Who has done the research on the new Tundra?

Mountain_Life

Lil-Rokslider
Wow no love for the new Tundra here. I drove a lot of new trucks without any brand bias and ended up with a 23 tundra TRD. I am pretty neutral on it. Most of the new features on trucks are fairly universal across the brands. I chose it because I suspect it will hold more value when I dump it at 90k miles and because it has more power and a better interior than the Ford. Which is opposite of @bowhuntercoop opinion, but it probably is all subjective to very small differences. 9-10k miles in with zero issues so far, but that should be expected with any of them.

I will say that I wouldn't ever buy any of the new trucks and expect them to hold up to the abuse that the older generation vehicles did. There's way too much plastic and sensor/electronic stuff to break and fail.

ikeG

FNG
If reliability is your larger deciding factor, go with less turbos and electrical junk everytime. No matter the brand.

Yes they run good. Yes they may last a long time. But there's more things to go wrong, more things to leak, more complexity to diagnose and repair.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I went with the new f150 over the tundra and I’m diehard Toyota guy. Was not impressed driving the new one power wise compared to the F150 and the 2.7 in the ford is pretty bullet proof. Plus the interior is much nicer in the ford.
I used to be a Ford guy. Not touching one now.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
If reliability is your larger deciding factor, go with less turbos and electrical junk everytime. No matter the brand.

Yes they run good. Yes they may last a long time. But there's more things to go wrong, more things to leak, more complexity to diagnose and repair.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
I agree, but that’s not possible with the new Tundra. Hence this post.

Man, I was in the market for a new truck a few weeks ago, wanting to go from a Cummins to a half ton. I was sold on a new 1794 tundra. I had an 18 TRD Off road that I absolutely loved. The new Tundras have some serious problems. The twin turbo V6 and hybrids suck, MPGs are worse than the V8. There are issues with the transmissions overheating. Car and driver had an update on their long term review and also noted all if this. I ended up finding a 2020 1794 with 10k miles on it in Florida and jumped on it. I am going to give toyota a few years to figure out their new power train. I absolutely love my 2020.

I had a 2005 Tundra for 10 years and put a couple hundred thousand miles on it. I loved that truck. It didn't have a ton of power though, and when faced with another cross country drive towing a trailer and at the prompting of my wife, I bought a brand new 2022 Tundra last year.

I'm a huge fan. Nicest vehicle I've ever owned. Plenty of power; I towed a 7000lb trailer across the country and I often forgot it was behind me. I am always leery of MPG reports, but I can verify it will get 22MPG if you're driving pure highway. I only average 15MPG around town. Towing is where it falls off the rails and I get 9-11MPG.

I saw a YouTube video of the purported V8 noise piped into the cab and I have never noticed it. I don't know if it's only on certain models/trim packages, or if it's subtle enough I don't notice it. It's not an obnoxious fake race car sound. Non issue for me.

I would say I wish I had a longer bed. I don't need an 8' box but I got the tiny 5.5' bed and wish I got the 6.5' bed, but I was at the mercy of what was in stock.

I've got close to 20,000 on the new truck and haven't had any issues. I would buy one again in a heartbeat.

Seth

WKR
2023 Tundra Limited with TRD off-road. 7k miles now with zero issues. I commute 85 miles daily in hilly, central NM and am consistently getting 20.5 mpg at 75mph. I had a Ram with the hemi, and I’ve noticed no major difference in power, even pulling my camper. I was initially skeptical of the turbo V6. Verdict is out on longterm reliability, but my RAM sucked with 5 warranty claims.

With my job, I change trucks every 3-4 years, putting on over 30k per year. I like this Tundra better than any have had. I may be biased as my wife has a 2016 4runner with 120k and we have a 2006 Highlander with 195k.

JDMBEND

Lil-Rokslider
Looked at the new Tundra’s. Could not bring myself to spend 65k on a first year model. Yes, I like leather seats and a few bells and whistles.
Finally found a 2017 Limited, 6.5’ bed, with a topper, and 80k miles. Paid 30k. Happy with it so far.

Trial153

WKR
mine is a 22 limited with the TRD package. 20k on it so far. I would buy another one tomorrow. I fact I am on a wait list for a TRD Pro when my dealer gets an allocation

D

Deleted member 8-15-23

I am out west, we all went thru the tundra phase. Great rig, horrible mpg. So now 4 of us run the rebel diesal. 900 mile range, 1 inch factory lift, does all I need off road.

Attachments

• 20220205_142127.jpg
    20220205_142127.jpg
    371.6 KB · Views: 57

Tmac

WKR
Why not get an older model with the bulletproof 5.7L? I have a 5.7 land cruiser with 175k miles and zero concerns about the motor blowing up or it leaving me stranded.

If the cash is burning a hole in your pocket, spend the money you save on a front end replacement, winch, and suspension upgrade.

If memory serves correct, you need to go with a shorter cab in order to get the longer bed.

Hard to go wrong with a toyota but the hybrid/turbo V6s are guilty until proven innocent for me.
That’s what I did. Only issue I know of on the 5.7 is the cam towers. So I bought Toyota certified with a long warrantee. It does OK, not great off road, just too big. But I wanted the room to take 4 on hunting/fishing trips.

Tmac

WKR
It’s almost time after 17 years buy a new truck. Reliability the single most important quality to me. Everything else is a distant second. So who has really dug in on these new Tundras? Specifically the TRD pro.

Is this V6 hybrid motor proving to be reliable? I care much less about performance or fuel economy.

Can you get one with a 6 foot or longer bed as an option? I want to be able to close the tailgate with my quad in the back and still tow my small travel trailer.

I’ve read a couple of articles stating there is fake engine noise piped into the cab to make it sound like a throaty V8. That might be the dumbest vehicle option I have ever heard of, is it true? If yes, can you turn that stupidity off?

Anything else to be mindful of?
Check out the forum at www.tundras.com

It’s a mixed bag. But I suspect most of the bugs will be worked out by now or at least with the 24 models. There were some engine failures early, spun bearings, seemed to be traced to a supplier issue. Same for a turbo waste gate issue. Some nagging wind noise complaints. But seems a solid option now.

If you don’t need the full size of the tundra, the ‘24 Tacomas are badass. They dropped the v6 and have 2 turbocharged hybrid 4 cylinders. The base has 278hp and 316 torque.

The available i-FORCE MAX turbocharged 2.4-liter four-cylinder hybrid powertrain produces 326 horsepower, 465 lb.-ft. of torque.

You can also get in a 6’ bed.

Once they drop the new drivetrains in the 4Runner I may consider a change. However, until then I’m loving my ‘19 RAM Limited with hemi and air ride.

Broomd

WKR
Still wouldn't touch one. I started the lengthy thread here about the '22 Tundra debut. I was waiting and wanting the new Gen 3 Tundra for years. Still too many issues for a $55-80k truck.

Buy a late model Tundra and enjoy it. We've talked about the mileage around here, 18-19 is very doable with a light foot especially if you aren't city driving. City driving is what kills mpgs for these trucks.
I probably get more miles to the tank with my 26 gallon than most guys with the 38. Prudent driving has its rewards.
The boat and camper yield 13mpg, but that is expected. Love my Tundra!

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_115d.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_115d.jpeg
    248.2 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
Synopsis so far from the forum members:

Everyone that didn’t buy one hates them.

Everyone that bought them like them.

Just got back from another bear hunt.
2f4fb570c0437a3c9a6a41381a5902e2.jpg

cbdc293b8c59e8eeeefc8e479b269ab6.jpg

018226b2e0eabeda44f7d3049cc8cc69.jpg

1090f0550e7d92f5f6be94b32cf52459.jpg

092aba5537d0641917a76869bada9ace.jpg

1befe5273b2c7513ddbe780d258d40e6.jpg

I am out west, we all went thru the tundra phase. Great rig, horrible mpg. So now 4 of us run the rebel diesal. 900 mile range, 1 inch factory lift, does all I need off road.
I have had 2 rams - a 2017 1500 bighorn with the hemi and a 2020 2500 Bighorn cummins. Outside of the engine, everything else is so damn cheap. In both trucks, the lumbar support made noise and sounded like I was sitting on a bag of potato chips. The cabs are tiny. I am 6’5” and with the seat all the way back, my knees would still kiss the dash. My tundra I have about 9” between my knees and the dash and can stretch my legs all the way out on road trips. The paints cheap on the ram and everytime I go through a car wash I think the blower is going to dent my hood.