Big Agnes Greystone - Any Reviews?

CEG017

FNG
Hi Guys,

As I am looking to take the plunge into backpack hunting this year I am looking around at sleeping bags.
I am well aware of what the best brands are for quality bags (WM, FF, SG etc.). As I said I am just getting started into this so I am going to be making a lot of purchases this year and like many people I am working with a budget.

I am wondering if anyone has experience with the following bags:
BA Greystone
BA Torchlight
Klymit KSB
Marmot Helium
Marmot Bantamweight
Nemo Kayu
Outdoor Vitals Summit

I am also open to other ideas that are probably mid range in price. I think I would like to stick with a sleeping bag over a quilt.
My main concern is getting a bag that is lightweight and I wont freeze when the temps drop. Looking for a bag that can be used for early to mid season elk or mule deer, so I am thinking 15 - 20 degree.

Really not sure if I should just rearrange my budget to get the best sleeping bag possible, or if I can get away with one of the middle of the road bags. I think if I was going to step into a higher level bag it would be the SG Chilkoot 15.

Let me know your thoughts and I really appreciate any advice!

Beendare

WKR
I’ll chime in here though I’ve only actually tried a buddies Marmot Helium. Its a good bag if you are thin and medium sized, I’m 6’3” 240 and its too tight for me.

The BA stuff has a rep for poor ratings. In fact, many of the cheap down bags are the same- they don’t perform to rating and lose lift fairly quick.

If you go down, go a minimum of 800fill, the others lose loft. A buddy has the 650 down Marmot bag and it lost loft in just a year, though maybe he stored it packed- don’t know.

summary; ‘ Cheap’ and ‘Down bag’ in the same sentence is asking for problems.

The cheap synthetic bags can be very good and give you years of easy care but have a weight penalty.

Lastly, These bags typically go on big discount coming up in Jan/Feb- be patient and shop.

OP
C

CEG017

FNG
I’ll chime in here though I’ve only actually tried a buddies Marmot Helium. Its a good bag if you are thin and medium sized, I’m 6’3” 240 and its too tight for me.

The BA stuff has a rep for poor ratings. In fact, many of the cheap down bags are the same- they don’t perform to rating and lose lift fairly quick.

If you go down, go a minimum of 800fill, the others lose loft. A buddy has the 650 down Marmot bag and it lost loft in just a year, though maybe he stored it packed- don’t know.

summary; ‘ Cheap’ and ‘Down bag’ in the same sentence is asking for problems.

The cheap synthetic bags can be very good and give you years of easy care but have a weight penalty.

Lastly, These bags typically go on big discount coming up in Jan/Feb- be patient and shop.
Thank you for the insight! I will keep my eyes open in the next few months.