will inflation/fuel prices change your hunting plans?

GSPHUNTER

WKR
At this point I have not changed any of my plans but a few guys I know are starting to wonder if they will need to cut back on the number of trips they make. If that happens it may effect me.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it has definitely impacted my scouting, don't think it'll impact my actual hunting decisions though.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Grumman

WKR
Yes fuel prices coupled with high priced or nonexistent car rental availability have impacted my plans. I hoped to make a preseason scouting trip but won’t now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

150plusB&C

Lil-Rokslider
Nope. As long as the good Lord opens my eyes I’m hunting. I’d rather be broke with memories than rich with none.

“It’s a hell of a life!”

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
Not as much as wildfires have so far. Everywhere I normally hunt mule deer and black bear in Wa is either on fire or surrounded by fires. It was impossible to go anywhere to shoot except for one overcrowded rifle range the next state over leading up to the season due to fire danger and closures. I'm considering a weekend trip 300 miles each way to the west side to hunt bears which means spending a lot I normally wouldn't on fuel and/or taking the wife's car for the weekend. Then there's the cost and availability of ammo. Once I get around all that and make it through the season and my wife sees the fuel bill, on top of what I spent on rounds and shells, I'm sure that there will be some impact on next season.

I keep a log on how many miles I drive to/from my Chama Elk hunt every year, and fuel prices. I use approx 150 gallons of gas for the entire trip. Even if the price of gas has gone up $2.00 a gallon, that would mean I would have to pay $300 more for fuel this year. That is the one of the cheapest parts of my entire out West adventure, which with Outfitter costs, license fees, etc all costs about $12000. So, HELL NO it won't keep me from chasing my Elk this year.

rclouse79

WKR
I will still be hunting any chance I get, but I have to admit that $4.35/gal for ethanol free made my butthole pucker up. It is definitely the most I have ever paid for gas.

JakeSCH

WKR
*EDIT* my comment was not good advice the way I worded it. Long story short, I am not to worried about inflation.

Last edited:

Fatcamp

WKR
Sell the 4runner and buy a Prius is my plan. Well, the whole having a job and paying attention thing comes first, but if that falls through.........

Warmsy

WKR
I just lost my full time job because I won't get vaccinated, so some of my more ambitious trips will probably be cancelled. $4.35/ is not obscene for gas here in California.

I just lost my full time job because I won't get vaccinated, so some of my more ambitious trips will probably be cancelled. $4.35/ is not obscene for gas here in California.
The vaccine is a placebo, a saline solution. Otherwise, very few people would be getting sick...

Not for me. I already drive 25,000 miles a year in my truck for work. I’m used to shelling out a lot for gas haha.

bozeman

WKR
I laugh at all the comments about filling freezers……how much per lbs you paying? Lol

it’s all about priority…….for some hunting is a priority, for others it’s a braggin rights issue, for others it’s a fellowship time with family/friends……some of that you can’t put a price tag on!

OP
GSPHUNTER

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I laugh at all the comments about filling freezers……how much per lbs you paying? Lol

it’s all about priority…….for some hunting is a priority, for others it’s a braggin rights issue, for others it’s a fellowship time with family/friends……some of that you can’t put a price tag on!
Nobody hunts or fishes to save money on grocery bills. That's missing to point. I know it was said in jest but, I have actually had people ask me how much money I save by hunting and fishing. I told one lady, if you can buy blue fin tuna at the market for $17/pound, I get it for about $75/pound.

zwickr

FNG
Nope. As long as the good Lord opens my eyes I’m hunting. I’d rather be broke with memories than rich with none.

“It’s a hell of a life!”

one reasons I go to work every day is so that I can go on my hunting trips so it definitely won't change my plans