Why use a Suppressor?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I shot some prs a few years back, enough to burn up about 10k rounds between a 6.5 creed, 260 rem, 223, and 6 dasher. Bunch of it through a brake and always with foam plugs or muffs. Haven’t had any testing done, but I think I lost a little hearing over that time just from the concussion. No problem to get a ringing in the ears after firing 10 braked rounds stuffed into a concrete culvert, or conex box. No matter what earpro.

I don’t play those games any more, but exclusively use my suppressor now. Brakes suck.
After a year or so of PRS, with ear muffs, I can notice that my left ear, the one exposed to the brake has more ringing that the right. I think those of us who have shot thousands of rounds in a year have a different understanding than most.

Lawnboi

WKR
After a year or so of PRS, with ear muffs, I can notice that my left ear, the one exposed to the brake has more ringing that the right. I think those of us who have shot thousands of rounds in a year have a different understanding than most.
Idk how guys shooting prs can deal with just muffs off just plugs. I double up. It’s not the most comfortable at the end of the day but it helps. That and sealed glasses. But after 100 rounds it’s still common I have a headache by the end. Not really from me but from spotting and getting blasted all day.

Not really from me but from spotting and getting blasted all day.

I agree with this, as the shooter your exposure is different than a spotter or bystander. I think bone conduction through the stock and facial bones is a large factor though. No data to back this up, but I do own a set of those headphones that use the principle.

Brakes suck.

kpalu

FNG
I agree with this, as the shooter your exposure is different than a spotter or bystander. I think bone conduction through the stock and facial bones is a large factor though. No data to back this up, but I do own a set of those headphones that use the principle.

Brakes suck.

Soft tissue is the clearest/easiest path. I actually studied this in grad school but the input was the primary shock front from explosives rather than gun shots (similar wave structure but different intensities). When transmitting a pressure wave from air to soft tissue the impedance difference is less than when transmitting from air to bone so in the soft tissue case more of the pressure wave gets transmitted into your head via stress wave propagation. Anytime a pressure wave or stress wave hits a material boundary/interface part of the wave goes into the new material and part of it gets reflected back. The more different the materials the more that gets reflected back.

From the gun stock you will feel the movement of the rifle impacting your check more than the stress wave transmitting from the stock into your head.

Lawnboi

WKR

Brakes suck.
I actually wear Wiley x glasses with gaskets in them as well when around a lot of brakes.

Most of the time it’s not too bad. If everyone else went to suppressor I would too. But for the reasons I mentioned above I’m sticking with a brake. Actually have been really impressed with the a419 hellfire match diverting concussion from the shooter. Still a loud SOB.

I’m not sure of the solution besides get rid of the brakes. I feel bad for the guys running just plugs or muffs, your looking at what 32 db reduction max. Shooting just plugs for me without a suppressor gets me punching the trigger anticipating the sound alone.

fwafwow

WKR
I actually wear Wiley x glasses with gaskets in them as well when around a lot of brakes.
Thank you for this. I'm constantly looking for ways to reduce my sound and concussive exposure. I wear glasses, but until recently I had not thought of the glasses as anything beyond eye pro. Which Wiley glasses are you using, and am I correct that they are the "sealed glasses" you reference in post #63?

I don't shoot with a brake, or indoors or much, so I do realize that wearing goggles on a skeet course might result in some ribbing. But if I go to the range with my rifle, or decide the protection is worth it with a shotgun, I won't give a shit.

Lawnboi

WKR
Thank you for this. I'm constantly looking for ways to reduce my sound and concussive exposure. I wear glasses, but until recently I had not thought of the glasses as anything beyond eye pro. Which Wiley glasses are you using, and am I correct that they are the "sealed glasses" you reference in post #63?

I don't shoot with a brake, or indoors or much, so I do realize that wearing goggles on a skeet course might result in some ribbing. But if I go to the range with my rifle, or decide the protection is worth it with a shotgun, I won't give a shit.
Wiley x bricks, the foam gaskets are removable. They make a whole bunch that have gaskets that are removable.

Plus they are safety rated

Juan_ID

WKR
I have followed this thread for a while, you are all making me want a suppressor for multiple reasons. Though the 223 loaded with a stout charge of xbr and 77tmk punishing my shoulder causing a definite flinch is probably the main driving factor in my lust for a suppressor…

fwafwow

WKR
Wiley x bricks, the foam gaskets are removable. They make a whole bunch that have gaskets that are removable.

Plus they are safety rated
Awesome - thank you. And those don't look too "I want to pretend I'm not a civilian" for me to wear.

The use of the gaskets seems to make sense to reduce any concussion that comes through the glasses, but I don't see anything on their website touting that benefit. Is that a known benefit or just one that is common sense? I'm not trying to quibble (too much), but I ask because at one point I thought a helmet would reduce concussive effects, but apparently there is at least one study that says that some helmets might make the impact worse. I can't imagine that would be the case with a simple gasket on glasses, but it did get me to think about it. And of course, if the gaskets DO work, then I will go down an inevitable rabbit hole of comparing all of the options out there....

seand

WKR
I have considered the 280 AI. What would recoil be in a light rifle? 7.25 lbs? Wondering if 6.5 PRC would be less recoil in the same rifle.
Yes, the 6.5 PRC will recoil less, it has less case capacity than a 280ai. And for like BC’s… less bullet weight too.

280ai = 7 saum

Lawnboi

WKR
Awesome - thank you. And those don't look too "I want to pretend I'm not a civilian" for me to wear.

The use of the gaskets seems to make sense to reduce any concussion that comes through the glasses, but I don't see anything on their website touting that benefit. Is that a known benefit or just one that is common sense? I'm not trying to quibble (too much), but I ask because at one point I thought a helmet would reduce concussive effects, but apparently there is at least one study that says that some helmets might make the impact worse. I can't imagine that would be the case with a simple gasket on glasses, but it did get me to think about it. And of course, if the gaskets DO work, then I will go down an inevitable rabbit hole of comparing all of the options out there....
No science from me. Makes high winds nice on the boat though. I figure a buffer for the sinus’ could only help.

parshal

WKR
I have about seven suppressors. I like being able to shoot in the yard and nobody really know what's going on. Especially at night at coyotes.

I've been shooting NRL/PRS for the last two years and use brakes. They are far better at reducing recoil than a suppressor and spotting your hits/misses is critical to making the next shot adjustment. Spotting my shots is now my most important part of any shooting, especially hunting.

Someone asked what the difference is between a brake and suppressor on a magnum as far as recoil. The answer is 'noticeable'. Noticeable enough that, on my 65SS, I have to reduce the loads if I want to easily spot my shots using the suppressor. I've now decided to hunt that way: reduce loads until I can easily spot with a suppressor.

Someone will most certainly say they can spot their shots with a suppressor just as easily as with a brake. Maybe so. But my experience has shown that it's much more difficult.

I have about seven suppressors. I like being able to shoot in the yard and nobody really know what's going on. Especially at night at coyotes.

I've been shooting NRL/PRS for the last two years and use brakes. They are far better at reducing recoil than a suppressor and spotting your hits/misses is critical to making the next shot adjustment. Spotting my shots is now my most important part of any shooting, especially hunting.

Someone asked what the difference is between a brake and suppressor on a magnum as far as recoil. The answer is 'noticeable'. Noticeable enough that, on my 65SS, I have to reduce the loads if I want to easily spot my shots using the suppressor. I've now decided to hunt that way: reduce loads until I can easily spot with a suppressor.

Someone will most certainly say they can spot their shots with a suppressor just as easily as with a brake. Maybe so. But my experience has shown that it's much more difficult.
That’s good info.