Colorado Wolf Introduction is getting REAL political

Hnthrdr

WKR
So in the event that elk populations show a decrease of more than 25% in the next few years do you think they’ll implement a plan to manage the wolves ?
Absolutely not, they will just cut tags for humans, which has been their plan from the start. Would have to find the wording but basically where wolves establish packs they will manage the herd 10-15% over current objectives to ensure the wolves get fed, where do you think that 15% less fatalities will come from? You guessed it hunting tags. Saw some where that few that are out already ran through a group of 5-9 pregnant cow elk that a rancher found… so it’s started, won’t be super super bad for a few years, but if you do the math every female has litters of 5-10 pups, currently not a lot of predators on the land scape for them so in a hand full of year they grow their numbers quick

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
So in the event that elk populations show a decrease of more than 25% in the next few years do you think they’ll implement a plan to manage the wolves ?
Thats the thing and another point of contention. There is NO plan.

This state is riding the wire and failing to follow the mistakes of other states (ID, MT, MN, etc)

taskswap

WKR
Nope. They'll do a 5-year-plan answer where after 5 years they'll start "collecting input" on the problem, but decide to do nothing right away, in 10 years they'll do something ineffective, then in 15 years they'll be too late.

BigAl!

WKR
There is zero chance the Colorado Elk herd will drop by 25% in the next few years.
What makes you so confident? What is the percentage then? It will drop due to the presence of more wolves on the ground, and will continue to quicker than ever as they expand their range.

*zap*

WKR
of course it is political, death by hundreds of cuts=dead conservatism. Pretty sure it is in intensive care already in co. The shame is I live next door and do not think I will ever go there again.....and I like the mnts.

buffybr

FNG
There is zero chance the Colorado Elk herd will drop by 25% in the next few years.
What do you base that on?

The northern Yellowstone elk population dropped from 20,000 plus animals prior to the wolf introduction to just over 4,000 animals ten years later.

wapitibob

WKR
What do you base that on?

The northern Yellowstone elk population dropped from 20,000 plus animals prior to the wolf introduction to just over 4,000 animals ten years later.

Yea, and 2000 cow tags/year around Gardner starting the same time had no affect?

wapitibob

WKR
What makes you so confident? What is the percentage then? It will drop due to the presence of more wolves on the ground, and will continue to quicker than ever as they expand their range.

Do you know of a western state that’s at 25%? And all of them have close to 200 wolves or more.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I tend to agree, it won’t be 25% for a while, but 15 + years will not bode well especially if other larger predators ie cats are unregulated as well. I also think elk will respond by attempting to push into lower elevation/urban interface to escape wolves and that will bring its own set of issues because it will put a ton of elk in places they can never be hunted & and bring wolves and people into close proximity

I tend to agree, it won’t be 25% for a while, but 15 + years will not bode well especially if other larger predators ie cats are unregulated as well. I also think elk will respond by attempting to push into lower elevation/urban interface to escape wolves and that will bring its own set of issues because it will put a ton of elk in places they can never be hunted & and bring wolves and people into close proximity
*See Idaho.

That’s exactly what happened. Units that had high numbers fell flat on their face. Units that historically didn’t have elk now have huge herds costing hunters tens of thousands of dollars in crop depredation.

BigAl!

WKR
Do you know of a western state that’s at 25%? And all of them have close to 200 wolves or more.
Research the areas in Idaho where wolves were re-introduced. They are drastically different than they were before. I'm lucky if I get 1 elk/yr, but I'll be most effected (i.e. - hunters will see reduced opportunities) while a quick google search tells us that an average wolf consumes 16 to 22 elk a year but they will be the least effected because we all know there will probably never be legal hunting for wolves in Colorado.