A Budget Hunting Rifle Build

Halligan

FNG
This is a great point. Using the used market for a budget rifle build is a great option. I will have to note that going this route has risks. You don’t know how the rifle was cared for. I’d recommend brining a person with you who is knowledge able about rifles and know what to look for when making a purchase from the used market. I had a bad experience in the past and over paid for a completely shot out barrel.

I’ve always wanted a M70. Let’s see some pics of this build!
100%, knowing the basics and then the idiosyncrasies related to certain firearms is a must (i.e. good/bad years, barrel condition, etc.). I'd even throw in knowing the market, and for those who want to go used, below is a list of things I've point out/asked (with tact) that have driven the price down, sometimes dramatically:
1) The price is out of range
2) The gun has been refinished
3) This/that needs repair
4) Ask how long it has been on their books (shops all of the sudden love to haggle when something hasn't moved in a year)
5) I got cash and am a pretty cool guy (lol)

It always useful to remember that shops often pay about 45%-60% of a firearm's resale value, thus there is always some room to make a deal.

Also here is the old girl, I'd take some better pics, but she is off at the smith for some TLC. Went the resto route to have this as a classic woods gun.
IMG_2947.jpgIMG_2946.jpg

100%, knowing the basics and then the idiosyncrasies related to certain firearms is a must (i.e. good/bad years, barrel condition, etc.). I'd even throw in knowing the market, and for those who want to go used, below is a list of things I've point out/asked (with tact) that have driven the price down, sometimes dramatically:
1) The price is out of range
2) The gun has been refinished
3) This/that needs repair
4) Ask how long it has been on their books (shops all of the sudden love to haggle when something hasn't moved in a year)
5) I got cash and am a pretty cool guy (lol)

It always useful to remember that shops often pay about 45%-60% of a firearm's resale value, thus there is always some room to make a deal.

Also here is the old girl, I'd take some better pics, but she is off at the smith for some TLC. Went the resto route to have this as a classic woods gun.
View attachment 776431View attachment 776422
Beautiful M70! I have a few year old M70 featherweight that while she looks good, doesn't hold a candle to yours!

Sent from my SM-S921U using Tapatalk