the wolf.....’warmer climate = more ticks= more sick/ dead moose.’

She said as much on one of the wolf videos that are posted on the DOW website!

The only thing dumber than a cow is 2 of them. They cant run more than 100 yards without taking a nap and even then they're slow.

I would have to imagine a wolf looks at a cow and see's a big soft-serve ice cream cone every time they encounter one.
Do you spend a lot of time around cows?

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

The experts/biologists are already blaming climate change for the future demise of the Colorado Moose, not the wolf.....’warmer climate = more ticks= more sick/ dead moose.’

While that seems overly preemptive, and I personally don't run into many ticks in Colorado...

Have you seen the images of moose covered in ticks? It looks horrible and is negatively affecting moose in the northern United States.

AndyB

WKR
While that seems overly preemptive, and I personally don't run into many ticks in Colorado...

Have you seen the images of moose covered in ticks? It looks horrible and is negatively affecting moose in the northern United States.
No, I haven’t, not on Moose. Deer yes, horrible way to go.

BuzzH

WKR

Brainworm is a big problem as well...research (Parelaphostrongylus tenuis).

Last edited:

Wetwork

Lil-Rokslider
An old cowboy I used to know in West Texas would have disagreed with you. He said, “Sheep are born looking for a place to die.”
Family cattle ranch, been here since 1908 I know stuff...don't matter sheep, cattle or horses....HOW SMART DO YOU HAVE TO BE TO SNEAK UP ON GRASS? Think about it? Grass eaters are food. No grass eater stands a chance on apex predators. Watch wild african dogs hunting in packs. They split up, take seperate trails, flanking prey into a classic pincer movement and herd that prey into a fatal funnell, simple kill zone. Wolves do the same...its fun and they quite often do fun kills. -WW

Trap

Lil-Rokslider

That’s Interesting in a very irritating sort of way 😂 that’s exactly what they blamed for Idaho moose population plummeting shortly after reintroduced wolves. They just keep repeating the same bullshit 25 years later. Hard to believe Colorado residents buy it but I guess over half do?

WKR
Family cattle ranch, been here since 1908 I know stuff...don't matter sheep, cattle or horses....HOW SMART DO YOU HAVE TO BE TO SNEAK UP ON GRASS? Think about it? Grass eaters are food. No grass eater stands a chance on apex predators. Watch wild african dogs hunting in packs. They split up, take seperate trails, flanking prey into a classic pincer movement and herd that prey into a fatal funnell, simple kill zone. Wolves do the same...its fun and they quite often do fun kills. -WW
Yes, I understand and I’m not arguing. I was a ranch hand in my youth and an outfit I worked for in Wyoming has experienced a lot of Grizzly predation on the upper Green River grazing allotment. I was just cracking a joke about the stupidness of sheep from the perspective of an old cowboy I once knew.