When you find a game camera in public land

cnelk

WKR
Question:
When you come across a game camera on public land - what do you do?

A - Leave it alone

B - Walk in front of it

C - Check the SD card

D - Take the SD card

E - Take the camera

I place some cams on public land. I’ve had people do ‘B’ - ‘C’ - ‘D’

I’ve done ‘A’ and ‘B’

Anyone?

Depending on the state, messing with it can constitute hunter harassment, among other crimes (theft + possession of stolen property, etc.)

I seem to lose a couple cards a year, I've had a few cameras stolen, I've had a few cards checked, its always interesting so see software on the card from a brand you don't run. Had at least one card get corrupted because of that.
Had a card stolen last week, saw the guys truck while he was in there so I'll be casually keeping an eye out

JNDEER

WKR
A and C (if I have a reader)

Its public land and you are leaving your personal property. It is a risk you take. I even found a camera "abandoned" in a heavily hunted OTC elk hunt where when I used "C" from the list above found that the batteries were dead and the last pic of anything was from two years ago.

Despite my feelings about leaving personal property on public land- I NEVER take a camera, stands, blinds etc from public lands.

ChrisAU

WKR
Depends on how bored I am. Do I see it while chasing an animal or while fighting the urge to nap while eating lunch? First scenario I leave it be. 2nd scenario I’m probably gonna do my best Titanic Kate Winslet impersonation in front of it with a Silence of the Lambs tuck.

I kid I kid.

Maybe.

A, will sometimes post up on one of our local groups and see if anyone wants to exchange pics.