Wiggys bags

Lawnboi

WKR
I couldn't resist!

I sold my marmot lithium a year ago, and somewhat regret it. I no longer have a cold weather bag. Though I didn't care for down when it was below freezing daily.

So now I needed a 0* or under bag, to use for winter ice fishing, camping and stuff like that. I know wiggys is know for being bulky, heavy, downright warm and bulletproof.

So seeing as I cant afford to spend 500 on a kifaru, I found a wiggys 0*superlight for 130$ on their website. So I bit, now I have a bag coming for this winters use.

Anyone else here run wiggys bags? Toughts on them?

If it dosnt work out I certainly wont be too disappointed as it only cost me 130 bucks atleast

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I use Wiggy's for atleast 20 nights a year for about 4 or 5 years now. They are good bags...light they are not, compact they are not, warm they are. No complaints other than the weight and the bulk. The price is pretty sweet on them I'd say. I'll be sleeping in one in 10 days for 4 nights ;)

luke moffat

Super Moderator
What will you be hunting luke?

The ever elusive Sitka Blacktail with Becca and a buddy...we'll have our brown bear tags as well just in case, but deer are the focus...don't really plan on seeing any bears.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Luke what makes you decide to take the wiggys over others?

Honestly.....price....I'm a cheap skate at times. Plus they make a system kinda with overbags. Also they make right and left zips so Becca and I can zip them together.

Snipershirt

Lil-Rokslider
Exactly what Luke said...cheap in price and while bulky/heavy they are proven performers. I've got the Antarctic, military bag and an Ultima Thule. Why do I have these particular three, b/c they were free.99 and its cold this time of year up here.

$

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
I got the bag. Its big, and its heavy.

My only complaint, pre taking it out, is that there is no neck baffle, and the hood is huge. The good news. Iv got enough room on the inside to throw my kifaru doobie in.

Overall though, it seems like a nice bag. Built well. I don't know why more people who are tight on money don't try these.

O'Really

Lil-Rokslider
Luke summed up the Wiggy's bags pretty well. I slept in mine for over 30 nights this past hunting season, they can't be beat for my purposes.

Colby Jack

Lil-Rokslider
Another Alaskan Wiggy user here. I don't own any other decent bag, and I'm a stomach sleeper, so I'm not sure how long I'll keep it. The bulk is a real bummer to me. Causes me to leave it behind when leaving spike camp. Looking at a rectangular primaloft next.

I chose Wiggys after seeing this video...took a river dunking once and my down was soaked, no sleep that night...just hypothermia.

[video=youtube;YD3wA5Wrcmc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD3wA5Wrcmc[/video]

Huntr

Lil-Rokslider
Are the Wiggys bags accurate in their temp ratings? I don't get a lot of use out of my cold weather bags, so going cheap is really appealing.... :)

I have the super lite mummy, 0 deg rated, with the overbag that makes it a -40 deg rated bag. I slept in it nightly in NE Alaska last winter. The system works! I have a question though, regarding the overbag itself ( rated for 35 deg + ). It's light and compresses very well, but I'd like to incorporated a liner/quilt ( terminology? ) that can make the bag warmer. Any suggestions or am I trying to make this bag into something it's not?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have the super lite mummy, 0 deg rated, with the overbag that makes it a -40 deg rated bag. I slept in it nightly in NE Alaska last winter. The system works! I have a question though, regarding the overbag itself ( rated for 35 deg + ). It's light and compresses very well, but I'd like to incorporated a liner/quilt ( terminology? ) that can make the bag warmer. Any suggestions or am I trying to make this bag into something it's not?

I have the overbag and only use it to go around my 15 or 0 degree wiggy's bags for winter camping via snomachine (snowmobile for lower 48ers). The overbag first off is HUGE inside. That is a lot of volume to heat out compared to a standard bag. Secondly being so HUGE means for a 35 degree bag is HEAVY. Generally you can get a 600 power fill 30 degree bag for pretty inexpensive and have it fit your more correctly and have it be lighter as well. So IMO yes you are trying to make the bag into something its not in my experience. Hope that helps.

kodiakfly

WKR
Luke, what are the stuff dimensions of your bags? I have an old Wiggy's double bag that my Dad is currently "borrowing" so it's not here for me to measure and I've never used in on a backpack trip, so I've never gotten it down as small as it will go.

I think it's time for a new bag and I'm a big Wiggy's fan. Also a MH fan and I like the size and weight of the UL15. Curious about the comparative stuff sizes.

TheHardWay

Lil-Rokslider
I have the FTRSS consisting of a Hunter and a Nautilus bag. As others mentioned, the bags are not night nor compact. I mainly use mine separately for camping and combined in the coldest conditions. Depending on the time of year, dictates the configuration that I use. The bag are very comfortable, roomy, and very well made. I wouldn't ever consider my particular bag(s) for backcountry hunt based solely on the weight ad bulk.
On a side note, I've visited the factory on a couple of occasions and taken tours around the factory in Grand Juction. I spent some time talking with Jerry Wigetow from everything about his products to hunting. Very nice guy.

wetzel

FNG
How does the FTRSS compare in compressed size and weight to the modular military sleep system? Just wondering about the military's two bags vs 2 wiggy's bags. Thanks if anyone can answer this.