Suppressor and integral brakes - Recoil Reduction

TheCougar

WKR
I’m going to bite the bullet and get a suppressor. It’s for a hunting rifle and will be used for range practice and out in the field, so weight is a factor. Otherwise, recoil reduction (not sound) is my highest priority. I’m shooting a modified Tikka 7RM with a brake on it. As it stands, my son can shoot it with the brake - and it’s tame enough he can practice with it. I’ve got three kids after him, and I want the rifle to be tame enough for them to handle as well.

I understand that a brake reduces recoil by about 50% and suppressors reduce the felt recoil by about 30%. I also know that suppressors slow the recoil impulse down, as well. @Formidilosus however, for a kid I think the total recoil matters as well, not just the loud noise and how fast the recoil impulse hits. A couple of dB matters less to me than a couple of ft-lbs of force.

I’m trying to find the suppressor that gives the greatest “true” recoil reduction, while doing a good job with sound reduction and weight. I’ve seen some suppressors with brake attachments (inside the suppressor) and some with brakes that go on the end of the suppressor (external). I’ve also seen folks saying that these don’t really do much, but it’s hard to find anything definitive.

Now to the question:
1. Do integral brakes make a difference? For example, the Banish Backcountry is supposedly compatible with their Banish muzzle brake attachment.
2. Do the external brakes on the end of the suppressor make a difference? (Omega makes one. Omega isn’t on the list, as it’s way too heavy, but just as an example).
3. Is there a direct correlation between sound reduction and recoil reduction? Meaning, does the suppressor with the most sound reduction also have the most recoil reduction?
4. Is there any one suppressor that stands out for our purposes?

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I think this might be a duplicate thread. I found a similar one, but it didn’t seem to be a final answer there either…

Last edited:

tlsmith22

FNG
I shoot 1000s of rounds a year in PRS and the gold standard for a suppressed brake has been the Area 419 Maverick. Just this past week, Boss Suppressors released a suppressed brake called the top shot. I had an opportunity to test it on a heavy dasher(25 lbs) this past weekend and it done a great job. It has more of a brake feel than the Maverick which has more of a suppressor push to it. I think the sounds suppression was similar between the 2. I am going to do some testing with a 6.5cm next week shooting the 156 bergers to see how it handles a caliber with more recoil.

Weldor

WKR
I have been using a Harvestor 30 with intigrated brake, works well for me.

littlebigtine

Lil-Rokslider
For what it’s worth you can look at the new rr(external brake) suppressors tbac just released side by side with the non-brake magnus versions and compare recoil and suppression. Interesting stuff. I preordered the magnus s rr cb because it has the best recoil reduction and should be just a little louder than my ultra 5( which is definitely tolerable without ear pro in hunting scenarios). I’ll gain some weight on my setup but hopefully some accuracy and the ability to spot more shots in weird positions. It sounds like the hunting crowd is sleeping on these suppressors, but if what tbac states is true( which I trust those guys) it might be the best of both worlds between suppression and recoil management. I also wonder if the brake at the end of the suppressor might be quieter down range because it directs noise horizontally across the position. So maybe in theory it is just as quiet to the animal being shot at as the suppressor without a brake? Big maybe but sounds logical?

Lawnboi

WKR
For what it’s worth you can look at the new rr(external brake) suppressors tbac just released side by side with the non-brake magnus versions and compare recoil and suppression. Interesting stuff. I preordered the magnus s rr cb because it has the best recoil reduction and should be just a little louder than my ultra 5( which is definitely tolerable without ear pro in hunting scenarios). I’ll gain some weight on my setup but hopefully some accuracy and the ability to spot more shots in weird positions. It sounds like the hunting crowd is sleeping on these suppressors, but if what tbac states is true( which I trust those guys) it might be the best of both worlds between suppression and recoil management. I also wonder if the brake at the end of the suppressor might be quieter down range because it directs noise horizontally across the position. So maybe in theory it is just as quiet to the animal being shot at as the suppressor without a brake? Big maybe but sounds logical?
Their recoil data is pretty interesting, even with the non braked suppressors. Looks like there might be something to larger suppressor depending on cartridge.

For guys shooting large magnums with brakes now I see the brakes version being awesome.

I’m hoping they cut recoil as much as they say, sure would be nice to not have to deal with brakes on the firing line.