Hunting scenario, what’s the best way to close the final 50 yards?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
When you say "rut fest", you don't need to make a sound. They can get pretty crazy, and bulls will generally be running everywhere. Shooting the biggest herd bull there may not be the highest percentage option, but there will be other options as well. And depending on where you're hunting, those other options can be some dandy bulls as well.

In 2015 I found a rut fest and there were at least 1/2 dozen bulls running everywhere around the herd as the herd bull constantly chased them. I was trying to get to the herd bull and ended up running right past about a 320" bull that was literally 15 yards to my left as I ran by. I had tunnel vision on the bigger bull, and wouldn't have even known that bull was there if he hadn't busted when I ran by. That commotion pretty much ended my chance at the bigger bull as well. You need eyes even in the back of your head when those satellites are moving everywhere, and don't get stuck on tunnel vision.

Wrench

WKR
^^exactly. Contact to locate. The satellites will maintain contact for you to keep him pinned.

If you do blow them up, get on your bugle RIGHT NOW. You're trying to shift the reason for them hauling ass from a human to a big bull. Things happen quick so don't be dicking around with your range finder or sights....it's time to party.

waitforit

Lil-Rokslider
Two ways, I think..

Sneak your way to him, hoping to get into his area undetected as he is running around and distracted. Pretty tough to do with all the eyes and ears of the cows. If the cows bust you (and the bull hasn't seen you), you better be prepared to immediately throw a lip bawl or aggressive bugle.

Probably better, since there are elk literally in your way...bugle your way right to him. The cows will move out of the way and the satellites will steer clear allowing you to advance. I think elknut talks about this in a few of his interviews.

Still better may be to work a satellite instead. Depends on your goals!

OP
lyingflatlander

lyingflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys! Was an actual scenario that happened a couple years ago. I was able to sneak in and only bump a small raghorn on the way in. There was at least 5 other bulls below me with the thermals coming up. I went with a modified slow play, cow calling, raking, grunting and panting. That’s when he moved the herd out. Today I would sneak up to the crest of the hill and make a visual. Just curious to how others would of handled it as I replay the scenario in my head.