new kuiu altai bags

rafiki

FNG
kuiu sent out an email about their new altai sleeping bags earlier this week. i like the "look" but didn't see anything about them being discussed or reviewed yet. from the website photos and description they appear to be a nice upgrade. anyone pulling the trigger?

and since, i'm sure a lot of you will have the same question as me...they didn't have the amount of down fill used in the detail on the website so figured i'd share what i was told after reaching out to customer service.
altai 0 degree bag: 30 oz (1lb 14 oz) of 850 FP down
altai 15 degree bag: 19 oz (1lb 3 oz) of 850 FP down
-i didn't clarify but assume both are the regular size option

they cut weight from previous version which i assume was mostly accomplished by going to a 7D inner & outer shell fabric. that seems pretty light so will be interested in hearing how they hold up in the field.

other thing i'm curious about is the "reflective" ripstop which is supposed to help with heat retention/R-value but could impact breathability?

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
Where did you get those weights from? I'm seeing 1lb 13.6oz for the 15° and 2lb 7oz for the 0°. Both regular size.

kuiu sent out an email about their new altai sleeping bags earlier this week. i like the "look" but didn't see anything about them being discussed or reviewed yet. from the website photos and description they appear to be a nice upgrade. anyone pulling the trigger?

and since, i'm sure a lot of you will have the same question as me...they didn't have the amount of down fill used in the detail on the website so figured i'd share what i was told after reaching out to customer service.
altai 0 degree bag: 30 oz (1lb 14 oz) of 850 FP down
altai 15 degree bag: 19 oz (1lb 3 oz) of 850 FP down
-i didn't clarify but assume both are the regular size option

they cut weight from previous version which i assume was mostly accomplished by going to a 7D inner & outer shell fabric. that seems pretty light so will be interested in hearing how they hold up in the field.

other thing i'm curious about is the "reflective" ripstop which is supposed to help with heat retention/R-value but could impact breathability?
When you say they seem like a “nice upgrade”, what do you see as an upgrade from their previous model besides color. I didn’t seem to find much about this versus their old model, besides the ripstop. The weights seem to be within 1-2 ounces, if not the same, of their previous versions. Just curious what CS might have mentioned specifically.

OP
rafiki

rafiki

FNG
When you say they seem like a “nice upgrade”, what do you see as an upgrade from their previous model besides color. I didn’t seem to find much about this versus their old model, besides the ripstop. The weights seem to be within 1-2 ounces, if not the same, of their previous versions. Just curious what CS might have mentioned specifically.
fair point...i don't see any monumental upgrades which i suppose is why i said "nice" instead of "amazing" etc...
pretty minor overall--color, added chest width, several oz lighter.
not that it really matters but i like the color better & the reflective ripstop sounds interesting. CS just provided the amount of down fill used so no additional detail.
also, not sure if i missed it originally, but i did see they have a link under the details section on the product page with full measurements/specs.

Look, several small upgrades equal a nice overall upgrade:

-The regular 6’ length now has a 64” chest circumference. Old bag was 62”

-Horizontal baffles.

- new reflective material

- redesigned foot box

- an added zip in attachment piece to make the bag bigger. Sold separately.

- down fill is about 2oz more then previous old version which is a lot.