All New 2022 Tundra Leaked.....

JR Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
Boost from heat?
Sure, you can only flow so much volume of air through a turbine housing, but if you heat the air and raise its pressure, it spins the turbine wheel faster, which spins the compressor wheel faster, which feeds the engine more, making more heat, and so on. In a diesel, if you back off the pedal you take away the fuel, which takes away the heat (from the exhaust gas). You're still flowing a lot of air, but the boost drops quickly when you take away the heat.

To get get closer to on-topic, I've driven and worked on enough diesels that I appreciate them, but I don't want one for my own personal vehicle. I love the idea of turbo gas engines, but I've not been encouraged by what I've heard about fuel economy when towing with turbo motors. I know guys who've traded Ecoboosts for 5.0's based on towing (fuel economy, not performance). It will be interesting once more of the new, uglier Tundras get out there in the wild, to see what the guys doing a lot of towing with them have to say.

I've got a Sequoia with the 5.7 now. Somehow it manages to drink more fuel while making less power than the 6.2L GM it replaced. On the other hand, it does tow way better, IRS and all. I need to get another year or two out of this one, but I'm not sure what to replace it with. Another Toyota is a tough sell at this point.

Justinjs

Lil-Rokslider
Sure, you can only flow so much volume of air through a turbine housing, but if you heat the air and raise its pressure, it spins the turbine wheel faster, which spins the compressor wheel faster, which feeds the engine more, making more heat, and so on. In a diesel, if you back off the pedal you take away the fuel, which takes away the heat (from the exhaust gas). You're still flowing a lot of air, but the boost drops quickly when you take away the heat.
Then why do they run an intercooler?

JR Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
Then why do they run an intercooler?
I was talking exhaust side, where the turbine is transferring energy from the hot exhaust flow. More heat is better there, until the materials can't handle it.

Intercooler is after the compressor, on the intake side. There you want the increased pressure, but the engine can't handle too much increase in incoming heat.

I was talking exhaust side, where the turbine is transferring energy from the hot exhaust flow. More heat is better there, until the materials can't handle it.

Intercooler is after the compressor, on the intake side. There you want the increased pressure, but the engine can't handle too much increase in incoming heat.
It’s not the incoming heat that is the concern.
Hot air is less dense than cold air, and therefore contains less oxygen. Combustion wants more oxygen and cold dense air contains more oxygen than hot air.

If them little turd turbo engines are so great and there wonderful power tows so great, why do they offer a bigger engine in the heavy duty truck?
You could simply drop that 3.5 in an F350 and town a 20k 5ever over any mountain pass, rite?

My swing at this - Generally if they are running with a higher load, they are producing boost and end up being actually worse on fuel than the bigger v8s. In a super duty, they'll be operating under heavier load more often and probably get worse economy. That's why they make sense in a half ton where in most cases there's going to be many more miles driven empty and they can tap into the small displacement out-of-boost fuel economy but still have tons of power on tap if wanted.

The 3.5 Ecoboost makes gobs more torque at low RPMs than a 7.3 godzilla and really any of the common NA gas v8 pickup engines out there. Thus they will require less RPMs and hunt less for the right gear when towing. Apples to apples in a naturally aspirated engine, cubes absolutely matter and you need the RPMs to make up power in a smaller displacement. Forced induction is the great equalizer and then some when it comes to low RPM power though.

Braaap

WKR
I believe Ford offers a larger engine in the heavy duty truck because the 3.5EB runs too hot to tow heavy loads. If you read the ford forums you’ll see that guys lock out the last 2-3 gears when towing with the 3.5EB to keep boost lower and rpm’s higher to avoid overheating.

bow puller

Lil-Rokslider
I believe Ford offers a larger engine in the heavy duty truck because the 3.5EB runs too hot to tow heavy loads

This exactly. The Ford ecos are great little engines in light trucks for pulling small trailers, boats, sxs etc. When under heavy load they get worse mpg and overheat easily compared to a super duty gas. It also has near zero engine braking compared to the new 7.3. I owned a 3.5 2nd gen as my daily along with a Ford 6.7 diesel for pulling my toy hauler.

Consolidated both to a 2022 7.3/4.30 truck and still very happy after a year and 10k towing miles. It's a good blend of power, low maintenance, simple design and trailer control. The Tundra is similar to the Ford 3.5 eco though I sure hope they know how to make cam phasers better than Ford.

1/2 ton turbo trucks are fun to drive. I really like Fords 2.7 as a more reliable engine (in F150) and does everything a 150 needs to do. I must say the new Tundra design has grown on me, especially with a little tint and all terrains.

Diesels well literally everything.
But Diesels make power with fuel. The turbo matches up the air to the fuel.
You can make a big power non turbo Diesel.
Its just gonna melt a piston.

But you guys buy wtf ever you want.
Put those pea shooters up against a bigger motor truck on a real hill.

Don't just read specs online and think you know something.
WTH?
I've been reading these BRT posts and somebody is rewriting internal combustion thermodynamics!

WTH?
I've been reading these BRT posts and somebody is rewriting internal combustion thermodynamics!
I'm not talking about ambient air.
I'm talking about 1700 degree cylinder Temps.
Yall just to stupid to get it.
So quit quoting me.
I'm not going to look or reply any more.
Kiss off

Agreed as well, Toyota always gets knocked for being behind on technology and power, we’ll ever wonder why; it’s because they are still testing why others are producing, Toyota is playing long ball, car and driver and consumer reports give em low ratings but go try to buy a used Tacoma, 4runner, land cruiser, etc
Somebody tell Toyota that rear disc brakes, automatic trannies with more than 5 forward gears and fully-boxed frames are okay now.