When you find a game camera in public land

I’ve checked some-the ones that people put right on a road and trails and made sure a few were readjusted to capture stuff. Started to put apple air tags on some work cameras to make people weary of taking them.

Adam5757

FNG
A and B. Usually give it a thumbs up. This year I gave a cam a thumbs up on the way in and drug a buck out past it on the way out. That was fun. I've had more cams stolen on public than I can count. I've found the cell cams people tend to leave alone so I typically run them on public.

MIbowhunter4954

Lil-Rokslider
Question:
When you come across a game camera on public land - what do you do?

A - Leave it alone

B - Walk in front of it

C - Check the SD card

D - Take the SD card

E - Take the camera

I place some cams on public land. I’ve had people do ‘B’ - ‘C’ - ‘D’

I’ve done ‘A’ and ‘B’

Anyone?

I always make a point to walk infront of it, and make sure I'm looking at it when I do

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
A- leave it alone. If someone else went thru the trouble of putting up a camera, it's none of my business.

Coues123

FNG
I'm curious if all those who are hell bent on removing an item clearly attached to a tree (generally) with a known legal purpose use the two weeks or assume it's abandoned property rationale, have the same desire to pick up every other piece of trash they find on public property and go home with a truckload of trash every trip.
If you take an other person's camera (or any item) do not question/gripe about another person shooting from a vehicle, taking more than their bag limit, not wearing orange, driving off the road or any other host of things that you would never do.
Integrity, is a core individual trait developed throughout life.
In any group of people 99% are good people the 1% can give everybody else a bad taste.

A. Leave it alone.

Generally, leave it alone and cross it off the hunting list. Although for the first time this year I checked someone's SD card. They were illegally baiting on public land, so I figured it was only fair.

Wilderness Spirit

Lil-Rokslider
Always A. For the past three years I have been walking by a cell cam on a trail I regularly run the dogs on. The camera is in a heavvily used section of state game land close to the shore of a very popular state park lake. The area is stocked with pheasants during the hunting season . I'm not sure why the camera is even there. This past summer I came across onther one in the same area basically on the same trail a few hundred yards away. This one is on a tree on the lake shore facing a popular fishing spot. I believe the same person has both cameras as they are the same brands. It just seems odd that they are placed where they are. Not a typical place for a camera for scouting deer. Seems like they they are there to keep tabs on people.

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
I definitely don't touch cameras that are not mine. Wouldn't want someone messing with my stuff so I extend others the same respect. I had my first camera vandalized last year. I know it wasn't a bear(which has happened before) because the SD Card, batteries, and strap had been removed and my camera looked like it was bashed by a rock.

The areas where I hunt, scout or place cameras are generally off the beaten path a bit so I don't see too many cameras or signs others are frequenting the area, or I wouldn't be in there.

That said I've found a few. Always stand in front and give em a smile and a thumbs up. I'm sure I have walked passed cameras that unknowingly got my pic, no harm making sure they get my good side from time to time

Last edited:
Me and my brother ran into a strung up deer quarter while fly fishing. I took these pictures and almost thought about calling the F&G but I had no reason to think the deer was poached other then it was dead. I also think the trail camera was the messaging kind since it was about where you lost service, but I still had some. And the brown thing above the feeder said iirc Portland Zoo or some other zoo, which makes me think it was a scientific study. I just wanna know what predators your gonna get on that cam
right off the road in Utah.
IMG_3683.jpg
IMG_3684.jpgIMG_3682.jpg

Honestly one of the strangest things I've ever seen in the woods, and I really wonder what was going on, if any of you guys have theories. But yeah I just let the camera be

Question:
When you come across a game camera on public land - what do you do?

A - Leave it alone

B - Walk in front of it

C - Check the SD card

D - Take the SD card

E - Take the camera

I place some cams on public land. I’ve had people do ‘B’ - ‘C’ - ‘D’

I’ve done ‘A’ and ‘B’

Anyone?
A or B.