Why you should not take equity out or dump your 401 K to take super expensive hunts.

Mojave

WKR
I am not a financial planner, but I have been following these discussions regularly.

A friend of mine is a booking agent, his top end hunts are about $20,000. Mostly he books common European species for reasonable prices. Trophy expectations are reasonable and there is a lot of success. He does not focus on high fenced areas, and has some very interesting species.

He has also hunted all over the world mostly on his own without an outfitter where possible.

He and I were in deer camp together in Hungary this week. We had this discussion, with 3 other hunters in camp and everyone said the same thing. It is a stupid endeavor.

There are other experiences you can have that are just as challenging and cost percentage points of what sheep hunts cost.

New Zelanad on your own or outfitted for Tahr and Chamois.

Europe Chamois, mouflon, capercaillie and black grouse hunts.

Spanish Ibex, Caucasian Tur, Tajikistan Ibex, Krygiz ibex among other options.

the problem with hunts priced in this tier is the same problem as drawing a tag that takes a lifetime to draw. The odds are very good that the hunt will not go the way you want.

On the first day at 0800 am of a very pricy aoudad free range hunt in West Texas I was offered a 32 inch ram, and I turned him down because I wanted to hunt more. 3 days later on the last day of the hunt I shot a 25 inch ram. Only ram we got onto, that wasn't 800 yards away running the other direction.

I had 9 or 10 points for Wyoming antelope and finally drew a good tag. Worst draught in 20 years, my father and uncle insisted on going and my father gave all of us covid. Then I gave it to my wife and kids. Was a rough couple of weeks. I shot a 12 inch buck because my father wanted to go home. He lied to me and told me he wasn't sick. So I picked him up in Cheyenne and then wasted the tag on a dink.

I know lots of people that have been on 2 or 3 sheep hunts for Dallas, and multiple sheep hunts for Stones and bighorns.

Personally know outfitters that have told me they are about 30% on their stone tags in BC. In the old days they would be able to use the same tag on multiple hunters taking them for long walks. Not finding a big enough ram.

Think this couldn't happen to you?

Don't romanticize it. It is a transaction between you and the outfitter.

If you are worth millions of dollars and $300,000 is nothing to you then do it. I don't personally feel as though you could do it for $300,000.

If you are not worth millions of dollars and blowing $300,000 resets your financial clock to zero for some heads on the walls and a couple weeks worth of memories think twice about it.

We aren't talking about 2024 prices. We are talking about 2028 prices if you are booking today.

Currently Mexican deserts are $45,000 to $75,000.
New Mexican deserts on the Amanda's are $75,000
Texas deserts are $95,000 to 120,000
Alberta and BC bighorns and Californias are $45,000-85,000
Dalls are $28,000 in Alaska to $45,000 in the NWT with the select outfitters
Stones are $70,000-120,000

So Dall average $35,000 today and $50,000 in 5 years
Stones average $80,000 today and $120,000 in fiver years
Desert average $55,000 in Mexico and $90,000 in the USA and in 5 years $120,000
Bighorns average $60,000 and in five years $80,000

Booked today if you got todays prices you'd be into $230,000 if you were lucky.
Most likely a $290,000 investment in some dead sheep on the wall no one will care about but you.

However saying that if it doesn't hurt you at all do it.

If you want romance and punishment of a tough trip go to Paris and join the Foreign Legion. You'll last a few months and get kicked out, and know true romance.

Mcfish

FNG
A little off topic but the same mind set...

I'm boat shopping and went to look at one last week. It's owned by a mid 60's guy who owns a small business. His wife got into a terrible car wreck a couple of years ago. She barely lived through it.

They decided that that was a sign that they had better get after their bucket lists so they drained both of their retirements and traveled the world for several months.

Now, reality has set in and they're selling off their possessions and retirement is many years away. I felt bad, but not bad enough to give him more than the boat was actually worth.

OP
Mojave

Mojave

WKR
A little off topic but the same mind set...

I'm boat shopping and went to look at one last week. It's owned by a mid 60's guy who owns a small business. His wife got into a terrible car wreck a couple of years ago. She barely lived through it.

They decided that that was a sign that they had better get after their bucket lists so they drained both of their retirements and traveled the world for several months.

Now, reality has set in and they're selling off their possessions and retirement is many years away. I felt bad, but not bad enough to give him more than the boat was actually worth.
100% on point.

I have had family and friends get their lives ripped apart because they did not plan.

My sister is screwed. She is 49 and never worked a day in her life. My brother in law is a good guy, but they have zilch in savings.

She'll get a couple hundred thousand in insurance and have to figure life out if he dies. He is not a very healthy guy.

OP
Mojave

Mojave

WKR
My parents did not plan for nursing home care. My mother needs it, and they own a $700,000 house in Wyoming. They refuse to get a trust going to set themselves up should one of them die and not be able to take care of the other one. I won't even pay for a coffin. If I am paying for it is is the cheapest option. Love my parents but their assets would cover all of this now.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
They refuse to get a trust going to set themselves up should one of them die and not be able to take care of the other one.
They don't need a trust to set themselves up to take care of themselves if the other should die.

I've told my kids multiple times.....I am NOT going into a home. If it ever comes to that, drop me in the mountains and I'm on my own.

You posted a lot of prices......what's a Texas Kudu bow hunt cost these days?

Dennis

WKR
Most important advice I give my kids and grandkids is plan for your future. Taking care of yourself and or your family comes first and you never know what life will throw in your way. Taking advantage of compound interest requires early saving not future savings. Once your nest egg is built and your family secure then consider expensive hunts or whatever. If memory serves, there is about a 50% penalty for early withdraw for a 401 type retirement plan ( there is an age limit like 591/2 or older for no penalty). Please don't take my word for this and follow up with a good tax accountant. If still true a $20,000 trip would require you to take out $40,000 (or so) to pay for your trip. Then consider the loss of $40,000 in compound interest over your lifetime.

Just an old guy watching family and friends who are suffering in their twilight years. The classic line is I want to enjoy life now and I'll just work a few more years, but then health declines or they loose their job.

2531usmc

WKR
The op’s post was in reference to big game hunts. The same can be said for vehicles and boats. I live right off Chesapeake bay and the boat/truck combos simply blow my mind.

Guys that don’t have a nickel in their retirement accounts rolling down the road in a brand new, lifted, F250 towing a cigarette boat.

I suspect as the recession sets in, I’ll see the boats and trucks in the repo yard

npm352

WKR
I got diagnosed with cancer at age 25 and my perspective changed a bit.

I have a middle ground between being responsible and trying to experience things I want to in life.

My dream was the Big Five and I finished this summer.

I'm 40 and have only once owned a vehicle with less than 100,000 miles. Most of my life I drove a 1993 Maxima. I started three side gigs and pay for hunting out of those so I am not dipping into my regular salary to fund hunts.

A few friends think I'm crazy and irresponsible, but one drives an $80,000 truck with a $25,000 side by side and spent $8000 in taxidermy last year. To each his own.

Last edited:

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
Taking out of your 401k or house is a bad idea no way about that but spending money on these hunts even if you are not rich could make sense but I struggle with it too. Tomorrow is never a guarantee and when you are older you may not be able to do these hunts or you may be dead. My dad had a tumor removed from his spine at 21 years old and had to learn to walk again and could never move around the mountains the way most of us do. Something like that could happen to any of us at anytime. Ultimately, decide if one of these hunts is going to give you enough happiness to be worth delaying your retirement an extra 6 months or a year, possibly more when you factor in how much compounding there could be.

The only real solution is either or a combination of live frugally and make more money.

I have started to think that I probably don't need to spend money on sheep or goat hunt to be happy though. I'd rather live more comfortably and spend that time in deer or elk camp each year with close friends. I have had the chance to chase and glass lots of sheep and goats. It was magical, I'm not sure I would find any more joy from them on my wall.

I'm going to keep building points and applying in the places where it makes sense for me and let fate decide for now.

“This is no game for the weak-kneed and faint-hearted. Hunter success is not high, not because there aren’t enough sheep but because there aren’t enough people with the temperament to become sheep hunters.”

—Jack O’Connor, “The Bighorn,” March 1960.