When to add a second dog?

TSAMP

WKR
I'd like to pick the brains of some of the experts here on how did it go transitioning from a single to two dog crew? How did you time it? Glad you did it?

I have a 5 y/o pudelpointer that is intact, have been considering adding another versatile to my household. These dogs would live indoors with my family and be companions. My male is friendly, I'm not too concerned on them getting along, although I'd likely get a female to help with that, I think.

Primary reason for the new pup would be because I have the time to train it now, and the timing makes sense to keep me hunting through dog 1's old age. 2nd reason is the lady wants a pup and Im taking advantage of that to have my way. I rarely hunt long enough to need to rotate 2 dogs. So they'd be a pair in the field here in Iowa.

KurtR

WKR
I will get another pup right around that 5 year old mark. That should be the older dogs prime and i will have time to train the puppy. I will get another male as i dont want to deal with the male female factor. I have always had them and they never had a problem they shared the same house out side with each other.

JD Jones

WKR
No expert but 4-5 yr mark I get another dog. Working to ensure I have the dog power that’s sustainable and not be without

JD Jones

WKR
If you are looking for another PP let me know. I’m very good friends with a recognized breeder of PPs. Lots of Cedarwoods in his lines and he’s close with Bob

Superdoo

WKR
Primary reason for the new pup would be because I have the time to train it now
That is the primary factor on deciding when to add another dog.
If a dog aging out is your concern you still have a couple of years. You won't notice a decline in performance/ ability to hunt all day until at least 7 years as long as the dog is healthy.
The new dog really only needs a year of training and a season of hunting before it will be able to function reliably in the field. Especially true for PP's!

#browndogsmatter
1678118266664.png

OP
TSAMP

TSAMP

WKR
If you are looking for another PP let me know. I’m very good friends with a recognized breeder of PPs. Lots of Cedarwoods in his lines and he’s close with Bob
Thank you. I am leaning that direction. Although I feel like a wire hair may also be in the cards. I have a local-ish breeder as well. It seems these dogs are much easier to come by than 6 years ago. Im familar with Bob. Shoot me a pm and we can chat.

OP
TSAMP

TSAMP

WKR
That is the primary factor on deciding when to add another dog.
If a dog aging out is your concern you still have a couple of years. You won't notice a decline in performance/ ability to hunt all day until at least 7 years as long as the dog is healthy.
The new dog really only needs a year of training and a season of hunting before it will be able to function reliably in the field. Especially true for PP's!

#browndogsmatter
View attachment 526358
Oh man. Lefty has definitely seen some shit. If that isn't Clint Eastwood from gran torino in dog form I don't know what is.

Superdoo

WKR
Oh man. Lefty has definitely seen some shit. If that isn't Clint Eastwood from gran torino in dog form I don't know what is.
She's a straight killer. Got no time for cuddles, and just bides her time until we go again. She just turned ten and he just turned 2.

OP
TSAMP

TSAMP

WKR
Thanks for the feedback gentlemen. How does having the second dog change your general experience at home, as well as in the field? Do you do anything differently because of the new tag along?

Superdoo

WKR
Thanks for the feedback gentlemen. How does having the second dog change your general experience at home, as well as in the field? Do you do anything differently because of the new tag along?
For me it does add some complexity, but the situations only show me where my training is lacking. I have also seen where one dog is too competitive with the other, so you'll see them leap frogging each other to get in front rather than searching for game.
A lot of it can be trained out of them, but before it does you'll find yourself running the e-collar remote a lot more than you'd like.

At home, I've never had an issue. They keep each other company and play together. The only downside is you will be doubling your chances for coming hope to spots of puke, holes in the yard and every other downside of owning dogs.

I wouldn't have it any other way though.

11864825_10155936952365471_2063088843385350543_o.jpg

I've been pestering my wife to get a 4th dog because my hunting dog is 7 and its gonna take 2 years to get a new dog up to snuff. Well one of the dogs recently died and she's tore up about it so I promised to wait 1 year.

I also want to breed my existing hunting dog cuz he's a great hunter and I like the way he works the woods

Picking up a new pup in 7 weeks since our current bird dog is 7. Perfect timing for this thread to be started. Any tips on introducing the new pup to the older? I’ve read a few articles so far about introducing each other but any personal tips/experiences would be appreciated.

KenLee

WKR
For me it does add some complexity, but the situations only show me where my training is lacking. I have also seen where one dog is too competitive with the other, so you'll see them leap frogging each other to get in front rather than searching for game.
A lot of it can be trained out of them, but before it does you'll find yourself running the e-collar remote a lot more than you'd like.

At home, I've never had an issue. They keep each other company and play together. The only downside is you will be doubling your chances for coming hope to spots of puke, holes in the yard and every other downside of owning dogs.

I wouldn't have it any other way though.

11864825_10155936952365471_2063088843385350543_o.jpg
Any opinion on whether a Pudelpointer would be a good candidate to train for tracking wounded deer while ignoring the healthy ones?
I expect the 2nd part to be by far the hardest.

Superdoo

WKR
Picking up a new pup in 7 weeks since our current bird dog is 7. Perfect timing for this thread to be started. Any tips on introducing the new pup to the older? I’ve read a few articles so far about introducing each other but any personal tips/experiences would be appreciated.
I'll be quick as this thread isn't really about this.
Common sense prevails when introducing dogs of any age to each other. Start in a controlled environment and monitor both animals behaviors. I've always had an easy time with this. 5 minutes later and they are playing.

@TSAMP I forgot to mention that most of the time my dogs are in the field, they are working with at least two other dogs. When two hunters are running 4 dogs, things can get a little weird/ chaotic. It depends on the situation and the cover that's being hunted.
That being said, I tend to keep my dogs working for me and and let the other dogs work for their owners. Other times we just let the dogs mix up and stay ready for flushes. I guess what I'm getting at is that you may find yourself needing to hunt "by yourself" with your hunting party and that it's actually really fun to see your friends get a flush and then a little later you get one. Separating covers the ground better and it helps keep the dogs in line.

OP
TSAMP

TSAMP

WKR
I'll be quick as this thread isn't really about this.
Common sense prevails when introducing dogs of any age to each other. Start in a controlled environment and monitor both animals behaviors. I've always had an easy time with this. 5 minutes later and they are playing.

@TSAMP I forgot to mention that most of the time my dogs are in the field, they are working with at least two other dogs. When two hunters are running 4 dogs, things can get a little weird/ chaotic. It depends on the situation and the cover that's being hunted.
That being said, I tend to keep my dogs working for me and and let the other dogs work for their owners. Other times we just let the dogs mix up and stay ready for flushes. I guess what I'm getting at is that you may find yourself needing to hunt "by yourself" with your hunting party and that it's actually really fun to see your friends get a flush and then a little later you get one. Separating covers the ground better and it helps keep the dogs in line.
Good note. 4 dogs sounds like complete anarchy. I generally hunt alone.

That's gonna depend on what you expect...

Some of us expect dead broke on birds in the field, a dog that can do that consistently before 2 is VERY rare.

When you add in hunting objectives intelligently...

At one point in my life I had the sorry task of putting down a great bird dog and great dog in general.
I bought a yellow lab pup from a couple that had some down the street(no papers). I started train it and quickly realized it was gun shy. Total meltdown when he saw a firearm.

Otherwise a good pup and my girl friend at the time was in love with the dog. That dog wasnt going anywhere. So I bought another lab from a registered breeder with some hunting dog parents. I had my reservations about having two dogs (a pack) around but It turned out great. One was a great hunter and one just a pet for the girl friend. Well they both were great pets for my girl friend but I got to train one and hunt with him.
I cant really say it was any hassle Having both. But I had the right facility as I lived on a small farm property with lots of space. Could be labs are just good pets. Another breed might have been a nightmare.