What's the right move - hunters hunting the same basin

Mountneer

FNG
You know the dilemma - on public western lands - you're way way back in, on foot. Another hunter(s) occupies the same view shed as you. What's your protocol or thoughts on how to approach the hunt? What do you use to determine your move - distance? who's there first? Tree cover? Time of day? Moving or glassing?

Too many variables to consider. If they were there first then try to make the best guess as to what they’re doing and don’t get in the way. It sucks when you’re already glassing a knob and somebody comes in later and sits just off to one side and basically claims 50% of what you planned to hunt, that’s the most common run-in I see. Then again public land is gonna have some extra folks so the best bet to avoid interactions is put in a little extra leg work.

IDVortex

WKR
Sneak up from behind, tie them up, hunt!
But, make sure to pants them. So you show primal dominance over them.

This is going to be really the first year of trying to glass hill sides and hunt said areas I glass. I'll just do it like i have hunting other areas with people. Try to get there first, use them to my advantage and use the wind. And at the end of the day, not allow them to sour my attitude when I'm out doing something I love. Guess another reason I am trying to get as lightweight for backcountry hunting is I can travel more, and farther than the guy I just met on the first ridge, ill go back to the next one or 3 while he's still huffin and puffin.

svivian

WKR
Learn to let them pressure the animals to you. Be smart with wind and thermals. I’ve learned to love having other hunters in my general area. Makes for easier kills most of the time.
I’d read this one twice… a lot of guys get in their own head when they see other hunters in the same area. Figuring out animals exit strategies can set you up for an easy kill.

prm

WKR
It’s a reality you’ll bump into others. If they are moving, consider it a drive and position yourself accordingly. If I know someone else was there first I try to move elsewhere.

I’d read this one twice… a lot of guys get in their own head when they see other hunters in the same area. Figuring out animals exit strategies can set you up for an easy kill.

From a lot personal experience, I don’t think that applies well to elk.
At least not in a ‘basin’ scenario.

Maverick1

WKR
Really kind of depends. I’ve moved to an entirely different ridge before because of other hunters. Then again, I had a couple of guys come tromping through my setup once and shot an elk about an hour later.

Well I suppose my freezer over the years disagrees hunting otc in Colorado where I live.

Just my .02

I’m right there with you (CO. otc some years, full freezer)

I hunt basins. Some small, some big, some giant.
I understand how the elk move, when and why.
I also know where they typically go when pressured.

I’m just saying, unless you’re totally dialed, it’s a very difficult tactic and saying ‘easy kill’ just is a ridiculous tough thing to say nonchalantly…unless you’re totally and completely dialed.

Also, I think it’s typically better to not try and catch elk in their escape hatch, but to know where they’ll typically end up.
In my experience, is 1-2 miles down valley, and that’s has in the past, been the most productive hunting.

svivian

WKR
I’m right there with you (CO. otc some years, full freezer)

I hunt basins. Some small, some big, some giant.
I understand how the elk move, when and why.
I also know where they typically go when pressured.

I’m just saying, unless you’re totally dialed, it’s a very difficult tactic and saying ‘easy kill’ just is a ridiculous tough thing to say nonchalantly…unless you’re totally and completely dialed.

Also, I think it’s typically better to not try and catch elk in their escape hatch, but to know where they’ll typically end up.
In my experience, is 1-2 miles down valley, and that’s has in the past, been the most productive hunting.
Beauty of an Internet forum is everyone can share their own experiences and others reading can come to their own conclusions.

🤷‍♂️

Wrench

WKR
I use this strategy in Washington every year. I never expect to be the one to get the first shot because we all camp out on the same herds.

I know how to play the exit strategy game and make it work. Elk will usually stop or slow down a bunch at crossings and saddles that they must cross but lack dense cover.....and that's where I like to strike.

Beauty of an Internet forum is everyone can share their own experiences and others reading can come to their own conclusions.

🤷‍♂️
Don’t fret about your inexperience! Ol Spike Camp is dialed! 25 years and counting, DIY with slingshot! He has next level medals from Obama, if you believe it! 😜

Last edited: