Inflation Effect on Hunters?

Stoop383

FNG
I'm curious how many hunters out there will be effected this fall by inflation and the cost of fuel. Given a few recent discussions with some fellow outdoorsman, it occurred to me that the fuel prices and inflation will be prohibiting some from making their out of state trips this year. I know 2 years ago was insane with the amount of hunters during covid, last year seemed to be not as crowded. Given the effect of inflation, I'm optimistic that it will be a little less crowded again this year.

OP
Stoop383

Stoop383

FNG
I may be an outlier... But I've never factored fuel into hunting or fishing trip planning.

It is what it is.
Neither have I, i would do whatever it takes to go, but that being said i know of 2 guys that aren't going for this reasons & they make a very good living. So it has me curious to see if it is the case for others

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
Zero impact. I have driven through 6 states before to get to non-resident hunts I drew. Sometimes gas was under $3 a gallon and sometimes above. If calculate the cost of the tag as the tag costing the year drawn plus any costs to apply for the X prior years to build enough points to get the tag then I have never spent more on gas than the cost to get the tag in hand through the non-resident draw. No cheap dates as a non-resident hunter and a lot less decent tags than when I started in the game a couple of decades ago.

Titan_Bow

WKR
My fingers are crossed that it keeps a few people home this year! LOL Seriously though, it’s not going to affect my hunting plans all that much. Maybe a scouting trip or so is cut out, but I’ve already got my tags and vacation days on the calendar. Increase in gas sucks but in the grand scheme of things, it certainly is not make or break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D_Dubya

Lil-Rokslider
Doubt it will have much effect on the the plans of all the WKR’s and the more serious hunters. I bet it will have an effect on the number of casual hunters, especially Colorado NR OTC elk. It’s Not merely the price of the hunt but overall decrease in expendable income. When it comes down to only enough $ for a week of out of state hunting or a family vacation the # of “casual” hunters will decrease.

GARLICSALT

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in so. cal and I need to run about 200 miles to get to my deer zone in a 7.3 ford with camper and towing a RZR at $6 a gallon needless to say I'm a bit concerned. I plan to stay as long as it takes. When fuel was
$3 I would just go back n forth through the season.
LGB!!!

Sherman

WKR
I live in the west and hunt close to home. It will affect me. At 2.30 a gallon, one could run up the canyon and hunt evenings after work but 5 bucks a gallon is going to put a damper on those trips.
All you have to do is buy an electric car. Don’t know why the cost of fuel would stop anyone from doing anything.

We all should just stop being whiny little bi**hes and buy electric.

/sarc

Marble

WKR
Inflation as a hunter hasn't really affected me yet as the season hasn't began. I can say I have held on to some cash I've had set aside for gear (if needed) and my normal trip costs.

I'm not happy about paying so much for fuel this year, plus my group is only two instead of four. Ill have more fuel, feed, room costs. Oh well.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Tatanka17

FNG
I think it all comes down to living within your means and being financially responsible. That being said, I have a difficult time believing this market is going to improve any time soon. If you have the opportunity to hunt by all means hunt. Life is too short to not chase your dreams and passions.

Rich M

WKR
To me it's not about the annual hunting trip. It's about the weekly increase in gas, groceries, utilities, etc. That is what's making a diff.

So, we are all are spending $100-$200-$300 more a week for stuff and day to day living. That's $5k, $10k, $15K extra this year alone. That hurts some folks real bad. Anyway hunting trips, vacations, savings accounts, retirement accounts are all seeing a hit... You can't be spending "$150" more every week without it coming from somewhere.

The inflation and higher prices suck. Remember where they came from - we had $2/gal gas and maybe 2% inflation 18 months ago. Anything you are paying above and beyond that is a donation to someone - you get no added value from doubling and more your costs.

riversidejeep

Lil-Rokslider
The news says that it cost the average family an extra $500 /month now for the same basic items, Take that and add to it the extra cost of fuel used on a hunting trip ( easy $200-$400 for me)your closing in on an extra $1000 for a hunting trip . Kind of tough on the guys that didn't get a $1000 a month raise this year.

For me, it's not about the money. You can't buy these experiences in the woods, time with family, and putting food on the table.

If the risk (money) isn't worth the reward (woods, family, food) then my passion is gone.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would have to bet that it is going to deter a lot of scouting! I know its a hard pill to swallow for me to drive an hour after work to go and glass for 30 minutes this time of the year like I normally do, let alone someone coming out to CO from another state just to learn the area. I feel like a lot more time will be spent on ONX and less time in the field in August.