Colorado Wolf Introduction is getting REAL political

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Every one of these wolf threads is going to bring out strong opinions but we don’t to be snarky or insulting.
This was the polite way to say please stop.

Apparently that didn't get some people attention but now is the time to move along and post elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

jewbacca

FNG
I wouldn't be so opposed to wolf reintroduction if it didn't come with deifying the damn animals. Introduce them, regulate them, hunt them. They're cool animals. It hurts my own self interests, but treating them like they the holy grail of the outdoors is hurting the cause.

jmann28

FNG
I’m removed from this process and can’t speak from a position of full knowledge, but here is my impression of where things are at. Colorado, as required, has developed a recovery and management plan. That plan is currently in draft form and includes potential lethal take of problem animals. They are in the public review portion of the plan. Once finalized, the plan will then be submitted to USFWS for approval.

The USFWS will likely require some changes before approving that plan. If that happens, Colorado will need to make adjustments and resubmit.

In Michigan and Wisconsin, even though both States are substantially above the agreed upon recovery goals, and have been for the better part of 20 years, killing of wolves for livestock and pet depredation is not allowed. I can’t say with 100% certainty that the same will be true in Colorado, but it would be highly unusual for the Feds to stray from that direction.

The goal of my first post was to help people understand the background on these processes and how they can best provide meaningful input. Having done that, I’m going to back out and allow others to opine on the merits of the plan.

I can tell you for 100% fact, residents of Michigan’s UP regularly shoot wolves year round when given an opportunity. I’m not saying DNR officers turn a blind eye to this, but they don’t put much effort into finding out who fires the rifle.

The deer population in the UP is nothing compared to what it was.

If you’re in the middle of the wilderness with nobody around, are you flinging a round at a wolf? I bet I know the answer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

49ereric

WKR
I can tell you for 100% fact, residents of Michigan’s UP regularly shoot wolves year round when given an opportunity. I’m not saying DNR officers turn a blind eye to this, but they don’t put much effort into finding out who fires the rifle.

If you’re in the middle of the wilderness with nobody around, are you flinging a round at a wolf? I bet I know the answer

Same here. Guy I know long ago was catching wolves in coyote sets and warden got tired of getting called to come release the wolf and told the guy to stop calling him.

I wouldn't be so opposed to wolf reintroduction if it didn't come with deifying the damn animals. Introduce them, regulate them, hunt them. They're cool animals. It hurts my own self interests, but treating them like they the holy grail of the outdoors is hurting the cause.
All animals are equal. But some are more equal.

Depending on who you ask it's wolves, ungulates, or cattle...

Ishisube

Lil-Rokslider
Perhaps we now close all the ski resorts due to them being "protected wolf habitat". That'll rile up some feathers!
Bit a side conversation, but this reminds me of an issue they had somewhere in the lower 48 one time. The mushers wanted skiers and snowmachines banned and went with wording that worked out to something along the lines of "no mechanical devices" in order to cover both groups, who responded by pointing out that the sleds needed to be included in the ban, and the judges agreed.

Not sure how that ever worked out, but sometimes people get what they wish for, then realize they didn't think clearly enough.

Ishisube

Lil-Rokslider
I've always liked hearing them and seeing their tracks along the river, but when they get close to the dogs it's time to remove a few of them.

49ereric

WKR
I've always liked hearing them and seeing their tracks along the river, but when they get close to the dogs it's time to remove a few of them.
When a wolf-wolves were close to the house years ago my dog wouldn’t get off the deck.

Ishisube

Lil-Rokslider
When a wolf-wolves were close to the house years ago my dog wouldn’t get off the deck.
We had a fearless german shepherd come running up the steps crying using a sound she'd never made before or since and a wolf ran part way up behind her until it saw people. That wolf ended up liking the cabin so much that it decided to stay and now hangs out in the hall next to the bathroom door now.

SwiftShot

WKR

People on the UP do not shoot wolves. Wolves are dying from catching COVID. If they get within 200 yards of someone with a rifle they can catch COVID.

Okhotnik

WKR

Name a wolf management plan that was approved that wasn't a complete failure where wolves were introduced

Okhotnik

WKR
All animals are equal. But some are more equal.

Depending on who you ask it's wolves, ungulates, or cattle...
or pets

r7kD17B.png

HBN53ka.jpg

c1dXzMe.jpg

MzztEke.jpg

Beendare

WKR
What if I'm a sportsman and look at the ecosystem as a whole? What if I don't think management for maximum hunting opportunities is the best way?

“Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; …l
The problem with your rainbows and unicorns theory…..is the real world.

I too want nature to be in harmony.
There are many advantages to using Hunters to manage wildlife;
1) Hunters are easily regulated.
2) Tags and quotas for ungulates can be easily ramped up or down- some seasons have an objective that can be stopped mid season.
3) Hunters contribute $$$$$ to do this managing essentially a self perpetuating system.
4) hunters are selective in their killing

Wolves have none of those advantages, and in addition have many disadvantages
1) The cost to F&G is enormous, EIRs, studies, investigations of livestock predation and then THERE ARE THE BARRAGE OF LAWSUITS.
2) wolves will kill as many animals from a herd as they can- whether they eat them or not
3) wolves are not selective
4) wolves are very difficult and costly to control once established
5) historically, these wolf populations HAVE NOT BEEN CONTROLLED and go way over objectives

The insinuation that Hunters are not far better solution to manage our ecosystem solution over wolves is just falling for the lie the antis are pushing.

Wolves are indiscriminate brutal killers…. not exactly the way the anti-‘s portray them on TV to fool people, Eh?

Last edited: