Hunting scenario, what’s the best way to close the final 50 yards?

lyingflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
So you happen upon a rut fest and are lucky enough to have the whole thing to yourself. You do the right thing by gaining 1,000 feet of elevation to cross the back bowl of a canyon to get to the side the elk are on. The canyon is fully timbered, it’s mid afternoon and your thermals are moving up. You drop diagonally down the mountain to come in slightly above their level. As you take your time working into the herd bulls bugles, you notice a couple cows on a finger ridge 50 yards away and slightly higher in elevation working their way down. Within a minute they walk down on your level and disappear to just on the other side of the ridge (a very short distance). The herd bull screams from the opposite side of the finger ridge and you know he is right there! There is some cover, but you also have the top of the ridge 50 yards away to work with. Do you chance a swirling thermal and work to the top of the ridge? Do you set up right there and try to call the bull in? What is the first sound that leaves your mouth to call in the bull?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mid afternoon gambling thermals stay upward, stay slightly higher than their line and move in. My success on bugling 99% is from starting an engagement from some distance away 1/2 to a mile typically and moving in. My history over decades is not great never having called with the bull and then giving him a first call when in close. I would move in not tipping your hand to see if he comes your way not making a sound. Once this option does not work start with mews. Nothing I’m then raking like a bull came in silent and break some brush, couple of mews and quick bugle. Game on🤙

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
As an overarching generalization, once you learn how to hunt elk, being aggressive when you are already in very close proximity will serve you better and convert more often than being timid and waiting for the perfect time to make a move. I'm not saying be cavalier and uncalculating. But, if you evaluate the situation as a coin flip, you should go for it. There are too many factors in your post and too many unknowns to make exact recommendations.

I will say, if I was going to set up to call in your situation it would 100% be a bull sound of some sort. Whether a "challenge" bugle, "harem call", "bull calling cows" bugle, whatever you think will work best based on the herd dynamics and their mood at the time. In the situation you depicted, I would absolutely NOT use a cow call. There are a slew of reasons why....but that's worthy of it's own thread. I never use cow calls on herd bulls with cows, ever. It's significantly more productive.

I go over to where the cows walked by, don't say a peep to blow the entire deal and keep my bow ready to draw and draw when I see antler tips....

Hes got 360 degrees to go. Maybe he will come my way this time. Thats what I always tell myself....lol

I certainly don't blow a cow call when I am in close. EVER.

prm

WKR
When thinking about this, it occurred to me nearly every regret I have in elk hunting execution (i.e. failure) involves patience, and most success involves being more aggressive.

edit: I have had great luck with very short, quiet cow calls when getting in close. Hang out in the woods with a herd and you’ll hear them all talking. Lots of ways to make this work.

Last edited:

TaperPin

WKR
The image I have is the bull is really close and occupied on what’s away from you, not behind you. Walk up to the ridge slow enough to see elk before they see you, only move over the ridge when everyone is focused away from you, and shoot him before he leaves. Had he been receptive to your bugling, this question wouldn’t be asked, and don’t think your bugling will improve just because you’re closer. He’s already right there and you have cover to close the distance, just kill him.

LostArra

WKR
you notice a couple cows on a finger ridge 50 yards away and slightly higher in elevation working their way down. Within a minute they walk down on your level and disappear to just on the other side of the ridge (a very short distance).
From my experience one of these two cows or an unseen third cow will be the most likely to bust you and save the bull's life.

If he’s within 150 yards throw and advertising sequence out there and go all out, especially if those cows came into him will show another bull followed cows into his territory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
Call….call…and more calling.

Challenge bugle when you are in close has them charging in on you…..is what many of the supposed experts say.

garrett24

FNG
So you happen upon a rut fest and are lucky enough to have the whole thing to yourself. You do the right thing by gaining 1,000 feet of elevation to cross the back bowl of a canyon to get to the side the elk are on. The canyon is fully timbered, it’s mid afternoon and your thermals are moving up. You drop diagonally down the mountain to come in slightly above their level. As you take your time working into the herd bulls bugles, you notice a couple cows on a finger ridge 50 yards away and slightly higher in elevation working their way down. Within a minute they walk down on your level and disappear to just on the other side of the ridge (a very short distance). The herd bull screams from the opposite side of the finger ridge and you know he is right there! There is some cover, but you also have the top of the ridge 50 yards away to work with. Do you chance a swirling thermal and work to the top of the ridge? Do you set up right there and try to call the bull in? What is the first sound that leaves your mouth to call in the bull?
If you are in a "rut fest" assuming there are other bulls screaming as well your biggest concern in my opinion is the cows, I would one assume especially during archery season its warmer and lighter longer meaning your winds are going to be blowing up hill longer and you have a low risk of a thermal change (at least in oregon) with that being all the case I would try to get as close as possible to the bull on the same level keeping track of the cows, calling bulls from above them has never worked very well for me think about it a bull is going to be hesitant to want to have downhill advantage and charge up to a bull above it, so ultimately move in as close as possible on the same vertical level and then blow a bugle preferebaly in the same cadence as the bull bugling but not too overpowering if needed to be able to get a shot. If you can sneak in without needing to bugle then that much better as the bull won't even be aware you are there

Maverick1

WKR
I would highly suggest slipping on some creepers and moving in for the shot opportunity! :)

Even though you’re close, it’s a low percentage kill. There are going to be so many animals near that bull - hence the reason he keeps screaming. So, with that in mind, get aggressive and leave it on the table. Sneak over to the ridge, maybe up in elevation while you go - don’t make a peep - have your bow ready to draw - decide if you’re willing to draw on a satellite - and do the best you can. Wind shouldn’t be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hnthrdr

WKR
With a ridgeline between him and I and cows that passed that way. I will use the ridgeline to my advantage. Going to get set knock an arrow and calf call (least threatening to other cows definitely can get the bulls attention, If he is hot he will have to come to the crest to look and see me, and that is where he is going to get stuck.

Deadfall

WKR
Depends on what he's actually up to. Why is he screaming? Is he displaying for a cow that is in heat, pissed off at other bulls harassing him. Does he want to go somewhere the cows do not? Is he just feeling his oates? What are the other bulls doing?

Assuming there is a cow that is in season, best bet is to back out several hundred yards and work the cows. Or just be a few cows coming to the party. Give the present elk a bit of time to register there are some new elk around. The elk already know everybody at the party. By sneaking in under the 100-yard mark then making noise, bumps them. Without some kind of prewarning, raking a tree out of the blue is a big alarm that something isn't right, when in that 100 yard or closer range. Which is why they only went half mile. If they had of been spooked, they would still be running.

Everything in nature has a Rythm and rhyme to it.

By backing out a few hundred yards then do some cow calling. Be your own little band of cows. Maybe 2 cows and a calf. Something like that. Thats not intimidating to anything. At a few hundred yards the elk will hear. Then when you start moving back in, they will start getting curious. The bull in particular. During the rut when it's on, every elk in country knows the odds of a little band of cows chugging around without a bull is really slim. So later on, if you need to challenge you can do so without scaring the hair off them. Depending on how you challenge!

When investigating elk want 2 things. The high ground and the wind. So, plan your approach accordingly. Crosswind is your friend.

Since he has cows, don't try to call him away from cows, try calling cows to you. Seems like bad idea its very effective. Typically, a younger elk whether spike or calf will come investigate make sure everything is as it sounds. Being at 5 or 600 yards when starting this is better. After closing back in to 400 ish yards then be quiet for a while see if anyone shows up. When moving in this calling stuff should be started from below their elevation. Moving up as you go. After your last calling set move immediately up in elevation to where you are above. Hopefully at a knob or high point that allows elk to look down on the last calling spot.

If no one wants to play yet. You have now set the stage and let everyone know there are some other elk in area. Now you can move in tight and get with it.

Sounds like this is somewhere between 9 and 11 am. In the peak of things even if the bulls are screaming their heads off the cows will not want to move more than a couple hundred yards. Will likely take turns relaxing a bit.

Now if several cows are in actual heat. The bulls are breeding like crazy or trying to. This is entirely different deal. Since you have snuck in tight initially, wait for bull to move around to where he is more between you and cows then the cows being between you and him. Then Charge them full steam ahead. Cow call as you go. As long as they are in timber. Have arrow knocked and everything ready to go. You'll get to about 40 yards. they won't stand there all day, but the sudden movement speed and sound buys you necessary few seconds needed to stop, quick breath as you draw aim and fire. Don't be wearing a pack or anything. light as possible!

If the rut been raging all night and it's mid-morning, they are going to want a break at some point. if in the middle of maneuvering around they start getting quiet then hold up and wait for afternoon. Like 1 or 2. Then start back into firing them up. Sequence type and tones of calls are immensely important if that's the route you want to go. If they do not quiet down, then it is a purely run and gun game.

Always better to mess up doing something then to mess up doing nothing!

Also keep in mind, sometimes if the cows have been harassed for a long period of time by pesky adrenaline filled bulls, they become moody. Which means that sometimes when you sneak in close and then rake a tree or make other elk type sounds the cows say holy christ we outta here and move off. The bull in charge at that time goes nuts because he doesn't want to leave.

Just keep in mind elk leaving are not always because it's the bulls choice.

All this to say it is beyond important to understand what and why elk say and do what they do. Otherwise, you just taking a crap in the dark hoping you hit the toilet.

there are about 500 other options that could work depending on what is actually happening on scene at that particular moment.

Some other factors to consider.
Age class of bull that is with the cows. Age class of satellites. Number of elk in group. weather, location geographically (guessing this scenario is playing out about half or 2/3 way up a mountain on either a north or east facing slope). Time of day. Location of other satellites. Are cows doing any talking, just bulls. just one bull? Several bulls?

Recon that's enough from this tongue chewing window licker

Wrench

WKR
I would make contact well before I am on top of him to let him know I'm in the hunt....then I am stealth mode.

I'm gunshy as hell with afternoon winds so if it is in my favor it's time to dance.

I'd lose everything I don't need or that might make an offensive sound and make my way to the bull.

If I bounce a couple of cows on the way to a tending bull I'm about 10% worried. I maintain the mission and close the gap as much as I can.....quietly.

If I get multiple cows watching me and the bull sees their body language, I rip a bugle and press hard.

I'm not likely to pull a bull off a hot cow and a bull is likely to defend his cow....so I play his weakness.

If he's not tending a hot cow....I'd work on a breeding sequence and hope to get him horned up.