Who's going to the Kifaru Grand Opening Party?

johaw

FNG
It will be interesting to see what happens to their ability to ship/receive during the winter. The Interstates and Highways get closed often for 1 - 24 hours.

Ucsdryder

WKR
It will be interesting to see what happens to their ability to ship/receive during the winter. The Interstates and Highways get closed often for 1 - 24 hours.
I don’t think that’s a concern when most of their estimates are usually 3-7 months out anyway.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought the same thing but where they are moving from gets so gridlocked it’s almost the same thing.

Will their stuff still have to go out through Denver’s airport I wonder? Everything logistically seems challenging from Riverton.

ErikT

FNG
Interesting dynamic at Kifaru for sure. Aron went silent on Frank's departure while everyone else bid him well wishes. I'm waiting on a Door Gunner that I ordered at the end of May. I knew darn well shipping would be delayed for many weeks when I placed the order but still a bit soured on the wait. I'm sure that will dissipate quickly when the package arrives. I hope Kifaru does well following the move.

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
Choosing where to live is vastly different from choosing where to place a warehouse that needs to ship year-round
Yes. I have business acquaintances that opted to locate their operations adjacent to a shipping hub at the edge of an airport.

S.Clancy

WKR
Winter doesn't crack the top 5 or maybe 10 reasons not to live in Riverton. Lol.
Exactly. I've been through Riverton a fair bit and really wouldn't want to live there. Kind of a shit hole and right next to the reservation.

I understand it from a business perpective tho. Much cheaper housing and business real estate is better for the employees and bottom line.

johaw

FNG
I don’t think that’s a concern when most of their estimates are usually 3-7 months out anyway.
Ouch. I guess I've been lucky in the past. I think my longest wait time was 6 weeks, although I'm now on week 12 of my most recent purchase (but I knew this would be a longer wait with their move). Here's hoping they start shipping soon.

MattB

WKR
I just don't see the kind of innovation that some other companies have. It's true, their stuff is bombproof, and the duplex frame design works great, but you can't ride current designs forever. I think Patrick Smith is responsible for the reputation we've come to know, and I wonder if current management has gotten a little too comfortable riding that reputation.
I have been using Kifaru products since well before Aron was involved with the company (back when you could get them in any color you wanted, so long as it was black), and I think you have presented a really inaccurate perspective on the company's history. Patrick is a gifted designer, but he was anything but innovative when running Kifaru. It was not until Aron joined and Patrick ceded management control that the company developed the reputation we've come to know. My sense is they do not want to sacrifice weight for durability, so I wouldn't expect them to compete weight-wise with some of the other high end hunting pack companies. If you think that represents a lack of innovation, so be it.

Ten Bears

WKR
I have been using Kifaru products since well before Aron was involved with the company (back when you could get them in any color you wanted, so long as it was black), and I think you have presented a really inaccurate perspective on the company's history. Patrick is a gifted designer, but he was anything but innovative when running Kifaru. It was not until Aron joined and Patrick ceded management control that the company developed the reputation we've come to know. My sense is they do not want to sacrifice weight for durability, so I wouldn't expect them to compete weight-wise with some of the other high end hunting pack companies. If you think that represents a lack of innovation, so be it.

good points Matt.

we should also give them a second to get settled in the new shop with the new partners to see what happens.

would love to see some new materials for the bags on those bomber frames.

woods89

WKR
Fair points, and I'm not party to the inner workings, so I could be very wrong with my perception. Sounds like you've been using them quite a bit longer than I have.

No question that I think Patrick was at a disadvantage in the marketing side, and Aron has a much better handle on that part of the business.

Like the above poster, I'd like to see them add some really streamlined bags with some of the new fabrics. The Duplex frame is great with triple digit weight, and some lighter bags would pair well, seems like.

Maybe they're still hesitant from some of the issues people had with the KU series.