New F-350 motor options?

mcseal2

WKR
Our family ranch is looking at getting a new truck. Dad is pretty convinced he wants another F-350 rather than a different brand. We've had good luck with the last 4 we bought between 1993 and 2012.

My 2012 has the 6.7L diesel and we keep it hooked to a trailer most of the time, which has been a great way to keep mileage down on it. We also have a 1999 4 door with the 7.3 Powerstroke and a 1993 we use as a feed truck with the 460 gas.

The new truck will be a regular cab 4wd single rear wheel truck. It will get a bale bed, and eventually replace the 1993 as our primary feed truck. Since it will get started every morning in the winter we were looking primarily at the gas engines. After spending some time on the Ford truck builder site, I'm reconsidering that a little. Some options I want like skid plates and the offroad package are not offered with the 7.3L gas engine. I'm hesitant to buy a 6.8L gas until they have been out a little longer. I worked at a CNH dealership for 4 years selling parts and was not always popular with the salesmen. When asked by the customers I recommended buying the last year of the old model, rather than the first year of a new version. It just seems to take time to get the bugs out and the designs perfected.

Dad is 69 now and wants something reliable. His biggest concern is that he wants to be able to idle around, pull hay trailers, check cattle, and do other low-speed activity without the engine heating up while running the A/C. The old 93 with the 460 has always got hot pretty easy. That has me considering spending the extra 10k for the diesel, but as they keep complicating them with more emissions parts and sensors I don't know if that is the right answer either.

Anyone know anything good or bad about the new Ford gas motors?

Thanks for the help.

jrowl2282

FNG
The new 10 speed 6.7 powerstrokes are pretty sweet, they'll get alot of work done for sure.

The engine is largely the same as your 12 model, but the ecm is different and won't be easy/cheap to delete if that's something you're thinking about.

The 7.3 gas is a pretty good engine so far but they drink fuel pretty badly and don't seem to keep many of my local buddies happy (most have gone back to 6.7's)

If it was just about crawling through pastures on a below 0 day then I'd say go with the gas.

Every other time I'd go with a 6.7

The new 10 speed 6.7 powerstrokes are pretty sweet, they'll get alot of work done for sure.

The engine is largely the same as your 12 model, but the ecm is different and won't be easy/cheap to delete if that's something you're thinking about.

The 7.3 gas is a pretty good engine so far but they drink fuel pretty badly and don't seem to keep many of my local buddies happy (most have gone back to 6.7's)

If it was just about crawling through pastures on a below 0 day then I'd say go with the gas.

Every other time I'd go with a 6.7
Basically this.

Marble

WKR
Newer cars don't get hot. I can't recall any of our trucks (probably 30 plus) in the last 10 years having an over heating issue.

If I could get a gas truck to get better mileage I would get it. But the diesels really have done us well.

I put money aside and get what I want. That's just me but I can afford it. And I would rather have exactly what I want or nothing at all.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

D_Dubya

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 2017 6.7 diesel, and while I have never had it in sub zero temps, I do often idle around the ranch in south Texas pulling feed and water trailers all day in temps up to 110. This past Saturday it was 109 and it was running for about 9 hours putting around. It has never got hot and the ac stays cold - really cold. I’ve had 3/4 ton gassers (still have one for a ranch “hunting” truck) and would not want to go back for daily use in the heat or for pulling a trailer on the highway.

I have a ‘22 with the 7.3, off road package and skid plates. Not sure why it wouldnt let you do it. Its a great truck, strong motor. But yes, it is thirsty. I didn’t buy it for mileage, and never understood why people think a big heavy truck and good mileage go together.

Let the “my diesel gets…..mileage” comments begin.

gearguywb

WKR
I have a '22 6.7. Wouldnt trade it for a gas motor. Mileage is terrible on the 7.3, and along with the fuel thirst you have a lot less torque that the diesel. Bad combination

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks for all the replies.

I have no idea whey they wouldn't let me combine the packages I wanted, it made no sense to me. I did the build twice though and ended up with the same result. Maybe it was due to the XL package. I wanted a simple truck like my 2012. Basically add most of the towing and offroad features, upfitter switches, vinyl everything interior, and remote start. Remote start for $140 when ordering a built truck seems like a no brainer for me.

The 6.7 is getting a lot of love. I have sure liked my 2012 with it, It has never failed to start during our cold spells down to 20 below. It gelled up once despite being treated with anti-gel, but that isn't the truck's fault. I live in Kansas so we get a little of everything as far as weather. It hit 115 here last week, and we see some spells below 0 each winter.

jrowl2282

FNG
That's funny I'm in kansas too and in my area (flint hills) the winters have treated our customers the same way with antigel

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
That's funny I'm in kansas too and in my area (flint hills) the winters have treated our customers the same way with antigel
I bought Lucas antigel because they were out of the Power Service stuff I usually buy. The antigel in the bottle was actually gelled up and wouldn't move when I turned the bottle upside down. I was keeping the bottle below our fuel tank on the ground, and it was darn cold that day. I'm normally a fan of Lucas stuff, but I won't buy that one again.

Dbbell

FNG
Our family ranch is looking at getting a new truck. Dad is pretty convinced he wants another F-350 rather than a different brand. We've had good luck with the last 4 we bought between 1993 and 2012.

My 2012 has the 6.7L diesel and we keep it hooked to a trailer most of the time, which has been a great way to keep mileage down on it. We also have a 1999 4 door with the 7.3 Powerstroke and a 1993 we use as a feed truck with the 460 gas.

The new truck will be a regular cab 4wd single rear wheel truck. It will get a bale bed, and eventually replace the 1993 as our primary feed truck. Since it will get started every morning in the winter we were looking primarily at the gas engines. After spending some time on the Ford truck builder site, I'm reconsidering that a little. Some options I want like skid plates and the offroad package are not offered with the 7.3L gas engine. I'm hesitant to buy a 6.8L gas until they have been out a little longer. I worked at a CNH dealership for 4 years selling parts and was not always popular with the salesmen. When asked by the customers I recommended buying the last year of the old model, rather than the first year of a new version. It just seems to take time to get the bugs out and the designs perfected.

Dad is 69 now and wants something reliable. His biggest concern is that he wants to be able to idle around, pull hay trailers, check cattle, and do other low-speed activity without the engine heating up while running the A/C. The old 93 with the 460 has always got hot pretty easy. That has me considering spending the extra 10k for the diesel, but as they keep complicating them with more emissions parts and sensors I don't know if that is the right answer either.

Anyone know anything good or bad about the new Ford gas motors?

Thanks for the help.
Chevy Duramax I have had both, prefer the chevy

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Yeah, probably not convincing Dad to go Chevy. He likes the solid front axle best. I like them for toughness, but my old 93 Chevy I use as a beater truck sure rides better across the pasture. I doubt I get Dad to look at other brands though, he wants a Ford. I'm less loyal to any one brand, I think they all have good years and bad years.
Truthfully if I could buy a brand new 2003 F-350 with a 7.3L diesel, or a Dodge with the 12 valve 5.9L Cummins I'd take it over any current production truck for my use on the ranch. I'd like to have a 2000 Chevy with the Vortec 350 to replace my old 93 too. Those old ones did what I need and are a lot less complicated to work on.

idling alot = gas. Its that simple

We run both Ford and Chevy diesels, not a fan of aluminum bodies, but I've had alot less issues with Ford.

If I wanted a town/pavement concrete truck chevy, field truck ford. Electronic locking rear beats the limited slip.

In the end both will get job done,

I got a new truck couple years ago F250 Temor 7.3. The main decision for the gasser was the shitty CP4 fuel pumps in the 6.7s. If it goes out you will have a brand new truck setting for months waiting on parts. Sure you can spend extra on mods to protect it but your already paying and extra 12k for the diesel option. I don't pull a trailer daily so 7.3 works fine for me...just turned 40k and it gets better mileage than my expy with the 5.4 triton.

I have a ‘22 with the 7.3, off road package and skid plates. Not sure why it wouldnt let you do it. Its a great truck, strong motor. But yes, it is thirsty. I didn’t buy it for mileage, and never understood why people think a big heavy truck and good mileage go together.

Let the “my diesel gets…..mileage” comments begin.
Have you crawled under the truck and looked at the "skid plates"...I removed the "skid plate" from the gas tank when i swapped the OEM tank for 58 gallon. My new steel tank provides more protection than that junk. Calling it a skid plate is a stretch.....

OP I wouldn't let OEM skid plates be a factor in your decision...your better off getting after market real ones anyways.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks for all the advice. I need to keep doing my homework it looks like. This isn't a cheap purchase and not one I want to rush into and buy the wrong thing.

woods89

WKR
I've been driving a '22 F250 with the 7.3 gas for almost a year, now. We bought it with 6,000 mi and it currently has a little over 19,000.

I came from an 03 with the 7.3 diesel. That was a great truck but as a work vehicle I had a hard time keeping up with the little stuff when I was putting 20,000 mi a year on it. We pull a 5-6,000 lb covered tool trailer on average once or twice a week, as well as a bumper pull flatbed with light loads some. This motor does fine for our uses. The 10 spd transmission really works well with it, but it will shift a lot. Gas mileage is going to be, well, it's a big gas motor after all....

If we were pulling numerous times a week, and with loads heavier than 6,000 or so, the diesel would certainly be nice. The 7.3 gas has lots of power, but the torque is just completely different. That said, $50 oil changes, cheaper fuel, and cheaper initial investment are pretty nice! Not to mention avoiding the diesel emissions equipment.

All this to say, I really like mine, but if I was pulling goosenecks full of cattle or hay it might be different.