Lighter 30-06 for the mountains?

Mrwigelow

FNG
Kimber Mountain Ascent 30-06. Leupold 4.5x14 cds scope. Very lightweight to carry. The target depicts 3 shots with the brake and 3 without.
I’ve been very happy with it.
It is a thumper without the brake but not totally uncomfortable.
What grain bullet you using? I have the same rifle and love it!

gerry35

WKR
I appreciate all the commentary, very helpful. My biggest concern with the existing setup is more about the balance than the weight. again, it shoots great out to distance I'm comfortable with but very top heavy. Sticking with the current setup for now and will continue to spend time with it at the range. but...

Picked up a wthby mark v hunter (one of the few that comes in .06) for a really good deal. Peak 44 stock ordered and will swap it out. Optics leaning SWFA 6x42 or NF NXS 2.5x10 Been down the Rokslide scope rabbit hole and want to give these a try, when they become avail/in stock. Should be 7.5-8lb fully decked out. I'll leave it to the range to tell me which one makes more sense, although I'll have a plane ticket for both.

And yes, like a lot of you guys, I like shiny new toys.
Weatherby makes a really nice rifle, I'm sure you will love yours. With that Peak 44 stock it will end up even lighter.

jimh406

WKR
I agree with keep it as is for this year because you have a very good setup. Personally, I'd use the money for other gear I might need including better boots, pack, etc.

Light rifles don't have to be inaccurate, but I think most people will feel there is a tradeoff in aiming by going light. Breathing hard from the mountains won't make it easier to keep the crosshairs steady with a light rifle.

Just for frame of reference since you mentioned two that I have, my Savage Ultralite 300 WSM is 8 lbs with a Leupold 3-15 5HD Firedot, EGW picatinny rail and rings without suppressor. My Model 70 in 300 WBY in McMillan stock with Leupold 3.5-10 VXIII with Weaver rings and bases is 9 lbs in comparison.

You'll likely be carrying more equipment than normal. Depending on how you carry the rifle, you'll likely not notice a lb or two. If you attach the rifle to a 10-15 lb pack while carrying, you'll likely appreciate the accurate rifle when you take the shot.

mitchellmountain

Lil-Rokslider
I have a kimber Montana in 30-06 that shoots 165's a little over 3000fps into nice sun MOA groups. Awesome gun to carry and is really a nice do anything anywhere rifle. But....it is a handful to shoot, took me 3-4 range sessions to really get the hang of shooting it well. A rifle a pound or even 2 pounds heavier is much easier to shoot accurately, I have found.

Jimss

WKR
I have a Sako Finnlight 300 WSM that hardly kicks that I use for all big game in Colo and Wyo. I looked up the weight and it's around 6.2 lbs without a scope.