Who else hunts the west with a black rifle?

JPC6000

FNG
Yes, I agree sacrilegious. I have a beautiful Win 70 featherweight in 280 Remington, walnut stock with Schnabel foreend that has taken a number of elk and deer. Additionally, I have a Weatherby Ultra Light in 280 Remington, tan stock with black webs, fluted barrel. Both awesome mountain rifles to carry and shoot. However, the accuracy of this Savage MSR in 6.5 CM is ridiculous, one ragged hole at 100, less than an inch group at 200. Granted it tips the scales at roughly 10.5 lbs and I'm sure that a 10.5 lbsIMG_1199 (2).jpg bolt gun could shoot as good. I originally purchased this rifle for me to carry and my son to shoot on his first trip to CO, negligible recoil with weight and break. Now, he has graduated to a Tikka T3 Lite in 6.5 CM, I just can't seem to part ways with the Savage AR10. Not as sexy as a pre64 model 70 in a leather scabbard on the side of a painted pony - like on the cover of a Louis L'amour book, but gets the job done.

So far I have only used one in 556, chased bears in Idaho (unsuccessfully) and hunted prairie dogs and coyotes here at home. I’d really like to use one for big game here at home, but it is currently frowned upon.

Rotnguns

Lil-Rokslider
I'd have no issue using my RRA LAR-8 in .308 with 24 inch barrel. except that it's heavy (over 10 lbs without scope). Every time I think about using it I take it out of the gun safe, think about lugging it up and down the ridges in Idaho, and put it back.

DiabeticKripple

Lil-Rokslider
i built myself a Stag Arms AR-10 in 6.5CM. It weighs 8lbs scoped and I took a few animals with it before Trudeau deemed it an assault rifle designed for the battlefield and banned them. Its been a safe queen for the last 4.5 years.

Unckebob

WKR
If the other two rifles are accurate enough (and light), why change to get "more" accurate? Dead is dead?

E.Shell

FNG
I found my AR-10 to be very precise and great for target work, but hated carrying that thing in the woods. The balance point was on the front corner of the magazine and is seemed like there was no comfortable way to carry it one-handed.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Have a ruger sfar in 6.5cm that might be solid for it. My problem is I have 4 other bolt rifles I really like to shoot. I might set it up and take it out, nothing against using it just have others that I like a lot

Loper

WKR
I know several of you mentioned the bigger framed AR10s and the downside is that they are heavy. However, AR15s can be built pretty light. I’ve wondered why more don’t use these out west. Seems like a lightweight black rifle chambered in 6.5 GR or 6 ARC (or 223 where legal) woukd be great for out to 400 yards or possibly longer.

Pros
- Can be built to be lightweight
- Rapid follow up shots
- Most barrrels come threaded (saving you about $125-$150 to have factory rifle threaded)
- Could be used as quick bear defense (potentially not needing pistol, which could save weight)
- Can use a 5 round magazine instead of being limited to 3 or 4 in some factory rifles
- Most forends are attachment friendly for bipods (saving money and time having to buy attachment and modify stock)
- Picatinny rail on receiver provides ample eye relief adjustment (saves you time and money from having to buy a rail and install it)
- Adjustable butt stock
- Pistol grip

Cons
- Metal can be cold in late season hunts
- Ergonomics of carrying is less than ideal compared to bolt action, however that is a non-issue if strapped to the pack or a gun bearer is used
- Less accurate for long range precision?
- Dependability, especially in cold weather and snow
- Limited to smaller cartridges (which may not be a con if you’ve read the 223 thread)
- Frowned upon by other hunters

I’m sure I’ve missed a few cons, but I can’t think of them right now. Feel free to let me know what I’ve missed.

Dang, after typing all these out, I may have just talked myself into taking the 6 lb. 6.5 Grendel AR for this year’s Western hunt as I’m not much of a long range shooter.

I really dont think that rifle knows if its in the east or the west............

AR's get cold

While I am sure its mostly because I have used bolt guns quite a bit more. I can go from carrying a rifle in hand to getting a round on target much faster with a bolt gun. If you are hunting in the brush that makes a big difference sometimes..

taskswap

WKR
The elk I've taken don't seem to care that my rifle is black. But I'm definitely happier with my 6.2lb rifle in 7mm-08 than my 30-06 X-bolt that weighs in at just under 10lb. My shoulders thank me every hike, and the local sporting goods stores carry spare mags for it in the (unlikely) event I have an issue. To each his own.

Just make sure it's 5+1.

I used to...after I got my FC 18" they are just to heavy...plus the mag is always catching on something, closing the bolt is loud...yotes and pigs is all I use them for...sometimes you need 30rds.

Weldor

WKR
Roam 308, Hunted alot with it. suppressed under 7 lbs. Rifle alone is 5.9, suppressed and loaded mag 7.1 lbs. Add a maven RS.2 2x10x38 12 0z. more.

An AR, yes. A long time ago I would have been among those who would have considered it sacrilegious, as I preferred to keep my tactical and hunting worlds separate. Especially back when they all had carry handles. But as the AR platform shifted and became more capable over time, especially in accurizing them and modifying them, it started to shift. I have one particular accurized, lightweight AR that became an exception over time and is my go-to rifle for just about everything, mostly because it's what I put the vast majority of my time and money into, in both training and varmint hunting. I'm by far most accurate with it, especially in an all-around, any-conditions, any-position sense.