Why used prices on here so high?

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
Ok one more thing bugging me. Boots really people buy used boots? I am not put off by much I would eat off a spoon passed around camp, but I would not wear used boots! Not sure why it bothers me as not much does but feet F that! I can't meme or I would have put that in a meme for yawl.

mlgc20

WKR
66af8s.jpg

Team4LongGun

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok one more thing bugging me. Boots really people buy used boots? I am not put off by much I would eat off a spoon passed around camp, but I would not wear used boots! Not sure why it bothers me as not much does but feet F that! I can't meme or I would have put that in a meme for yawl.

Bruh.....clearly you have not seen the underwear, boxers, socks and first layers for sale. Oh yeah-not a yard sale per se, more like a DNA swap meet. As my kids would say, YUCK. 🤮

Bruh.....clearly you have not seen the underwear, boxers, socks and first layers for sale. Oh yeah-not a yard sale per se, more like a DNA swap meet. As my kids would say, YUCK. 🤮

I’ll buy used baselayers any day, doesn’t bug me a bit. Used boots would have to be an outstanding deal. Like 60%+ off retail.

tdhanses

WKR
You do realize anywhere you buy boots or shoes it is highly likely someone tried them on, maybe even bought them and walked around in their house a few days with them and then returned them.

I don’t think people are really selling well used boots, many buy a few sizes to see what fits and if they don’t fit either return or put them up in the classifieds.

Reactions: WCB

JJJ

Lil-Rokslider
AND OUT OF LEFT FIELD COMES GLOOOM AND DOOOOM! Calm down Marshall Applewhite...This is about used clothing and a dude that is cheap not The Next Level.
Lol, okay dad.
Dudes asking about why the cost of things doesn’t align with his expectations. He better get used to it. It was a naive question to say the least.
As for you. You will be a slave too soon. Don’t worry. Keep your head under the covers.
Come talk to me in a few months

Last edited:

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
You do realize anywhere you buy boots or shoes it is highly likely someone tried them on, maybe even bought them and walked around in their house a few days with them and then returned them.

I don’t think people are really selling well used boots, many buy a few sizes to see what fits and if they don’t fit either return or put them up in the classifieds.
Crap now you have ruined footwear for me!

My latest boots where custom made Nicks Handmade boots, so no one tried them on Ha!

tdhanses

WKR
Crap now you have ruined footwear for me!

My latest boots where custom made Nicks Handmade boots, so no one tried them on Ha!
It’s kinda like how my girlfriend ruined buying new clothes at retail, it all gets tried on and coughed, sneezed and even buggers possibly on stuff, then you have people trying this stuff on that never shower or have bad hygiene practices. But hey it has tags on it and is considered new still 😂

I always look for new price before I list something. Then I roughly estimate taxes and shipping. Then I knock my asking price to just over 50%. Seems reasonable. I’m also open to reasonable offers. I’m also not selling stuff because I really need the money. It’s just stuff that either doesn’t work for me anymore or never did. It can either go to someone who wants to try it out for cheap or it can sit in the bin of extras. I’ve learned that trying to sell electronics (GPS/PLB) is basically pointless so I’ll either keep them as a backup or as I did with my older PLB, give them away for just a bit more than it costs to mail.

WCB

WKR
I think we should elect someone that has to verify the pricing before someone posts. You have to submit a form, they review it and make an overall decision on whether or not your pricing meets a fair standard. If not, you have one shot to justify why you should be able to charge that much.
And make it be a 5% surcharge on the purchase for price verification.

It's pretty simple. $100 retail item, $10 for shipping, $9 for taxes, is $119 to your door from a retailer.

I would buy the same item, like new, from a trusted member for a 20 to 25% discount, ~$90, and I pay the PayPal 3%. That doesn't look like as much of a deal as it really is.

I also know I can turn around and sell it and I'm only out the shipping and 3% Paypal fees.
What happens when you can buy that item with free shipping, and you live in a state that doesn't have to pay sales tax or you find a site that doesn't charge sales tax? You math quickly goes out the window and now you get a 10% discount for a used item, not matter what condition its in its used.

The thought that someone should consider how much sales tax is on a new item from a retailer before buying a used item from a private party doesn't make sense to me - but it does to many others seemingly. It is used, it is from a private seller, someone has messed around with it, worn it, maybe lost some parts or the owners manual, came from a house where someone smokes or it has cat hair on it. Someone mentioned warranties and yes there are some items that the warranty will carry over to the next owner but there are other items that don't. If I buy an item from a retailer and have a problem with it either inside or outside of the warranty period I have a much better chance of them helping me rectify it than I ever would by asking the person I bought the item from used to help me.

tdhanses

WKR
What happens when you can buy that item with free shipping, and you live in a state that doesn't have to pay sales tax or you find a site that doesn't charge sales tax? You math quickly goes out the window and now you get a 10% discount for a used item, not matter what condition its in its used.

The thought that someone should consider how much sales tax is on a new item from a retailer before buying a used item from a private party doesn't make sense to me - but it does to many others seemingly. It is used, it is from a private seller, someone has messed around with it, worn it, maybe lost some parts or the owners manual, came from a house where someone smokes or it has cat hair on it. Someone mentioned warranties and yes there are some items that the warranty will carry over to the next owner but there are other items that don't. If I buy an item from a retailer and have a problem with it either inside or outside of the warranty period I have a much better chance of them helping me rectify it than I ever would by asking the person I bought the item from used to help me.
Or your discounts shrink and the used market may not really be worth it for you.

CorbLand

WKR

Cost benefit analysis is a thing.

For you, the 10% discount isn't worth buying used for someone that is getting a 25% plus discount it may be. Its an odd concept, I know, but taking into account your own situation and making the best decision for you is a pretty good idea.

Last edited: