Who else hunts the west with a black rifle?

JPC6000

FNG
Yes, I agree sacrilegious. I have a beautiful Win 70 featherweight in 280 Remington, walnut stock with Schnabel foreend that has taken a number of elk and deer. Additionally, I have a Weatherby Ultra Light in 280 Remington, tan stock with black webs, fluted barrel. Both awesome mountain rifles to carry and shoot. However, the accuracy of this Savage MSR in 6.5 CM is ridiculous, one ragged hole at 100, less than an inch group at 200. Granted it tips the scales at roughly 10.5 lbs and I'm sure that a 10.5 lbsIMG_1199 (2).jpg bolt gun could shoot as good. I originally purchased this rifle for me to carry and my son to shoot on his first trip to CO, negligible recoil with weight and break. Now, he has graduated to a Tikka T3 Lite in 6.5 CM, I just can't seem to part ways with the Savage AR10. Not as sexy as a pre64 model 70 in a leather scabbard on the side of a painted pony - like on the cover of a Louis L'amour book, but gets the job done.

So far I have only used one in 556, chased bears in Idaho (unsuccessfully) and hunted prairie dogs and coyotes here at home. I’d really like to use one for big game here at home, but it is currently frowned upon.