Inflation Effect on Hunters?

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I work for a state highway department and I can tell you from the amount of vehicles on the roads, it hasn't slowed down many. It's unreal how many rv's, boats, campers, trailers, etc are all out and about.

Randy

WCB

WKR
I'm sure there will be some guys drop out no doubt. Overall I doubt you see any marked decrease in tags sold. There is a lot of money out there and guys willing to pack 4 deep in a truck to head out west. I find it funny though that guys mention they are worried about gas prices and trip cost but are pulling a $15K-$20K+ side by side on a few thousand dollar trailer in their $50K+ truck or pulling their $20k+ camper. OR all of the above.

schlumpyj

FNG
An interesting stat I heard the other day is KOA campgrounds reported a 3% decline in campers. Not saying RVers and hunters have the exact same behavior but I wouldn’t notice a 3% decrease of people in the woods.

Fatcamp

WKR
Probably gonna prioritize bringing our deer home in one trip. And no motel rooms. Those are our changes for the year.

elkyinzer

WKR
Fishing pressure on Lake Erie seems to be down I'd say a good 30%+ from the last couple years and I'm not complaining at all. I'd say gas prices are the most significant component. 2020 was an effing nuthouse with nobody working, even weekdays lots were full and launches were nuthouses. I'd venture another factor is a lot of folks got into it then and are already bored/tired of the work it takes/not getting enough views, likes, and smashes of that notification button as they hoped.

OP
Stoop383

Stoop383

FNG
Fishing pressure on Lake Erie seems to be down I'd say a good 30%+ from the last couple years and I'm not complaining at all. I'd say gas prices are the most significant component. 2020 was an effing nuthouse with nobody working, even weekdays lots were full and launches were nuthouses. I'd venture another factor is a lot of folks got into it then and are already bored/tired of the work it takes/not getting enough views, likes, and smashes of that notification button as they hoped.
Thanks for the input, & I agree. I know of plenty that go to Erie as well.

manitou1

WKR
I would have to bet that it is going to deter a lot of scouting! I know its a hard pill to swallow for me to drive an hour after work to go and glass for 30 minutes this time of the year like I normally do, let alone someone coming out to CO from another state just to learn the area. I feel like a lot more time will be spent on ONX and less time in the field in August.
Agreed. I hunt anywhere from 5 miles to 80 miles from the house... about every day from Sep 1st to Oct 31st, then about 2x a week to the end of Dec, depending on tags.
Most of my bear, elk and mule deer hunting is a 30-80 mile commute each way.
Throw in a couple dozen days or more of scouting and it adds up. I am currently packing to do a three day scouting trip about 60 miles from here. Instead of taking a day here and there to squeeze in a quick look I have resorted to going and staying instead of driving every day. My hunts this year will mirror this. Instead of coming home most nights I plan to stay a week or longer (if needed) per outing.

3 trips at an average of 600 miles round trip to my spots = 6 tanks of gas. Luckily I hunt the same units/ drainages every year, so extra trips for scouting are not a factor for me. Not a factor for me. Hopefully it cuts down on the OTC out of state guys that take all the good parking spots...

southLA

WKR
I'm curious how many hunters out there will be effected this fall by inflation and the cost of fuel. Given a few recent discussions with some fellow outdoorsman, it occurred to me that the fuel prices and inflation will be prohibiting some from making their out of state trips this year. I know 2 years ago was insane with the amount of hunters during covid, last year seemed to be not as crowded. Given the effect of inflation, I'm optimistic that it will be a little less crowded again this year.
I think I read somewhere that inflation was transitory so it should only apply to public transit, right?