Lighter 30-06 for the mountains?

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a flatlander new to western hunting. I'll be heading out to MT for rifle elk for first time this year. Here's my dilemma, my current setup (Or am I supposed to say rig?) that I plan to take is a Savage high country 30-06 with a Leup vx-hd5 3x15. Barnes 168g. Rifle fully loaded weighs 10lb4oz. Rifle is shooter out to the ranges I'm comfortable with ~500-600yds. I have several other rifles in the same chambering but they just get heavier. This has never been an issue as I primarily hunt south/midwest whitetail and I'm not hiking hills at altitude in those places. Honestly, I never would have worried about that weight until I started reading these forums, thanks guys...

question to you guys is two fold. 1) is this too much weight? and 2)if so, recs on lighter options? I know there are a ton of other options out there that are great, but for this hunt I'm sticking with 30-06 as my only choice (lifetime of rounds in the caliber both factory and hand loads) and I just like what it can do.

Easy first option, go to smaller scope 3x10 or so and shave 6 oz. Now, I'm under 10lbs. Good enough?

Lighter options I'm looking at, again all in 30-06:
Kimber Mountain Ascent-probably my first choice
Other Kimber-harder to find in 30-06
tikka t3 lite
Win M70 EWSS
Savage UL
Other??

Would welcome your thoughts if experience with any of the above, especially the Kimber.

Budget for rifle only around $2K, less is always better. Will go with smaller/lighter 3x10 or so scope.

Thanks to all, you guys have been a world of help to this point.
Buy the Kimber Mountain Ascent. I can’t sing the praises of this rifle enough. I hunt high altitude mountain hunts annually and was using my beautiful Ruger 1, 7mm Rem Mag. The weight was getting to me as was the pain when/if I dinged the wood (which I have since refinished and it looks great). I ordered the Kimber 2 years ago in same caliber, 7mm… and it’s now my go-to rifle: light, no kick whatsoever due to the muzzle break, and synthetic stock resists dings and scratches. LOVE this rifle and took a cow elk with it this last year. You’ll love owning it.

First, my 30-06 weighs 5.4 lbs (Fieldcraft)....had to start by rubbing it in! Now that that's out of the way, I'd say it really depends on what kind of hunting you are doing out here. If you are going to be truck based, or horse based, I'd agree with a lot of folks that have recommended sticking with what you have and you shoot well. Be in decent shape for the hunt, get a good sling or a kifaru gun bearer for your pack and go hunt! If you are getting into real backcountry hunting a ways in and for a period of time, or plan on big days in rough country, cutting a few pounds off the rifle will be really nice. But there is really something to be said about trying out what you have to better figure out what you'd want next time. On the other hand, if you are just looking for an excuse to buy another rifle - I can whole heartedly get on board with that as well!

Also, fwiw, I wouldn't want a 30-06 any lighter than my fieldcraft. Its not brutal by any means but its pretty lively when you fire off an upper end 180 grain handload. Good luck with whatever you decide!

I would work out (a lot) with your current rifle.. If you can't get to where you're comfortable with a good workout (carrying all your gear including rifle) , then the altitude will become a problem pretty quickly... In my western hunting I've found that every ounce matters, but I'll have to admit that I carried a fairly heavy rifle for years.. I set as my criteria that my rifle had to be stainless and had to have a good synthetic stock.. The mountain weather and inability to clean as often as a blued gun might need it should not have to be dealt with. I was reluctant to swap out to a lighter weight for fear of it not shooting as well as my heavier proven rifle... I compromised and bought a TIKKA T3X in the Veil configuration and have to say it is one of the best all-round rifles I've ever owned or shot.. If I were buying today I'd probably buy the new TIKKA T3X in the Ember configuration and not look back... If I were you for your first hunt though, I'd take what I have and am comfortable with and focus my extra funds on other items you'll definitely want to pickup if you don't already have them (Great backpack, Great boots, etc, etc)..

Last edited:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member

yfarm

WKR
Gentleman in Wy camp last October from Wisconsin had a Fieldcraft 06, sent to LRI in Rapid City, had it cut down to 20”, had a brake installed and carried up and down some steep landscape we hunted last year. Said he was happy with the rifle and was not recoil sensative.

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
Since you`re familiar with Savage 110 actions, might consider a look at the Lite variant of the 110 Storm.

crrakcrrak

Lil-Rokslider
Real question you should consider is, are you comfortable shooting a really lightweight rifle? I shoot a kimber montana in 300 wm, no brake. It took a few boxes to get comfortable with it. Consider kimbers are notorious for their barrels heating up quickly during practice causing stringing. I don’t shoot more than 3 round groups. That being said - after learning all of that, if I had to make a shot within 500 yards that’s the rifle I’d grab.
What he said.

Geewhiz

WKR
Light rifles are easier to pack. Heavy rifles are easier to shot. Find your balance.

Although I wouldnt call 10 lbs super light, its also not super heavy. I pack around a 12.8 lb behemoth during rifle season and dont regret it a bit, especially when it gives me the confidence to hit anything I aim at, at just about any range.

Dennis

WKR
I understand your question and the dilemma. I have returned to the 30-06 as my all around rifle. After a lifetime of chasing the perfect rifle I now believe it is best to find the lightest rifle you can shoot well, and the heaviest rifle you want to carry. It is probably different for all of us!

Rifle balance and quickness is important especially if shooting off hand in the timber or wherever.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!

kcm2

WKR
You carry a rifle a lot more than you shoot it. Elk are big, 8-9x is plenty at 500 or less. Leupold 2x.5x8 is the lightweight champion of scopes. My 270 with 4 rounds of ammo and a Slogan thermoplastic sling is a little over 7 lbs. And it's killed elk at 500 with the 3x9 Kahles on it. (A little heavier but I got a great deal on it 20 years ago).

Any of the rifles you chose are good. Or get a used 700 Rem, rebarrel it and restock it with lightweight stuff. That's what I did with my 700LH. Howa has a carbon light that is at 6.75 lbs in 30-06, too. Enjoy.

WKR
Buy one of these. Alternate hand carrying with letting it ride on your waist belt while using trekking poles. Shoot a big elk and carry out 80 pound loads without worrying about rifle stuff. And if it helps keep your wife happy, its well worth it. My favorite rifle is 9 pounds and a few ounces. Use what you have.

As you are training and preparing for your hunt, carry your current rifle around and see what you think at the end of the day. Maybe the extra weight doesn’t bother you.

For me, after three or four days of carrying my rifle, I am looking for something lighter.

Seeknelk

WKR
Get a kifaru gun bearer or Montana creative Slik sling to make carrying rifle you have a lot more enjoyable and still quick to access. I used the gun bearer for years but.am using the Slik sling now and prefer it. It's only about $20 if I recall.
And I second the notion that an ultralight stock may save some weight but make it barrel heavy, I had a barrel heavy rifle for a couple years, I didn't like it...3b bartlein on a savage in a McMillan carbon stock is awkward while tracking or stalking I found. Try what you have for a season, shoot a ton before you go and have fun.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
You are likely to get page after page of posts with guys saying use what you got or others telling you to go after the lightest option out there.

Here is what I would consider first off. Is this hunt going to be a one & done with no more trips out west? If so I am in the "shoot what you got" camp. If you plan on going back then consider a lighter rifle. You may find you don't really need one any lighter though if you take your current rifle and see how it works for you.. There are loads of elk killed within a mile or 2 of the trailhead and some killed only a few hundred yards in. I would not sweat a 2-3 lb differences in these cases.

As a flat-lander you will likely find breathing & functioning normal a challenge initially if you are higher altitude in Mt. Weight matters but it is not the top concern for a rifle as much as your overall pack weight is going to be more relevant. As others have pointed out when you reduce rifle weight you increase recoil and your accuracy can suffer-especially if the increased recoil causes flinching and it is very likely going to.

Lastly no matter what sage advice you receive-if you want a new rifle just because then go for it and enjoy. Just be honest with yourself about the why you are getting a new rifle and know their will be a learning curve to address.

EMAZ

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in the run what you have if you are staying .30-06. If you plan to hunt out West as a regular occurrence, you might consider a shooting a different caliber for potential longer distance shots. The .30-06 has plenty of power out and not too much drop to about 400yards. There are better, flatter shooting calibers (drop less; drift less) with similar or less recoil that are better for distance than the .30-06; staying similar, the .280ai, 7rem mag, or newer 7 PRC are all flatter shooting and carry energy further. If I were investing in a new setup, I’d go that route versus another lighter .30-06.

This isn’t to say you need to go get a different caliber rifle; I’ve killed several big game (elk, large TX pigs, Oryx) all out to 300 yards with my .30-06…and more deer & elk have dropped with .270 & .30-06’s in the U.S. than any other caliber. For decades, the guys I’ve hunted with there has always been a mix of .270, .30-06, and 7RM in our camp.

Last edited: