When to add a second dog?

OP
TSAMP

TSAMP

WKR
Thanks for the feedback guys. Its helped paint the picture and I think it mostly is boiling down to me. My dog and I have a great system and travel often together chasing critters. I sort of feel like a 3rd dog will cramp our style.

Kennel in backseat of Supercrew for example. I'm sure I could cobble somthing but it's great to have the dog in cab for multiple reasons.

OP
TSAMP

TSAMP

WKR
Figured I owed you folks some more pics. The puppy has now found out the coyote tail is a good time.

Attachments

• Snapchat-885886660.jpg
    Snapchat-885886660.jpg
    573.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 20240208_140752.jpg
    20240208_140752.jpg
    494.9 KB · Views: 26
OP
TSAMP

TSAMP

WKR
Took a break from arguing about cape Buffalo, thought I'd Update the group. Pups acclimated well and big dog has established the pecking order it would seem. Hes the only thing pup doesnt bite. 1000003061.jpg

Attachments

• 65332.jpeg
    65332.jpeg
    406.1 KB · Views: 12
Put in your mouth piece and pump up your Reeboks.

I've done two intact males in a household....Twice. It never works. And I am very familiar with versatile dogs as a Draht owner. Most think they can do it. I did.

Don't want to be a downer. Deal is done. Everyone loves puppies. I do.

Simply stay on your game in about 16 months. And expect bumps in the road and around the house.

Very cute puppy tho. All the Bearded ones are....

KurtR

WKR

I've done two intact males in a household....Twice. It never works. And I am very familiar with versatile dogs as a Draht owner. Most think they can do it. I did.

Simply stay on your game in about 16 months. And expect bumps in the road and around the house.

you think that is a versatile breed thing as all i have ever had were intact male labs and never had a problem seems the female labs were more bitches and fought more.

OP
TSAMP

TSAMP

WKR

Yeah that was considered. I've heard mixed reviews on the topic, I suspect it's got a few more variables at play besides just testicles that determines the dynamic. We will see.

RE: Versatile.....not really. But by breeding standards....which I am a fan of....think you generally get a much "hotter" dog than most are ready for.

I believe that in the field or on a joint hunt with a buddy with an intact male of flavor X....can be of little issue. Many of the V breeds are very mentally sound and "confident". Meaning they pay little mind to other dogs and stay right on task of hunting.

If it were Dungeons and Dragons....I'd roll a 20 side and wager a 30% chance of in the field altercation.

Around the home....think the probablity simply swells over time.

And the blow outs and fights are much more severe. I've seen 100s of dog fights. If slowed down in frame by frame...they're generally "mock" fights. Lots of slobber and white teeth. And lots of near misses.

My dog bites soooooo GD hard. They're not mock fights or dominance displays. I've accidentally been bitten just by wading in to break up fights. It's about $100 per second in vet bills.

Again....I don't want to be a Downer. Guy just got a puppy. And the selection is made and pup is home. Best of luck. Just my life experiences and those I've crossed paths with in travels...lead me to believe other.

If it's not full on dog fights, there's high probablity of marking non stop, in the house, positional couch battles for dominance, who is closer to Mom or Dad squabbles, etc. In my world, it's been non stop for couple decades. I am over it.

By breed, I don' think Pudels run as Hot. But I've only seen a handful of them and only have one friend that has a Pudel. Single dog house hold.

OP
TSAMP

TSAMP

WKR
RE: Versatile.....not really. But by breeding standards....which I am a fan of....think you generally get a much "hotter" dog than most are ready for.

I believe that in the field or on a joint hunt with a buddy with an intact male of flavor X....can be of little issue. Many of the V breeds are very mentally sound and "confident". Meaning they pay little mind to other dogs and stay right on task of hunting.

If it were Dungeons and Dragons....I'd roll a 20 side and wager a 30% chance of in the field altercation.

Around the home....think the probablity simply swells over time.

And the blow outs and fights are much more severe. I've seen 100s of dog fights. If slowed down in frame by frame...they're generally "mock" fights. Lots of slobber and white teeth. And lots of near misses.

My dog bites soooooo GD hard. They're not mock fights or dominance displays. I've accidentally been bitten just by wading in to break up fights. It's about $100 per second in vet bills.

Again....I don't want to be a Downer. Guy just got a puppy. And the selection is made and pup is home. Best of luck. Just my life experiences and those I've crossed paths with in travels...lead me to believe other.

If it's not full on dog fights, there's high probablity of marking non stop, in the house, positional couch battles for dominance, who is closer to Mom or Dad squabbles, etc. In my world, it's been non stop for couple decades. I am over it.

By breed, I don' think Pudels run as Hot. But I've only seen a handful of them and only have one friend that has a Pudel. Single dog house
I can't say I disagree with much of the above. I think my older male is not sharp, but he is dominant. He does not to react to dogs at all until they're in his face and even still only long enough to get space.

He is always working to move up the pecking order and I don't give him blind trust, I watch him around the 9 yr old kid in the house, even though he's never done anything. I think ill just have to stay dilligent with the other dog as well.

Like everything else, it all comes with risk. I appreciate the feedback

OP
TSAMP

TSAMP

WKR
To update the thread. One circumstance I hadn't thought much about is how annoying a second dog would be in the house when it's crappy outside. Been getting our spring showers here and new pup and old dog are battling throughout the house constantly if they can't get outside. Just when you think your 4 month old dogs getting some manners, don't run him for a day and you'll get a wake up call reap quick.

KurtR

WKR
To update the thread. One circumstance I hadn't thought much about is how annoying a second dog would be in the house when it's crappy outside. Been getting our spring showers here and new pup and old dog are battling throughout the house constantly if they can't get outside. Just when you think your 4 month old dogs getting some manners, don't run him for a day and you'll get a wake up call reap quick.
No way i would put up with that. Stay on the place board and have manners or go back in the crate

When I was debating about male or female for my last draht puppy, I got this advice…

Get a wiffle ball bat and use it VERY liberally anytime there is attitude. The guy that told me this owned two stud dogs and is a longtime VDD judge.

It’s been my experience males coexist fine in the field but really get to be a pain around camp, feeding time, the pickup, etc.

Manage them firmly and leave no question about who is alpha.