Why use a Suppressor?

Juan_ID

WKR
With all this efile stuff and seeing posts of approvals in less than a week how is it people are still waiting multiple months? This makes zero sense to me

Juan_ID

WKR
Less than a week on an e-file Form 4?? Or Form 1? If Form 4, can you post a link to the info.

I’ve seen about 2 - 3 months from online dealers for efile Form 4, and I’ve heard similar from a local dealer.

Capitol Armory
View attachment 401474

NFA Tracker shows 15 days for efile Form 1 LLC/Corp, but it’s about 2 months for an efile F1 Trust.
View attachment 401475
I’ve just seen it on social media here’s a couple pics, in the silencershop video there’s a handful that claim 7 day approvals.

Attachments

• 2056646C-A352-4CBA-97A9-9C029EF3515E.png
    2056646C-A352-4CBA-97A9-9C029EF3515E.png
    222.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 2EE429C2-60B7-49AD-9654-09FF86064FB0.png
    2EE429C2-60B7-49AD-9654-09FF86064FB0.png
    954.8 KB · Views: 27

parshal

WKR
Here's their page specific to wait times. Definitely not the norm. The quickest I ever had was two months but all the rest were seven months with a couple at nine months. The last one I got was the longest and that was last year.

Lawnboi

WKR
With all this efile stuff and seeing posts of approvals in less than a week how is it people are still waiting multiple months? This makes zero sense to me
They make no sense what so ever, whether eform or paper. There has never been a “line”. I got approved for my last paper in 5 months where guys were waiting on average 9.

I got two eforms back already both at around 80 days. Now I got nothing to wait for…. Until silencershop gets some ultra 5 and 9 in stock. Maybe a dominus. I don’t know

ptmn

FNG
Glad you guys have the option of a suppressor. Take advantage of it. I'm in the People's Republik of Kalifornia where the Dems ensure we have no options

Seeknelk

WKR
Beside the obvious sound reduction and slight recoil reduction, why do hunters use a suppressor? they make your rifle longer, heavier, and inconvienient to take in and out of a case. And yes "some" rifles shoot better with them, but not all. Seems like such a pain for all negatives above. Why not just use ear plugs?
It's such a smooth shot experience is what I've seen. My Dominus CB felt like LESS recoil than my MBM 5 port beast brake on a 300 prc , 215 Berger at 2950. Maybe the recoil was actually higher but I noticed it less. And I've had headaches from concussion after a few hours of shooting.
Also,.tracking a big bull elk or muley buck with a brake on your barrel is stressful because shots are usually fleeting and there's no time for ear plugs. So I hunted with muffs on my head and try to slide em on my ears super fast. Just sucks. Now I need a 20" barrel tho!

kpalu

FNG
What if my suppressor has a muzzle brake on the end of it??
In our sound testing a muzzle brake on the end of a suppressor redirects some of the noise back at the shooter making the at ear numbers slightly higher. That's the trade off for getting a little more recoil reduction.

Just curious have you ever shot a gun with a suppressor??

I hope to never shoot a gun without one again, total game changer for me

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
This. After owning a free I definitely do not want to shoot without a suppressor

It's such a smooth shot experience is what I've seen. My Dominus CB felt like LESS recoil than my MBM 5 port beast brake on a 300 prc , 215 Berger at 2950. Maybe the recoil was actually higher but I noticed it less. And I've had headaches from concussion after a few hours of shooting.
Also,.tracking a big bull elk or muley buck with a brake on your barrel is stressful because shots are usually fleeting and there's no time for ear plugs. So I hunted with muffs on my head and try to slide em on my ears super fast. Just sucks. Now I need a 20" barrel tho!
That’s cool. I’m waiting on a Dominus Hoping to run it on a 300 win mag for hunting.

How much louder is a 18-20 inch barrel than a 24?Its my understanding that its quit a bit,im not sure but i have heard that.But then you add a supressor .So do you compensate for some of that length cut off.
So take a
6.5 cm with 24 In barrel
20 inch barrel
20 inch barrel with supressor
18 inch barrel with supressor
what estimates do you come up with.

Lawnboi

WKR
How much louder is a 18-20 inch barrel than a 24?Its my understanding that its quit a bit,im not sure but i have heard that.But then you add a supressor .So do you compensate for some of that length cut off.
So take a
6.5 cm with 24 In barrel
20 inch barrel
what estimates

Really loud
Really loud
Not that loud
Not that loud

B23

WKR
So take a
6.5 cm with 24 In barrel
20 inch barrel
what estimates do you come up with.
Not exactly apples to apples but I had my 22-250 chopped from 24 down to 18 and it was definitely noticeably louder, even with a can on it. Suppressed at 18 I can shoot it without ear protection maybe 1-2 times but that's about it, anything more and I'm looking for something to stick in or over my ears. Case size and how much powder you're burning or with shorter barrels, how much you aren't burning, will have an affect as well. My shorty 223AI is considerably quieter with a can on it than is my shorty 22-250.

Gc265

FNG
Here's their page specific to wait times. Definitely not the norm. The quickest I ever had was two months but all the rest were seven months with a couple at nine months. The last one I got was the longest and that was last year.
My wait times have mirrored the above.

Buy one, then forget about it...a few months later you get a phone call that Christmas has arrived...

Gc265

FNG
Also make sure whatever shop you buy from has it in their possession. Otherwise you may have to wait on their transfer approval BEFORE your approval.

Ask me how I know ☹️

Rich M

WKR
I've already lost about 30% of my hearing.
40 Years old and conversations are hit or miss.
Basically can't talk on a phone.
Had to buy hearing aids to even have a chance of hearing bugles.
So yeahhh.
Ear pro sure. But every shot in every scenario? Your gonna loose game.
I’ve been doing exactly this for the last 48 years. Started wearing hearing aids as a kid, everything is still hit and miss hearingwise.

I have one gun that rings my ears, want to suppress it but the waiting lists….

Have arifle w 16 inch barrel and i sure as anything make sure it is out as far as can get it. Big diff between 16 and 18 and no contest for longer barrels being easier on your ears.

Flyjunky

WKR
For the average hunting rifle with a suppressor what is the approximate db that is at the shooters ear?

I've read that most suppressors are in the neighborhood of reducing db's by 23-30? Those are for the first shot with a suppressor and it reduces db's a little less on subsequent shots? The average gunshot is 160db's. That equates to 130-137db's for the average suppressed rifle on the first shot. Does that sound correct? Also, what barrel length are these suppressors tested with?

Most research I can find says that anything over 120db's can cause hearing damage. Obviously a suppressed rifle is going to be better on the ears than unsuppressed but are they still really hearing safe on a hunting/magnum rifle?

The only suppressor I use is on my 223 for varmint hunting.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
That equates to 130-137db's for the average suppressed rifle on the first shot. Does that sound correct? Also, what barrel length are these suppressors tested with?

Yes, 130-135db is about right for most general suppressors. Usually checked with 223 and 308’s barrels from 10-24” generally.

Most research I can find says that anything over 120db's can cause hearing damage. Obviously a suppressed rifle is going to be better on the ears than unsuppressed but are they still really hearing safe on a hunting/magnum rifle?

Sustained levels above 120’ish db cause damage. Impact, short duration infrequent levels of 140db is considered “safe”. I can say that with centerfires and suppressors that drop sound levels at the shooters ear to mid 130 DB’s, used infrequently- I.E., hunting without ear protection for a few shots each day; but wearing ear pro while on the range, has not resulted in any measurable hearing loss with people I am around that have to get their hearing measured every year.

wesfromky

WKR
For the average hunting rifle with a suppressor what is the approximate db that is at the shooters ear?

I've read that most suppressors are in the neighborhood of reducing db's by 23-30? Those are for the first shot with a suppressor and it reduces db's a little less on subsequent shots? The average gunshot is 160db's. That equates to 130-137db's for the average suppressed rifle on the first shot. Does that sound correct? Also, what barrel length are these suppressors tested with?

The only suppressor I use is on my 223 for varmint hunting.
Lot's of info and numbers: