Mummy vs. Square Style Bags

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
So I am a side sleeper and I also tuck one of my legs under my other leg to make the shape of a 4 when I sleep.

I find the mummy "V-Style" bags to restricting, especially in the foot box. But I also know that square bags are heavier and also more bulky for back pack hunting.

What are some good options for a lightweight, backpacking, square style in a 0°F bag? What price point should I be budgeting for? I already have a Thermarest Xped 7R, XL. And for the record, I'm 6-1, 260 lbs (yeah,I know, I certainly have to get into shape!)

I have a big -25°F Teton for truck/trailhead that if I get warm, I just unzip. But it's not something I am going to put in a pack.

I'm a buy once, cry once kind of guy, so I've been looking at Western Mountaineering bags, but wondering if there are other, cheaper options?

Last edited:
OP
J

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
You will probably love the zen bivy lite bed

You will probably love the zen bivy lite bed

Very interesting design. I wasn't considering a quilt, always done a bag before.

I can't find information on how much the pad weighs? Couple YouTube videos says the pad is an R5 rating. I'm curious if my Xped XL would fit in the sleeve, maybe save some $$....

Their Ultralite coming out in the spring is 1.7 lbs....

Interested for sure!

I use mine with a sea to summit etherlite, as long as you size the pad and sheet correctly you can use whatever pad you'd like

OP
J

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
I use mine with a sea to summit etherlite, as long as you size the pad and sheet correctly you can use whatever pad you'd like

Thanks, that's what I was hoping for. I didn't want to buy a new pad if I already had one.

Though my Thermarest is pretty loud & crinkles a lot when I move.

Adamsfj

Lil-Rokslider
I have a feathered friends condor that's very roomy. might be something that fits your needs. has a hood option and different temp ratings

Subliminal1

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 6'1 and 240, big square shoulders, use the Thermarest Xped pad with Enlightened Equipment Enigma 20deg quilt in cold weather. Hell with the thermolite reactor I have taken that down to single digits.

I roll all over the place when I'm sleeping, having a quilt is amazing for that. Also if you sleep hot another plus for quilts. Oh and they are usually lighter and compact down smaller...

energy369

FNG
Look into quilts. I don't mind mummy bags but my partner hates them and has moved over to camping quilts. She quite likes them.

I had a mummy but didn't like it. I went back to a rectangle. I think bulk and weight are relative. My current bag is a 40* rectangle. Down filled. I go to bed near fully clothed and always wear a warm hat(when camping). Being a 40* bag, it packs down very small. I can actually roll up my deflated sleeping pad with the bag on it and it fits in one sack. The bag itself has peformed very well down to 30*

HaydenB

Lil-Rokslider
I sleep exactly like you. I went with an Sea2Summit EtherLight XT because it is thicker and my shoulder wouldn’t bottom out when I slept on my side and I went with the WM Terralite and WM Sequoia. Both of those bags have a wider foot box. I run that pad and of those bags and I’m set.

Matt5266

WKR
I sleep the same way and also hate mummy bags. I just bought a stone glacier chilkoot 0 degree. I love it. Btw I'm 6 foot 210 lbs

MT_Wyatt

WKR
WM terralite is semi-rectangular and great for side sleeping, they market it that way. A lot more room for legs to get tucked up, etc.

Wheels

WKR
Western Mountaineering Ponderosa is a rectangular bag. It's a 15* bag, but can get it from Hermits Hut with overfill to lower the temp.