All New 2022 Tundra Leaked.....

Test drove a new tundra last night. It was pretty sweet inside but nothing that I think would really improve day to day life over my basic '16 f150 XLT. The main thing I didn't like compared to the f150 is the sight lines out of it seem to be notably narrower. Maybe I should have raised the seat some but it just felt like i couldn't see ground in front or the the side of me nearly as close as in my f150. The windshield felt shallower.

Having to pay for a subscription for auto start after 3 years chaps my ass even if it's not a big deal $ wise. More the principle of the thing. [Edit: saw it said elsewhere that you've got to sign the service agreement to use the remote start, even if it's free for first 3 years, which also amounts to agreeing to allow Toyota to sell your data captured from the pickup/app/service. If that is the case, eff them]

Rust is a real thing if you plan to keep a vehicle for long here in MN, It's been nice worrying about it less with an aluminum bodied pickup. That said, i know a lot of the stuff one should be worried about rusting isn't aluminum anyway.

Really the only thing that I see as a likely step up over ford is resale value down the road and smoothness of the 10 speed.

Mileage, power, towing/payload, back seat storage, body rust resistance, all favor ford.

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
Chevy is doing stuff like that too. Replacing 6 cyl w 4cyl “turbo”.

Its all fun and games til you try to tow stuff for a distance repeatedly.

WKR
Sold the 2015 Tundra last year and went F250 Lariat with 7.3 gasser. I drove Tundras since 2008. I am very happy with the change to Ford so far. The new Tundras do nothing for me.

OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR

Agree...
We've been in the market to upgrade wife's Lexus Rx350. Those are great SUVs, probably the best offered in that segment; her's is an '08 -- still a nice car with lower miles. It's got some worth still.
Lo and behold, the all-new '23 Rx350 has a turbo I-4 engine. Gone is the venerable Lexus V6 that was bulletproof and very popular.

At this point not surprised that Toyota did this.
They are trying to integrate the platforms 'ala the '22 Tundra and the mid-sized Lexus will be no exception. Expect the new Tacoma to have this I-4 engine as well as the next gen 4Runner!
When we purchase the RX, it will be a '19-'22 model, last of the V6.

Rich M

WKR
Agree...
We've been in the market to upgrade wife's Lexus Rx350. Those are great SUVs, probably the best offered in that segment; her's is an '08 -- still a nice car with lower miles. It's got some worth still.
Lo and behold, the all-new '23 Rx350 has a turbo I-4 engine. Gone is the venerable Lexus V6 that was bulletproof and very popular.

At this point not surprised that Toyota did this.
They are trying to integrate the platforms 'ala the '22 Tundra and the mid-sized Lexus will be no exception. Expect the new Tacoma to have this I-4 engine as well as the next gen 4Runner!
When we purchase the RX, it will be a '19-'22 model, last of the V6.
The only reason i knew about the chevy is cousin wants to upgrade a Colorado he uses to tow a 5,000 pound boat. Dealer said here use a 4 cylinder…

I’m curious about this assumption. Sure, if you take a budget 4 banger from an economy car and do nothing but slap a turbo on it and stick it in a pickup for towing, it’s going to have a shorter expected lifespan. If the engine is purpose built for a turbo with stronger components, why would it handle things any differently than a larger displacement engine with lesser components that are sufficient for a naturally aspirated engine but would be marginal with boost? Seems the actual shortblock of ford 5.0s need to be replaced more than those of the ecoboost motors so that doesn’t jive with this theory that smaller displacement is compromised with pickup truck level work.

The more complex, more things to go wrong, harder to work on, etc arguments against smaller displacement + turbo I totally get. I just don’t see why the engine itself of a purpose built smaller displacement + turbo would be any less reliable than a larger displacement engine not designed for forced induction.

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
I’m curious about this assumption. Sure, if you take a budget 4 banger from an economy car and do nothing but slap a turbo on it and stick it in a pickup for towing, it’s going to have a shorter expected lifespan. If the engine is purpose built for a turbo with stronger components, why would it handle things any differently than a larger displacement engine with lesser components that are sufficient for a naturally aspirated engine but would be marginal with boost? Seems the actual shortblock of ford 5.0s need to be replaced more than those of the ecoboost motors so that doesn’t jive with this theory that smaller displacement is compromised with pickup truck level work.
I come from the era of 8 cylinder vehicles and drive a 6 taco.

Cousin pulls a 24-25 ft boat with a 6. Just seems “light” to expect a 4 cylinder to drag a big boat or a camper trailer.

I never trust the govt to make smart requirements. Once they prove themselves i might be more inclined.

Imo it will take Rpm, not saying it can't be reliable.
Rpm equals fuel consumption, transmission will hunt more, or have to leave it pulled down in lower gear.
And it depends where your towing. Most everything around me is curvy and hills. So your off the gas and back on alot.

Imo there is no replacement for displacement where and how I tow. In those situations the big cubes can lumber along more often then a smaller displacement. When you come out of a curve you can ease into it and left it build power.

Vs feeling like all your momentum is gone and have to stuff it.
I also prefer manuals as well. There mostly a thing of the past.
But id rather put it in whatever is the 1:1 gear. Aka 4,5th and just let the big cubes eat.

Pulling something across KS probably looks very different.

Imo it will take Rpm, not saying it can't be reliable.
Rpm equals fuel consumption, transmission will hunt more, or have to leave it pulled down in lower gear.
And it depends where your towing. Most everything around me is curvy and hills. So your off the gas and back on alot.

Imo there is no replacement for displacement where and how I tow. In those situations the big cubes can lumber along more often then a smaller displacement. When you come out of a curve you can ease into it and left it build power.

Vs feeling like all your momentum is gone and have to stuff it.
I also prefer manuals as well. There mostly a thing of the past.
But id rather put it in whatever is the 1:1 gear. Aka 4,5th and just let the big cubes eat.

Pulling something across KS probably looks very different.

NA with cubes doesn’t hold a candle to forced induction when it comes to low end torque.

Why are all the diesels turbos?

why does a 2.7 ecoboost (not to mention the 3.5) out tow a 5.3 v8 chevy? Forced induction vs cubes ain’t even a fair fight on low end torque unless you’re talking a split second from a stop before boost is built.

3.5 ecoboost is rated at 500 ft-lb @ 3000 rpm
7.3 Godzilla is rated at 475 ft-lb @ 4050 rpm

It’s not the little turbo that needs rpm.

NA with cubes doesn’t hold a candle to forced induction when it comes to low end torque.

why does a 2.7 ecoboost (not to mention the 3.5) out tow a 5.3 v8 chevy? Forced induction vs cubes ain’t even a fair fight on low end torque unless you’re talking like 1500 rpm in a gasser.

3.5 ecoboost is rated at 500 ft-lb @ 3000 rpm
7.3 Godzilla is rated at 475 ft-lb @ 4050 rpm

It’s not the little turbo that needs rpm.
Why don't semis come with 4cly turbos then?
I'm not here to argue.
This is real life experience from someone that has towed a many and had a cdl for 20 yrs.
I could give a hoot about gas for towing.
5.3 is not big cubes.
Diesels have turbos to keep them cylinder Temps down.

If them little turd turbo engines are so great and there wonderful power tows so great, why do they offer a bigger engine in the heavy duty truck?
You could simply drop that 3.5 in an F350 and town a 20k 5ever over any mountain pass, rite?

OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
One of my favorite engines was the 3.4L V6 in Toyota's T100, getting 20 mpg avg with an extra cab 4wd automatic was it's own reward. On those rare occasions I towed it eeked out the job.
Been okay with the new Tundra's TTV6 as well. But what most didn't plan on was so much sh!t under the hood of those vehicles--and the myriad QC issues. It's an electronic nightmare.
Toyota will get it right, but it's going to take time which is BS considering it's a Toyota!

The incoming 4 cyl just seems too small, especially for the 4Runner and Tacoma, damn shame but just the start of things moving forward. And Toyota is one of the few manufacturers saying that 'all-electric' doesn't fit their business model.

Justinjs

Lil-Rokslider
Why don't semis come with 4cly turbos then?
I'm not here to argue.
This is real life experience from someone that has towed a many and had a cdl for 20 yrs.
I could give a hoot about gas for towing.
5.3 is not big cubes.
Diesels have turbos to keep them cylinder Temps down.
Cylinder count is mostly for nvh.

Ford has a 2.7 6cyl, GM makes it a 4cyl.. both nuke the 5.3 in torque. Engine size doesn't dictate cylinder count. If that were the case, tractor engines would be in the dozens of cylinders, and they're just 6 and 8cyl.

Diesels have turbos to keep them cylinder temps down. Literally...what?? Could you elaborate on that because it sounds wrong.
If them little turd turbo engines are so great and there wonderful power tows so great, why do they offer a bigger engine in the heavy duty truck?
You could simply drop that 3.5 in an F350 and town a 20k 5ever over any mountain pass, rite?
That's not accurate, GM had a 6.2 in the 1/2 ton and 6.0 in the HD

And ram shared the 5.7 in both and down rated the HD line.

Ford shared the 6.2 and it was down rated in the SD line.

Last edited:
Cylinder count is mostly for nvh.

Ford has a 2.7 6cyl, GM makes it a 4cyl.. both nuke the 5.3 in torque. Engine size doesn't dictate cylinder count. If that were the case, tractor engines would be in the dozens of cylinders, and they're just 6 and 8cyl.

Diesels have turbos to keep them cylinder temps down. Literally...what?? Could you elaborate on that because it sounds wrong.

That's not accurate, GM had a 6.2 in the 1/2 ton and 6.0 in the HD

And ram shared the 5.7 in both and down rated the HD line.

Ford shared the 6.2 and it was down rated in the SD line.
Diesels well literally everything.
But Diesels make power with fuel. The turbo matches up the air to the fuel.
You can make a big power non turbo Diesel.
Its just gonna melt a piston.

But you guys buy wtf ever you want.
Put those pea shooters up against a bigger motor truck on a real hill.

Don't just read specs online and think you know something.

JR Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
Because diesel engines don't throttle airflow. With full airflow the turbo makes boost based on heat, which is most desirable. Lag is minimal, because the airflow is already there.

On gas engines, you have to move enough air to fill the turbine first, then you get boost from heat. It's more of a compromise, but OEMs have gotten much better at it in recent years. A smaller displacement gas engine has the throttle open a lot more, letting the turbo do more.

Justinjs

Lil-Rokslider
Diesels well literally everything.
But Diesels make power with fuel. The turbo matches up the air to the fuel.
You can make a big power non turbo Diesel.
Its just gonna melt a piston.

But you guys buy wtf ever you want.
Put those pea shooters up against a bigger motor truck on a real hill.

Don't just read specs online and think you know something.

A turbo doesn't cool off air into the cylinder, it's the opposite. A turbo compresses air, compressed air is hot, hot air in an engine causes issues, *intercooler enters chat* an intercooler chills the incoming air to solve the hot air problem. A turbos job is to forces more air In so more fuel can be added for more power..gas or diesel.

Hundreds of videos are online of the 2.7/3.5 Ecoboost out towing the 5.3 and 5.7 hemi. Some of the videos are up the Davis dam and TFL YouTube channel runs them up the Eisenhower pass. Both smaller displacement have demonstrated their superior to larger NA engines.

Justinjs

Lil-Rokslider
Because diesel engines don't throttle airflow. With full airflow the turbo makes boost based on heat, which is most desirable. Lag is minimal, because the airflow is already there.

On gas engines, you have to move enough air to fill the turbine first, then you get boost from heat. It's more of a compromise, but OEMs have gotten much better at it in recent years. A smaller displacement gas engine has the throttle open a lot more, letting the turbo do more.
Boost from heat?

OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
A turbo doesn't cool off air into the cylinder, it's the opposite. A turbo compresses air, compressed air is hot, hot air in an engine causes issues, *intercooler enters chat* an intercooler chills the incoming air to solve the hot air problem. A turbos job is to forces more air In so more fuel can be added for more power..gas or diesel.

Hundreds of videos are online of the 2.7/3.5 Ecoboost out towing the 5.3 and 5.7 hemi. Some of the videos are up the Davis dam and TFL YouTube channel runs them up the Eisenhower pass. Both smaller displacement have demonstrated their superior to larger NA engines.
It's shame that we don't get those small displacement turbo-diesel Toyotas that much of the globe gets.