Why are American branded trucks and most American branded vehicles so unreliable?

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry but I can't just read the comments without adding my 2 cents. Full disclosure Nissan employee #110634. I was an Engineering Manager at the Nissan Canton Mississippi plant for 8 years where we make the Titan, Frontier and Altima. My last project before moving back to Michigan to care for my aging father in law was launching the new Frontier with a great team of people. Very proud of that truck. I now work remote in Michigan addressing supplier issues and creating engineering training material and then going out and training our engineers on the material I created. Just got back from training some engineers in Mexico last night - but I go all over. Great gig. Overall I have 35 years experience working in the automotive industry. A total of 10 years at Nissan but I've worked on projects for the Ford Mustang, F250, and Lincoln as well as the Honda Accord and Civic.

The first comment I feel like I have to make is in regards the neverquit's comment above about chuckling when he sees stars and strips flying on a "Japanese Truck". The Frontier is designed in the US, the engine is assembled in the US with many US parts. Most of the parts going into the Frontier are manufactured in the US. Point being when a product has a Japanese name on the emblem, it doesn't mean less American workers were involved in creating that product. That said, if you still want to chuckle, I'm ok with that. I don't care. To me it shows a lack of understanding. "American Trucks" have AT LEAST 15% of it's parts shipped in from other counties if not more - some up to 30%.

Anyway - as you all know, vehicles are pretty complex machines. Unfortunately every manufacturer has had issues of some sort in the past. I believe the consumer ultimately drives vehicle quality. If consumers accept poor quality, manufacturers feel less pressure to make improvements. When consumers don't accept poor quality, the manufacturer must change and produce a quality product or they will fail. There are lots of complex examples of why poor vehicles are made that I could write a book about - but in the end the consumer drives the automotive companies to produce the products they make. If they didn't, they would have been out of business a long time ago.

You can get pretty far along in life owning 3 vehicles - if they are Toyotas.

In my adult life for trucks I went from T-100, to Tacoma, to Tundra and that got me to nearly 50 years old. I own a F250 now, but that is only because Toyota doesn't make a 3/4 ton.
Yeah you could. But, it’s akin to saying you grill the perfect steak the day you bought your first grill. That’s not saying your first steak wasn’t great. Im saying it might not be the way you cook your 10th one.

Sapcut

WKR
Sorry but I can't just read the comments without adding my 2 cents. Full disclosure Nissan employee #110634. I was an Engineering Manager at the Nissan Canton Mississippi plant for 8 years where we make the Titan, Frontier and Altima. My last project before moving back to Michigan to care for my aging father in law was launching the new Frontier with a great team of people. Very proud of that truck. I now work remote in Michigan addressing supplier issues and creating engineering training material and then going out and training our engineers on the material I created. Just got back from training some engineers in Mexico last night - but I go all over. Great gig. Overall I have 35 years experience working in the automotive industry. A total of 10 years at Nissan but I've worked on projects for the Ford Mustang, F250, and Lincoln as well as the Honda Accord and Civic.

The first comment I feel like I have to make is in regards the neverquit's comment above about chuckling when he sees stars and strips flying on a "Japanese Truck". The Frontier is designed in the US, the engine is assembled in the US with many US parts. Most of the parts going into the Frontier are manufactured in the US. Point being when a product has a Japanese name on the emblem, it doesn't mean less American workers were involved in creating that product. That said, if you still want to chuckle, I'm ok with that. I don't care. To me it shows a lack of understanding. "American Trucks" have AT LEAST 15% of it's parts shipped in from other counties if not more - some up to 30%.

Anyway - as you all know, vehicles are pretty complex machines. Unfortunately every manufacturer has had issues of some sort in the past. I believe the consumer ultimately drives vehicle quality. If consumers accept poor quality, manufacturers feel less pressure to make improvements. When consumers don't accept poor quality, the manufacturer must change and produce a quality product or they will fail. There are lots of complex examples of why poor vehicles are made that I could write a book about - but in the end the consumer drives the automotive companies to produce the products they make. If they didn't, they would have been out of business a long time ago.
I appreciate your experience in the auto industry but how do you explain the horrible quality track record of Chrylser, GM and Chevy transmissions, Jeep death wobble, etc., etc.,?.....other than the be American buy American mindset. It appears those purchases had zero to do with buying for quality. And has been going on for many many years.

From what I see in stats and on the road, I don't think quality has much to do with many American auto purchases but rather the luxury factor, the cool factor and the American made factor. I've always wonder why the pressure is put on Americans to buy American instead of the pressure be on American makers to make better products.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Exactly the spin a quitter would put on it.
Ideally, one would choose wisely from the start. But lots of folks change jobs and/or companies without being "quitters". They mostly do that because they are achievers, and "choose" upward mobility. But sometimes it is in fact because the company they "chose" to work for isn't what they expected or feel is in their best interest for the future. You can call them whatever you want, but folks have to look out for themselves and their family's best interests. Some do that on their own. Others think they need a union to do that for them.

Ideally, one would choose wisely from the start. But lots of folks change jobs and/or companies without being "quitters". They mostly do that because they are achievers, and "choose" upward mobility. But sometimes it is in fact because the company they "chose" to work for isn't what they expected or feel is in their best interest for the future. You can call them whatever you want, but folks have to look out for themselves and their family's best interests. Some do that on their own. Others think they need a union to do that for them.
So if you're not in a union you're looking out for your family's best interests.
But if your union your just a piece of shit slob i see lazy and an under achiever.

Or maybe Union members are the rite ones and non represented people are to stupid to see the forest thru the trees.

But you do you make i could give a crap .
Wtf are we talking about this shit on a hunting forum any ways.

Toyota has averaged about 109k Tundras sold per year for the last 10 years. Ford has averaged 798k F150's per years for the last 10 years.

My point is this, if they had the EXACT same reliability rate, you're roughly 8x more likely to hear about a problem or failure on the Ford, than you are on the Toyota.
I bought my wife's 4runner new 18 years ago and my tundra new 12 years ago. Still driving both daily, no leaks or major repairs. I plan to keep them both until I deem them unreliable.

I feel toyota has a much lower replacement sales rate than most domestic trucks. Just my opinion.

ChrisA

WKR
Disclaimer: I didn't read most of the 7 pages here but felt like I needed to report my findings. I changed jobs in 2017 and went from 20 years of a company vehicle to driving my own. I bought a new 2017 Silverado 1500 LTZ, then traded for a 2019 Silverado Trail Boss, then a 2021 Trail Boss with 6.2L, and now a 2023 Trail Boss 6.2L.

Other than a whistling mirror on the '21, which was replaced under warranty, I've had zero issues with these newer Chevys. I'll admit I was not a fan of the 8-speed transmission in the '19 but these new 10-speeds are nice; love the 6.2L engines too.

OP
J

Jbrow327

FNG
Disclaimer: I didn't read most of the 7 pages here but felt like I needed to report my findings. I changed jobs in 2017 and went from 20 years of a company vehicle to driving my own. I bought a new 2017 Silverado 1500 LTZ, then traded for a 2019 Silverado Trail Boss, then a 2021 Trail Boss with 6.2L, and now a 2023 Trail Boss 6.2L.

Other than a whistling mirror on the '21, which was replaced under warranty, I've had zero issues with these newer Chevys. I'll admit I was not a fan of the 8-speed transmission in the '19 but these new 10-speeds are nice; love the 6.2L engines too.
You can't have issues if you trade them that often.

Or maybe you all are virtuous Assholes that think your better then everybody. And enjoy putting people down.
Lol triggered much? People that aren’t represented are too stupid to see. Yet if I was “represented” I would have been laid off when they cut 480 of the 500 employees. Because they didn’t lay off by seniority I kept my job. I got multiple raises last year. If I was “represented” would I of got multiple raises while other employees got zero last year? I’ll sink or swim on my own merits. I don’t need anyone or a group to “represent” me.

I saw multiple Tacoma’s lose a ball joint or something on logging roads growing up. The fender would be dented since the tire was shoved into it. I didn’t see many issues with the big 3 but they were usually 250/2500 or bigger trucks.

Now days it seems like it’s luck of the draw. Some people have only had issues with one brand. While someone else with that brand has zero issues and loves it.

Lol triggered much? People that aren’t represented are too stupid to see. Yet if I was “represented” I would have been laid off when they cut 480 of the 500 employees. Because they didn’t lay off by seniority I kept my job. I got multiple raises last year. If I was “represented” would I of got multiple raises while other employees got zero last year? I’ll sink or swim on my own merits. I don’t need anyone or a group to “represent” me.
Yeah I'm triggered, I'm a hard working American that ads value trys hard and does a good job.and has a good career with benefits and retirement that exceed pretty much every one.
But there are a few members in this thread that have implied im a low life worthless piece of shit because I pay dues.
I should quit my career to try and be as virtuous as you all because you think I'm the problem with America.

Broomd

WKR
I've always looked at unions as the cause of low quality and American made products being too expensive. You have an organization that rewards you based on time served, not competence. You end up with a useless moron making $50/hr putting on lug nuts and they can never be fired. Unions had a place, I think that time has passed. Now they are just corrupt. My industry has no unions and I am very well paid.

All of my experiences with union contractors have been similar. Work starts at 6:30. It takes an hr to get the plan and get your tools ready. Work from 7:30-8:30. Put tools away for 30 min. Go on break. Back from break 9:30. Get tools out. Work from 10:00 to 11:30. Put tools away for 30 min. Lunch. Back from lunch 12:30. Get tools out 30 min. Work from 1-2:30. Pack tools for 30 min and leave at 3. The other thing that is awesome is I need contractors from 3 different unions, all with a foreman if it involves different trades. I've seen situations where we had to have a mechanical guy to disconnect a pipe fitting and an electrical guy to disconnect a wire. Probably cost $1000 for 5 minutes of actual work. We do all of it. But I'm an untrained scab stealing American jobs, so I've been told. Over the years I've been threatened and also seen things broken and sabotaged. I have met some really good people too but my overall experience has been negative.
Yep, unions are masters of intimidation, the same ones who saved the Chinese from being brutalized 150 years ago now brutalize anyone in their path. Amazing how these things come full circle.
One could argue that the NEA has done more to destroy our country than any one entity. It's despicable.

Broomd

WKR
Yeah I'm triggered, I'm a hard working American that ads value trys hard and does a good job.and has a good career with benefits and retirement that exceed pretty much every one.
But there are a few members in this thread that have implied im a low life worthless piece of shit because I pay dues.
I should quit my career to try and be as virtuous as you all because you think I'm the problem with America.
Nah, not true BR. That's a poor reply to this conversation. It isn't personal. I haven't questioned your patriotism and hard work. In fact, flat out stated that many fine Americans are union members.
If your union experience has benefited you I'd expect no less that complete loyalty; and your postings reflect that.

I'd just ask that you see the forest for the trees, as many of us also have union experience that was far less stellar. And WE HAVE EYES. We see wth is going on in politics today and the unions role in all of that leftist, woke madness.

WRO

WKR
JD power is a joke.

With regards to recalls my last f150 had 7k in shop bills in 120k miles before the engine blew and I took a bath on it.

Every item I had an issue with the were thousands of people on the internet who seemed to have matching problems.

My current Tacoma had the needle bearing go out, common issue, and my truck was already lifted. Toyota paid for the aftermarket fix. Stereo acted up, immediately replaced under warranty, other than that 0 issues in 120k miles.

My last 3 went 750k miles under hard ownership with the only issue being a starter failing at 260k miles.

You can watch YouTube and see all of the transmission and spun crank Chevy issues on the newer ones. Ford has a shitload of electrical gremlins etc. dodges are no better.

The first year tundra will be interesting to see how it holds up equality wise.

If you get a new rig every 60k miles, then it’s no big deal, if you hold onto your rigs different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah, not true BR. That's a poor reply to this conversation. It isn't personal. I haven't questioned your patriotism and hard work. In fact, flat out stated that many fine Americans are union mmbers.
If your union experience has benefited you I'd expect no less that complete loyalty; and your postings reflect that.

I'd just ask that you see the forest for the trees, as many of us also have union experience that was far less stellar. And WE HAVE EYES. We see wth is going on in politics today and the unions role in all of that leftist, woke madness.
I don't really know how to multi quote but if you look back thru the thread unions have been called low quality producing morons, and told we didn't choose our careers wisely and that we should quit to choose freedom.
Seems pretty personal to me.

Broomd

WKR
I don't really know how to multi quote but if you look back thru the thread unions have been called low quality producing morons, and told we didn't choose our careers wisely and that we should quit to choose freedom.
Seems pretty personal to me.
Well, you've been given notice from this poster that is isn't. And I loathe unions! Have been a part of several over my lifetime and wish I had the same outcome as you, alas I didn't. On the contrary, they were money-hungry, politically-motivated thieves.

One can walk around with a chip on his shoulder, or he can respect that others have equally strong opinions about a subject.