Who's going to the Kifaru Grand Opening Party?

They’ve made/make quite a few streamlined bags. They’ve been doing it for a while. It doesn’t get anymore minimalist then an Apollo. Which they discounted several years ago. Todays streamlined offerings have load slings versus shelves on older streamlined bags.

All that to say they’ve made the lightest hunting pack known to man. Coming in way lighter then competitors are making today. With lighter weight material. They discontinued that one as well.

With weight savings comes compromises. Which Kifaru has obviously decided isn’t in their market strategy. Or, they’d still be doing it. And, if 12-16 ounces of weight deters pack buyers, they’ve learned to accept it versus replacing fabric from reefing on compression straps. Or, from getting a horn poked through it. Or, a stick puncturing it. Etc….

It’s their calling to build the most durable, comfortable pack on the planet. If that means buying lighter boots to offset the weight difference, then so be it.

MattB

WKR
Fair points, and I'm not party to the inner workings, so I could be very wrong with my perception. Sounds like you've been using them quite a bit longer than I have.

No question that I think Patrick was at a disadvantage in the marketing side, and Aron has a much better handle on that part of the business.

Like the above poster, I'd like to see them add some really streamlined bags with some of the new fabrics. The Duplex frame is great with triple digit weight, and some lighter bags would pair well, seems like.

Maybe they're still hesitant from some of the issues people had with the KU series.
They have dabbled in bags with Xpac but it doesn't seem that is what their customer base is demanding. That material has care requirements that suggest it is higher maintenance/less durable than 500d cordura.

woods89

WKR
They have dabbled in bags with Xpac but it doesn't seem that is what their customer base is demanding. That material has care requirements that suggest it is higher maintenance/less durable than 500d cordura.
I suppose if I wanted to put my money where my mouth is I could get Rugged Stitching to custom make me a bag. We are spoiled with options these days!
My buddy uses a Duplex frame with an Exo bag. It hooks up well and he loves it.

MattB

WKR
I suppose if I wanted to put my money where my mouth is I could get Rugged Stitching to custom make me a bag. We are spoiled with options these days!
My buddy uses a Duplex frame with an Exo bag. It hooks up well and he loves it.
For some, the best of both worlds, But we do live in a wonderful time that we can spend our free time having these discussions.

Good luck this season.

woods89

WKR
They’ve made/make quite a few streamlined bags. They’ve been doing it for a while. It doesn’t get anymore minimalist then an Apollo. Which they discounted several years ago. Todays streamlined offerings have load slings versus shelves on older streamlined bags.

All that to say they’ve made the lightest hunting pack known to man. Coming in way lighter then competitors are making today. With lighter weight material. They discontinued that one as well.

With weight savings comes compromises. Which Kifaru has obviously decided isn’t in their market strategy. Or, they’d still be doing it. And, if 12-16 ounces of weight deters pack buyers, they’ve learned to accept it versus replacing fabric from reefing on compression straps. Or, from getting a horn poked through it. Or, a stick puncturing it. Etc….

It’s their calling to build the most durable, comfortable pack on the planet. If that means buying lighter boots to offset the weight difference, then so be it.
Part of my issue is that I'd rather have a simple, slick bag no less than 4-5000 cubic inches than the Stryker/Hellbender type designs. Kifaru has made some, but they are not as slick as what Stone Glacier is putting out. And while I'm sure there are some trade offs, people are not exactly tearing up Stone Glacier packs right and left.
A decent solution for me has been an older Highcamp 4800 bag. Still Cordura, but pretty minimalistic. I also use a DT1 a fair bit, and like it, but the weight certainly starts adding up.
As discussed above, these are first world issues. Good luck out there!

Anyone going? Were going down to to Lander to make a mini vacation out of it. We've been busy building a house and shop so this will be our only trip this summer.
I won't make it out. I was planning to see the in Colorado before they moved but never made it out. I'd like to know when they will start shipping again and if I order a pack if it will be here in time for my hunt late Oct. I really want a RG Kifaru 44 mag.

OP
hunterjmj

hunterjmj

WKR
I won't make it out. I was planning to see the in Colorado before they moved but never made it out. I'd like to know when they will start shipping again and if I order a pack if it will be here in time for my hunt late Oct. I really want a RG Kifaru 44 mag.
I'm guessing it's going to take them a bit to catch up. I ordered the Kutthroat on May 25 and I haven't received it yet. I knew it was going to be a bit so I don't mind but i doubt you'd get it before October.

I agree. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I think guys get wayyyyy to hung up on the fact that a Kifaru may way up to 2 pounds more than a Seek or other compatible packs with less durable materials that are probably shipped from China. I'll take the weight penalty knowing that 2 pounds ain't shit to me on the mountain. Heck, i pack in a thicker pad and thicker bag than most and a camp chair and will outlast most in the back country even though I'm going in with 55 to 65 pounds on my back depending on how long i plan to stay. Those couple creature comforts allow me to recover quickly from the days hunt.

Nik

Lil-Rokslider
I'd love to but I no longer live in Colorado. I always wanted to go to their storefront but never made it around to it.

Nik

Lil-Rokslider
Kifaru doesn’t live in CO anymore either. Hence the grand opening.
Fully aware. They're moving to Cheyenne area right?

I used to live an hour from them, and 3 from Cheyenne. I'm not 20 hours from them unfortunately 😥

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fully aware. They're moving to Cheyenne area right?

I used to live an hour from them, and 3 from Cheyenne. I'm not 20 hours from them unfortunately 😥
Riverton, which is four hours from Cheyenne or about six hours from the old location.

OP
hunterjmj

hunterjmj

WKR
We need WKR t-shirts so we'll know who's who. The problem would be if jlhois was at the party he'd think one of us stole his boal.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Interesting dynamic at Kifaru for sure. Aron went silent on Frank's departure while everyone else bid him well wishes. I'm waiting on a Door Gunner that I ordered at the end of May. I knew darn well shipping would be delayed for many weeks when I placed the order but still a bit soured on the wait. I'm sure that will dissipate quickly when the package arrives. I hope Kifaru does well following the move.
Aron made it clear when asked on his Instagram story Sunday night that it was a last- minute decision by Frank to stay in Colorado because of family. Of course Rokslide likes a bunch of made up drama, so people will probably accuse him of lying.

Regarding weight:

An English perspective.
So frames in Europe all went internal meaning if you wanted an external frame you had to go back in time to either aluminium H framed back packing packs or steal framed military packs that are ww1 - ww2 period. The older packs being heavy duty canvas.
I'll not bother going into brands and models, but I settled on old steal frame military packs, and then got ally H framed to work with them where possible.
I was going to then tailor a modern military pack to fit on an ally frame.
All those options are alot better than internal packs for *me* and my back and money.

Then I found kifaru.
I have no issues with the weight. 😂
They are light A.F. whilst still being bomb proof.

Like someone mentioned above,you can always make or get someone else to make a custom pack for your needs if you want to.
Kifaru sell straps and clips, so it would be very easy to make it integrate with their frame.
Go for it.
I love them as is, though. 👍

Last edited:
I bought a Mt Smith climbers pack from Patrick...probably 30 years ago. He customized it for me. Had no idea he was a hunter when I got it. Used it for one or two night hunts, but the belt was marginal. Still have it but don't use it very much.

Got a Gen 1 Long Hunter from Kifaru year 2000. Still works fine, just packed out my black bear in it 5 weeks ago. Packed many CO elk, a BC moose, lots of bears and deer. Its held up phenomenally!

Bought a KU5200 from Kifaru in 2011 or'12, forget when. I love it for a back-country day hunting pack...about 3 pounds with the UL Gunbearer, UL water bottle pocket and UL belt pocket. I didn't like it as well for a backpack for archery sheep hunting, and packing out a ram in it wasn't great either but I happily suffered through it! The KU5200 held up well to the abuse of eight different 10 day to 2 week sheep hunts plus numerous deer and bear hunts with the exception of the water bottle pocket. My wife rebuilt it a year or two back due to the Sil Nylon wearing through. The barreling when the pack was fully loaded was not comfortable though. I use it a bunch every year.

Got a Kifaru Reckoning in 2017. Great pack, used it on three trips to the NWT, and probably 10 trips to northern BC. Packed a lot of meat in it, including carrying a mountain caribou and camp for 5 days from the kill site to the lake where the float plane picked us up. It is definitely the best of the Kifaru packs I've owned for carrying heavy loads of meat and backpack camps a long ways in rough terrain. Not looking to upgrade anytime soon.

And good luck to Aaron and Kifaru at his new WY location! Can understand why he wanted out of CO!

OP
hunterjmj

hunterjmj

WKR
I bought a Mt Smith climbers pack from Patrick...probably 30 years ago. He customized it for me. Had no idea he was a hunter when I got it. Used it for one or two night hunts, but the belt was marginal. Still have it but don't use it very much.

Got a Gen 1 Long Hunter from Kifaru year 2000. Still works fine, just packed out my black bear in it 5 weeks ago. Packed many CO elk, a BC moose, lots of bears and deer. Its held up phenomenally!

Bought a KU5200 from Kifaru in 2011 or'12, forget when. I love it for a back-country day hunting pack...about 3 pounds with the UL Gunbearer, UL water bottle pocket and UL belt pocket. I didn't like it as well for a backpack for archery sheep hunting, and packing out a ram in it wasn't great either but I happily suffered through it! The KU5200 held up well to the abuse of eight different 10 day to 2 week sheep hunts plus numerous deer and bear hunts with the exception of the water bottle pocket. My wife rebuilt it a year or two back due to the Sil Nylon wearing through. The barreling when the pack was fully loaded was not comfortable though. I use it a bunch every year.

Got a Kifaru Reckoning in 2017. Great pack, used it on three trips to the NWT, and probably 10 trips to northern BC. Packed a lot of meat in it, including carrying a mountain caribou and camp for 5 days from the kill site to the lake where the float plane picked us up. It is definitely the best of the Kifaru packs I've owned for carrying heavy loads of meat and backpack camps a long ways in rough terrain. Not looking to upgrade anytime soon.

And good luck to Aaron and Kifaru at his new WY location! Can understand why he wanted out of CO!
My dad and I both bought Kifaru Long hunters in 2000 or 2001. Still have them and use it as a dedicated meat hauler. I run a Minikeg now and ordered the Kutthroat back in May.

WI Shedhead

Lil-Rokslider
You recieve your cutthroat yet? Trying to get a feel for how far behind they are shipping