Who else is a Tikka convert?

Nice! If you haven't tried the UM Tikka rings, they're nice. Although with my 18" 6.5 CM, shooting factory 140 eldm and a 100 yard zero, I ran out of elevation at 13-ish mils with the 4-16 atacr a few weeks ago when attempting to hit a rock at 1200 yards. Wish they had a bit of cant to them but for all practical purposes they're awesome!
I literally had the exact same thing happen the other day with my f1 shv UM low and 24 in T3X 6.5 cm. I was stretching out the 140 to see what she would do. Shooting the mile gong and ran out around 12 mils or something. Had to holdover the rest.... by a lot 🤣. A cant would be nice. I'm eyeing that SRS pic rail hard.

Juan_ID

WKR
I am a tikka convert, switched to them about 3 years ago. I only have 3 but they do all I could ever want. Still own 1 rem700 but it’s a 7mm and after shooting 6.5s down to 223 I have no desire to shoot the 7mm anymore so it works out. I did always want a 300wsm but doubt it’ll ever happen now that I’m accustomed to the smaller calibers. But if tikka were to come out with a 6mm creed maybe I’d add a 4th… 🤷‍♂️

Kanbe1

FNG
I have the Tikka Compact in .308 with a Leupold 2x7 scope . It is an awful lot of rifle for the money! A great deal, it has a blued barrel. I took my first whitetail with it this week.

Brabell12

FNG
I mulled over rifles for a few years constantly switching up brands before trying a tikka and haven’t looked back since. Reliable accurate, relatively light, feed smooth, good trigger. Brilliant at the Basics.

OP
S
I’ve been playing my tikkas in 6.5prc and 6.5 creed, and they keep surprising me each time they’re shot.
Checking pressures while shooting 10 shot groups at 100 yards.
Prc with 147 eldms and N570: 2 shots with 55gr, [email protected], 2@56, [email protected], 2@57 gr.
Ballistic-X-Export-2023-12-01 18:10:27.783509.jpg
Did the same thing with a creed, 2 shots at a different charge weight over 2 grain spread 2/41, 2/41.5, 2/42, 2/42.5, 2/43gr. Goes to show that the whole “node” that people try to find is bs
Ballistic-X-Export-2023-12-03 13:28:47.227782.jpg

Harvey_NW

WKR
I’ve been playing my tikkas in 6.5prc and 6.5 creed, and they keep surprising me each time they’re shot.
Checking pressures while shooting 10 shot groups at 100 yards.
Prc with 147 eldms and N570: 2 shots with 55gr, [email protected], 2@56, [email protected], 2@57 gr.
View attachment 636313
Did the same thing with a creed, 2 shots at a different charge weight over 2 grain spread 2/41, 2/41.5, 2/42, 2/42.5, 2/43gr. Goes to show that the whole “node” that people try to find is bs
View attachment 636314
giphy.gif

Harvey_NW

WKR
As bullets keep getting better, nodes are becoming less of a thing. More likely to see them in velocity than on paper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nodes have never been a provable concept, they disappear with valid sample size.

Do all of the people wanting canted UM rings understand why that would limit their mounting flexibility? They'd have to be allocated to a set spot on the rail (or set spacing). My guess is a lot of customers would eff this up and do mean things to their scopes because of it.

I'm a fan of tikka actions. They are a very desirable platform to build off of for the price IMO. Factory tikka lite rifles thus far have shot to about the precision level I would would expect a modern factory bolt action to shoot for the price. I haven't had any that were particularly impressive or unimpressive in that regard but my sample size is small.

Last edited:
Do all of the people wanting canted UM rings understand why that would limit their mounting flexibility? They'd have to be allocated to a set spot on the rail. My guess is a lot of customers would eff this up and do mean things to their scopes because of it.

I'm a fan of tikka actions. Factory tikka lite rifles thus far have shot to about the precision level I would would expect a modern factory bolt action to shoot for the price. I haven't had any that were particularly impressive or unimpressive in that regard but my sample size is small.
That makes sense.

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
I've been trying to be a convert. I've owned multiple tikkas now. The 4 I currently have have never been impressive. I had trouble with them when I first got them. Then I tinkered until I got them to shoot acceptable at least.

Now admittedly I am the unluckiest guy I know so take this however. I literally broke my neck this summer. So the rifles were untouched in the safe until very close to hunting season. I pulled out the .243 and the 6.5 creed to see which recoil I could handle. They shot like absolute garbage. I tried the .308...same same. I transferred them to a KRG bravo to try and no joy. I finally got the .243 to shoot a completely different ammo than before at a completely different torque setting in the factory stock.

So I either have to mess with them AGAIN, or re-barrel, or trade / sell them off for something else. I'll take a "lesser platform" if it performs. I might try ONE more time putting ONE in the KRG....

Would be real easy for someone in CO to do a face to face and buy them from me right now. I should add my Ruger predator did not suffer any ill effects from being stored. I just couldn't get my neck in position on the factory stock every time. I should have just modified it and been done. Would have saved some frustration.

OP
S
I've been trying to be a convert. I've owned multiple tikkas now. The 4 I currently have have never been impressive. I had trouble with them when I first got them. Then I tinkered until I got them to shoot acceptable at least.

Now admittedly I am the unluckiest guy I know so take this however. I literally broke my neck this summer. So the rifles were untouched in the safe until very close to hunting season. I pulled out the .243 and the 6.5 creed to see which recoil I could handle. They shot like absolute garbage. I tried the .308...same same. I transferred them to a KRG bravo to try and no joy. I finally got the .243 to shoot a completely different ammo than before at a completely different torque setting in the factory stock.

So I either have to mess with them AGAIN, or re-barrel, or trade / sell them off for something else. I'll take a "lesser platform" if it performs. I might try ONE more time putting ONE in the KRG....

Would be real easy for someone in CO to do a face to face and buy them from me right now. I should add my Ruger predator did not suffer any ill effects from being stored. I just couldn't get my neck in position on the factory stock every time. I should have just modified it and been done. Would have saved some frustration.
Damn man, sounds like you've been through the wringer! Hope everything continues progressing in a positive direction with your recovery.

What ammo are you running through your 6.5 creed?

Harvey_NW

WKR
I finally got the .243 to shoot a completely different ammo than before at a completely different torque setting in the factory stock.

So I either have to mess with them AGAIN, or re-barrel, or trade / sell them off for something else.
Torque action screws to 50-60in/lb with blue loctite, and shoot a 10 shot group. The "getting it to shoot at different torque setting" is usually based on small sample size, and a misunderstanding of the rifles cone. If you still want to sell them I have a local FFL you can ship to and we can talk more seriously in a DM.

Bama67

FNG
I guess I don't see why someone would spend $1100 on what a Tikka costs now and then spend several hundred more on a better stock when you can get a Seekins that's made with love in Idaho for $1500.

I don't own either one btw.

I guess I don't see why someone would spend $1100 on what a Tikka costs now and then spend several hundred more on a better stock when you can get a Seekins that's made with love in Idaho for $1500.

Form has proven the R700 Trigger to be unreliable.

4cMuley

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a tikka 22-250 this year with an 8 twist. Shoots everything pretty well from 55’s to 77’s with boring consistency ~1-1.75 moa. My only gripe is the magazine hasn’t shown much for reliable feeding. The follower gets out of whack somehow with rounds in the mag. Thinking it might have more to do with the silly tapered ‘250 case but it’s an annoyance.

I’m probably in the minority here but I wish like hell there was a way turn it into a blind mag box. Just not a huge fan of detachable mags on a hunting rifle (my opinion)

OP
S

Outside of the alleged trigger reliability of the Tikkas, I think the Tikka stocks are pretty functional for what they are. I've had XLR chassis, KRG bravos, AG composites, McMillans, etc., and where I'm at with my current level of shooting/hunting, the factory T3x stocks with a vertical grip get the job done very well all while keeping the weight low. If one hates the t3x stocks then swapping out to another stock might not much sense economically.