New F-350 motor options?

So 14k in repairs after paying the extra 12k for diesel, so extra 26k for the diesel, not counting regular maintenance and cost of diesel and it didnt make it to 100k miles. Like I said it was the deciding factory for my gas truck purchase. My buddy's 6.7 is almost 6 weeks now waiting on parts, his will be covered under warranty so they are probably slow rolling him. Problem is now that pretty much any diesel in the US has that pump and they are failing...so replacement parts are getting harder to get your hands on. Hopefully he is joining the class action lawsuit...Apparently air in the system is the biggest killer of those fuel pumps.
I dout he knows anything about the lawsuit, I haven’t heard about it either. Warranty wouldn’t cover it because it had red diesel in it (all we have ever ran in everything) insurance man got a sample of the fuel, tested it and said fuel passed all test nothing wrong with the diesel, so they wouldn’t cover it either. That’s another reason he went with ram because he asked the ram dealer about the situation and they said they would have covered it under warranty no questions asked.

I’ll be the bad guy here and say the 6.7 ford sucks.

I blew the turbo on mine at 22k.

It left stranded 500 miles from home last year due an exhaust issue.

It just left me stranded on the side of the road coming home from work. Not sure of the issue this time.

It’s a 2015 with 77k miles. I hate this truck and I’m getting rid of it after I get it fixed (again).

Our family ranch is looking at getting a new truck. Dad is pretty convinced he wants another F-350 rather than a different brand. We've had good luck with the last 4 we bought between 1993 and 2012.

My 2012 has the 6.7L diesel and we keep it hooked to a trailer most of the time, which has been a great way to keep mileage down on it. We also have a 1999 4 door with the 7.3 Powerstroke and a 1993 we use as a feed truck with the 460 gas.

The new truck will be a regular cab 4wd single rear wheel truck. It will get a bale bed, and eventually replace the 1993 as our primary feed truck. Since it will get started every morning in the winter we were looking primarily at the gas engines. After spending some time on the Ford truck builder site, I'm reconsidering that a little. Some options I want like skid plates and the offroad package are not offered with the 7.3L gas engine. I'm hesitant to buy a 6.8L gas until they have been out a little longer. I worked at a CNH dealership for 4 years selling parts and was not always popular with the salesmen. When asked by the customers I recommended buying the last year of the old model, rather than the first year of a new version. It just seems to take time to get the bugs out and the designs perfected.

Dad is 69 now and wants something reliable. His biggest concern is that he wants to be able to idle around, pull hay trailers, check cattle, and do other low-speed activity without the engine heating up while running the A/C. The old 93 with the 460 has always got hot pretty easy. That has me considering spending the extra 10k for the diesel, but as they keep complicating them with more emissions parts and sensors I don't know if that is the right answer either.

Anyone know anything good or bad about the new Ford gas motors?

Thanks for the help.

The conditions you describe, are the absolute worst conditions to subject a modern, emissions equipped diesel to.

They need to be worked hard and gotten up to temperature regularly and get the exhaust temperature up regularly.

You would be much better off with the 7.3L gasser.

And when you do need to pull a load, it will stomp the 6.6L Chevy and 6.4L Ram gassers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wyomuleskinner

Lil-Rokslider
no the 6.6 and 7.3 are not dogs just not diesels.

biggest advantage of 3/4 and more so Diesel is integrated stopping power.. weight, bigger brakes, engine braking, and trans auto down shifting and just pure low end power.

No more then you are pulling gas 3/4 is a very safe choice.
I'm pretty sure my 7.3 has the same transmission as the powerstroke pretty sure but not 100% positive
But going downhills it's controls my speed just as good as my Alison in my duramax. I love diesel trucks but they have just gotten so complicated that it defeats the purpose of a diesel.

Fowl Play

WKR
For reference, my 6.7 F-350 only has 20,000 miles on it yet so not a lot to say in reliability department just yet. But… some anecdotal stuff to pass along. Had the truck in Beech Mt, NC over the winter and saw several sub zero nights with no block heater. Every day it started up like nothing was different. -15 F being the coldest. Would a lifetime of that be great, prob not. But surprised me (previous diesel experience was over 15 years ago though).

The emissions stuff does get old though. If you don’t need the diesel for the stock range or towing capacity I would get the gasser. Just allot more to go wrong in a modern diesel. Generally adding tons more components decreases long term reliability.

If you do go diesel though, I would steer clear from the H.O. Model. Just take the standard 6.7, it will last longer.

I'm pretty sure my 7.3 has the same transmission as the powerstroke pretty sure but not 100% positive
But going downhills it's controls my speed just as good as my Alison in my duramax. I love diesel trucks but they have just gotten so complicated that it defeats the purpose of a diesel.
7.3s have the same 10sp tranny as the 6.7s.

I’ll be the bad guy here and say the 6.7 ford sucks.

I blew the turbo on mine at 22k.

It left stranded 500 miles from home last year due an exhaust issue.

It just left me stranded on the side of the road coming home from work. Not sure of the issue this time.

It’s a 2015 with 77k miles. I hate this truck and I’m getting rid of it after I get it fixed (again).
Honestly with the low miles on that truck not surprised your having problems. Like said above if you don't run the new diesels all the time you gonna have problems.

If buying used is an option, have had several of the 6.2 gas trucks (my currrent personal truck and several work trucks in the past). They have all been VERY reliable. Cant be of any help on the newer gas motors, other than saying you are on the right track looking for a gasser rather than a diesel. I will never buy another one unless it is an absolute must for whatever I am wanting to pull. They diesels have gotten out of hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks everyone. My current 6.7 started having issues with the emissions stuff around 120k miles. It was 10 years old at that time and had been hooked to a trailer for 75% of those miles. I was depreciating it to fast using it as my daily driver the first 2 years I owned it so I hooked it to the trailer and left it for the most part. I bought a 98 Suburban for the daily driver use. It was nice not to have to unhook a gooseneck every time I needed to run to town or somewhere. We fixed the emissions issues on the 6.7 long term after it started acting up.

When the mechanic was completing that process he said my turbo was getting bad. I guess the design before 2015 wasn't the greatest on those. He put a Ford reman turbo on that only lasted a mile before blowing up. He got that one warrantied and the second one lasted 10 miles. Ford must have had a bad batch of them. He put my original one that was going bad back on and I drove it for 3 months without issue before they got me my money back from the Ford turbos. He recommended an aftermarket one that has been running well since. I agree with diesels getting to complicated. Same with tractors and other ag equipment. That's why I'm so reluctant to upgrade from our tractors with the old 5.9L 12 valve Cummins in them.

I'm glad this thread popped up. I am in the 3/4 ton market. I don't pull anything super heavy and don't pull it everyday. I have a heavy center console boat that I pull 4 hrs one way a couple dozen times a year. I have a tundra now so I am used to horrible gas mileage(and that small 21gal tank). The boat works the tundra pretty well in hills and long drives. I do think I need a 3/4 ton for pulling it the longer distances and the stopping power. I don't "need" a diesel but maybe a few times a year but I feel the gasser can do it when i need it. Are the GMC and Ford gassers just outright dogs? The emissions stuff bothers me and paying close to 80-90k for a new truck and then worrying about it being down for months or a 15k repair seems stupid. Thoughts?
DDM,
I had the exact same scenario as you. I was towing a heavy saltwater fishing boat with a Tundra 4.6 and it just wasn't the right truck for that particular job. I had to keep it in 4th gear at 55mph or it would constantly downshift and the fuel mileage was terrible. I purchased a '23 F-250 XL with the 6.8 and towing the boat with it is effortless. More stability, better economy and better braking are just a few of the benefits of 3/4 ton as a tow platform compared to a half ton. I bought the truck from a dealer in Iowa and drove it back to Va. averaging 17mpg at 70mph through mostly flat/slightly hilly terrain until I hit WV. From Huntington, WV to Lexington, Va. the mileage dropped to 16pmpg and the transmission never dropped below 7th gear, staying in 8th and 9th gear mostly. I get 13mpg around town and 10 towing. All my mileage is hand calculated although the computer is close. The same numbers as my Tundra except better when towing. I think you would be better served with gas motor for your application. The Ford 7.3 gas would be perfect for what you need to do also.
The new gas engines are not dogs, and you barely notice 8-10k behind you.

you are correct I was mainly talking about engine breaking and I agree on gas. with that said we run most of ours to 200-250k. Biggest issue is def heater pumps. Have Yet to have to replace DPF but had a few that get close from idling to much. I a DEF heater that has been out for 5 years and I refuse to fix. -5 degree and still fired up and ran so I question actual need.

I dout he knows anything about the lawsuit, I haven’t heard about it either. Warranty wouldn’t cover it because it had red diesel in it (all we have ever ran in everything) insurance man got a sample of the fuel, tested it and said fuel passed all test nothing wrong with the diesel, so they wouldn’t cover it either. That’s another reason he went with ram because he asked the ram dealer about the situation and they said they would have covered it under warranty no questions asked.
The Ram dealer says that. Obviously, they want the sale.

FCA absolutely will not warranty pump failures if they know you ran off road diesel.

The fuel is the same, but it's technically not approved.

Honestly with the low miles on that truck not surprised you’re having problems. Like said above if you don't run the new diesels all the time you gonna have problems.
that’s such a cop out answer.

And I’ve put 65k miles on the truck in 3 yrs. So it get driven. And about 5k/yr is heavy towing (12k+). So the truck doesn’t just sit.

The problem is the engineering of emissions system has completely screwed those engines.

My 7.3 powerstroke never had ANY issues. I wish I would have never sold that truck.

I’ve heard way too many horror stories lately about the emissions systems taking a dump in these new diesels to take a chance with them. No way I’m risking that after spending around $90k on one.

I think that the 7.3 gas motor would be a perfect choice for what your dad needs.

I just recently ordered a ’24 Chevy 6.6 gasser with the new Allison transmission and felt it was superior to the Super Duty 7.3 after a towing test drive. YMMV.

When I looked into ordering a Super Duty it was a mess. Every one was already sold before they hit the lot and it was a +/- 8 month wait to get one. Hopefully things have changed now. This was 2 months ago.

When I looked into ordering a Super Duty it was a mess. Every one was already sold before they hit the lot and it was a +/- 8 month wait to get one. Hopefully things have changed now. This was 2 months ago.
Took me 7ish months to get mine after I ordered it. After covid/supply chain issues I think Ford is slowly moving to a build to order model for the 250/350s. Green windows stickers, customer orders, take priority over regular inventory. Can't say I blame them...probably better for their books not keeping a bunch of 75k-120k trucks sitting around in inventory.

They usually start taking orders in late fall for next model year and close the order books in the spring. Then it's a waiting game until it rolls off the line at KY plant and put on a train to your dealer.

yfarm

WKR
Friend put in an order for 2 trucks at his longtime dealer when order banks opened last year, may get at the end of this years production or a early 24. Would appear that Ford can presell their entire production from the plant similar to the Bronco and Maverick. Explains why option packages on the xls are limited, why sell cheaper trucks? Talked to my sales rep about a Transit, similar story, production is sold out early primarily to fleet/upfitters.

Weldor

WKR
We hear that alot, not buying it. Remember the days when they all had truck sales in the fall after change over?
They are building to suit there bottom line. The big three can control the market , why not in their mind. 110 thousand for a pick up, that's crazy. I remember when trucks were used as trucks not grocery getters. That rant over, my 18 Ram cummins has had zero problems, run grade all the time 5000-10000 lbs trailers in AZ heat. No DEF issues .I do the recommended service intervals and it has worked out for me. I would never go back to a gasser for my needs. But I can see why people would for their personal needs.

b24bde4c26648eb61950bb7c2f47e53a.jpg

This ole girl just keeps on ticking but she’s had some repairs. I have the Chevy 3500 and my son has the F350. We’re both convinced the new F350 is the ticket 157k on his and not a single issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ewaragnar

Lil-Rokslider
This summer I upgraded to a F350 with a 7.3 Godzilla. Has exceeded my expectations by a long shot, so far. I’ve gotten 20 if I can keep it at 65 with CC. Around town I’m at 13. Plenty of power, and stopping power, to haul what I need.