Who has done the research on the new Tundra?

SDHNTR

WKR
It’s almost time after 17 years buy a new truck. Reliability the single most important quality to me. Everything else is a distant second. So who has really dug in on these new Tundras? Specifically the TRD pro.

Is this V6 hybrid motor proving to be reliable? I care much less about performance or fuel economy.

Can you get one with a 6 foot or longer bed as an option? I want to be able to close the tailgate with my quad in the back and still tow my small travel trailer.

I’ve read a couple of articles stating there is fake engine noise piped into the cab to make it sound like a throaty V8. That might be the dumbest vehicle option I have ever heard of, is it true? If yes, can you turn that stupidity off?

Anything else to be mindful of?

Last edited:

ODB

WKR
Doesn’t bother me. I don’t buy a full sized truck for fuel mileage. I want reliability, functionality and off road capabilities.

Point being I get better than than in my 2021 non-hybrid.

Why not get an older model with the bulletproof 5.7L? I have a 5.7 land cruiser with 175k miles and zero concerns about the motor blowing up or it leaving me stranded.

If the cash is burning a hole in your pocket, spend the money you save on a front end replacement, winch, and suspension upgrade.

If memory serves correct, you need to go with a shorter cab in order to get the longer bed.

Hard to go wrong with a toyota but the hybrid/turbo V6s are guilty until proven innocent for me.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Why not get an older model with the bulletproof 5.7L? I have a 5.7 land cruiser with 175k miles and zero concerns about the motor blowing up or it leaving me stranded.

If the cash is burning a hole in your pocket, spend the money you save on a front end replacement, winch, and suspension upgrade.

If memory serves correct, you need to go with a shorter cab in order to get the longer bed.

Hard to go wrong with a toyota but the hybrid/turbo V6s are guilty until proven innocent for me.
The same thought process has crossed my mind too wrt the 5.7. It’s just nice, recent model, used ones cost almost as much as a new one.

Ucsdryder

WKR
The same thought process has crossed my mind too wrt the 5.7. It’s just nice, recent model, used ones cost almost as much as a new one.
I bought a 2014 5.7 tundra with a topper with 130k a few months back. They’re out there, just have to be patient. You’re right though. 1-3 years old, you might as well go new.

tdoublev

FNG
The hybrid option is very publicly stated to only be used to improve engine performance, not fuel economy. The guy who said he was getting 16 mpg is not typical, but only marginally lower. Guessing that guy was in a hilly region and/or larger tires. 19-22 is more typical. I’m not sure about the TRD Pro specifically, but you can get multiple trims with the TRD off-road package in a 6.5 ft bed. I don’t see much reason to get the TRD Pro unless you simply love the look and want to have it. Performance wise - no reason to get that trim.

It is true on the engine noise and more common in vehicles than you think or know. It can be turned off, easily. A quick google will teach you how. Half the guys who cry about it wouldn’t even notice it if they weren’t told it existed.

TxLite

WKR
Initially they were having waste gate problems with the turbos. In order to fix it they were pulling the whole cab off the truck. My understanding is that they have corrected the issue now. I’ve also seen several posts on Reddit regarding water leaking into the cab and rattling interiors.

I’m a die hard Toyota guy but I don’t have a lot of confidence in these just yet. 5.7 gang.

tdoublev

FNG
Initially they were having waste gate problems with the turbos. In order to fix it they were pulling the whole cab off the truck. My understanding is that they have corrected the issue now. I’ve also seen several posts on Reddit regarding water leaking into the cab and rattling interiors.

I’m a die hard Toyota guy but I don’t have a lot of confidence in these just yet. 5.7 gang.
The rattling interiors was on the 2022 model from what I gathered. Have been hearing it’s gone in 2023 models. And I think the original complaints were blown out of portion

TxLite

WKR
The rattling interiors was on the 2022 model from what I gathered. Have been hearing it’s gone in 2023 models. And I think the original complaints were blown out of portion
That’s encouraging. Really hoping they end up holding up well like its predecessor

PNWGATOR

WKR
I, unexpectedly, was recently in the truck market. Did my due diligence. Chose a ‘20-21 TRD PRO. Found a ‘19 and pulled the trigger. It’s in its infancy with me, but to date, I couldn’t be happier. Want for nothing in a truck at this moment.

huntnful

WKR
I had a brand new 2015 Tundra 1974 edition 5.7 for 2 years. Put 40K miles on it and just deemed it was too nice for me. I sold it, and bought a base model 2010 Tundra with 140k miles on it for $20k cash. That was 6 years ago. It now has 230k miles on it with zero issues. I just can't see going with the newest model personally. That's a huge change for no real benefit, when the older ones are so solid. When my current one finally craps out, I'm just getting another use 5.7 from one of the later models

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
I went with the new f150 over the tundra and I’m diehard Toyota guy. Was not impressed driving the new one power wise compared to the F150 and the 2.7 in the ford is pretty bullet proof. Plus the interior is much nicer in the ford.