When you find a game camera in public land

FLATHEAD

WKR
A. I dont fool with other peoples stuff.

Once I walked through the entrance of some state land in FL., - stopped to pee and when I was done I looked up to see the camera they put up to monitor
who comes through. I didnt know they did that, till then.....too late.

Bluumoon

WKR
If I were clever I'd put on a show, otherwise just walk on by.

I'm more curious about sitting someone else's stand on public, specifically CO. Fair game? Doesn't seem like any harm, but can def see someone getting pissy about it.

hjyeatts

FNG
Question:
When you come across a game camera on public land - what do you do?

A - Leave it alone

B - Walk in front of it

C - Check the SD card

D - Take the SD card

E - Take the camera

I place some cams on public land. I’ve had people do ‘B’ - ‘C’ - ‘D’

I’ve done ‘A’ and ‘B’

Anyone?
A not touching someone else’s cam.

was with a buddy one time and he had some cameras from archery season left pretty deep on public. Not in a place likely to have someone find it (off trail). It was late rifle season and we were in the area so we grabbed the cameras before winter. Got to the truck to check them and there was a guy on the camera messing with it for like a dozen pictures. My buddy was super pissed until I took the reader and pointed out it was actually his father that he couldn't recognize.

WCB

WKR
Give it a thumbs up or strike a pose real quick then walk on. Illegal to leave it on public land in MN so.... I wouldn't take it....might report it if it looks like a guy cleared shooting lanes are has a stand and maybe some bait near by. But just a random camera in the middle of the woods....eh.

CorbLand

WKR
I was hunting with a kid one day and we came across a salt lick. Lots of cows in the area so they are pretty common. We stood there for about 5-10 minutes with me convincing the kid to lick it. He finally did and when we turned around there was a camera pointed at it. Some dude somewhere has a ton of pictures or video of us.

We both promptly mooned it and walked away.

S.Clancy

WKR
To all saying that "A is the only answer", remember, anything left on public land for more than 2 weeks without moving it is breaking the law. Working for FS we removed a lot of things that had been left for more than 2 weeks (documented) including cameras. I've removed other items, including cameras. I have also left cameras up for over 2 weeks and have had them removed. In answering the question, I primarily do A, but have done others.

Yoder

WKR
I don't mess with them. Illegal stands left in months after the season closes, those I mess with.

EdP

WKR
To all saying that "A is the only answer", remember, anything left on public land for more than 2 weeks without moving it is breaking the law. Working for FS we removed a lot of things that had been left for more than 2 weeks (documented) including cameras. I've removed other items, including cameras. I have also left cameras up for over 2 weeks and have had them removed. In answering the question, I primarily do A, but have done others.
This may be the law in Montana but it isn't the law in Virginia. For example, I can back country camp in the same location in the National Forest for 3 weeks straight.

Venom One

WKR
I wish there was a way for people who think it's ok or excusable to mess with other people's stuff, to have their stuff messed with all the time. And for people who leave other's stuff alone to never have their stuff messed with.

Impossible, but it sure would be nice.

I would treat it essentially like a tree or a rock. I don't owe any special treatment for someone's game camera, other than to ignore it as if it weren't even there. I'm not going to go out of my way to not have it take my photo, cause I am damn photogenic, and the owner will appreciate seeing my smiling face. :)

I definitely cannot understand anyone who thinks it's ok to view the photos or otherwise mess with it. In areas where it's illegal, drop a waypoint and report it if you are so inclined.