Lighter 30-06 for the mountains?

Take what you have. Especially if you are confident in it.
I think 9-10 lb is the best shooter weight.

Not saying you fat but if you peel 3 lbs off your body you'd be better off.

I would take a look at the weatherby vanguard talon. Has a 24” spiral fluted barrel that is threaded and comes with muzzle break, and a peak 44 carbon fiber stock. Fully loaded with a Vx5hd on top, it weighs less than 8 lbs. Got one recently and really like it.

tater

WKR
I have a Kimber Hunter in 30-06 that has been lightened up.

A touch stiff recoil wise with my max load 190 ABLR's, but it is light and kills stuff very dead.

Cut a pound or two somewhere else, get in better shape and dont worry about it. Spend more time shooting it and less time worrying about the weight of the rifle.
Now if you are just looking to spend money on new things have at it

Weight is weight - great advice above. You’re comfortable with your rifle setup as it is and that’s the only part a carry that kills the elk… that’s no small thing

I have 7 pound Winchester 70 in ‘06 , Featherweight model , 20” barrel - lite yes , accurate yes but kicks like a mule - 180s are brutal

Find the weight elsewhere, buy practice ammo and shoot field expedient positions with what you have

KenLee

WKR
if the 06 is indeed 22", then it shouldn't be any disappoint at all- .308 with 22" barrel is 5# 7 oz

https://www.kimberamerica.com/hunter

that's exactly what my 22" .308 Hunter weighed from the factory
The ad says around 5 pounds.
The 2 guys I know who bought 84L in 30-06 say the bare rifle was over 6 pounds. Pretty sure the 06 L barrels are 24 inches.
I've never weighed one myself.

Last edited:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
ad says "Kimber 84L Hunter 30-06 Springfield Bolt-Action Rifle with FDE Stock. Weighing in at approximately 5.5 pounds"

5.5 # = 5# 8 oz

84L should be 24" AND wood stock- Kimber says 6# 2 oz- so that jives with what the guys you know say

I'm guess with the Hunter stock and 22" barrel, it's going to be very, very close to 5.5 #

OP
sjwfarms

sjwfarms

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate all the commentary, very helpful. My biggest concern with the existing setup is more about the balance than the weight. again, it shoots great out to distance I'm comfortable with but very top heavy. Sticking with the current setup for now and will continue to spend time with it at the range. but...

Picked up a wthby mark v hunter (one of the few that comes in .06) for a really good deal. Peak 44 stock ordered and will swap it out. Optics leaning SWFA 6x42 or NF NXS 2.5x10 Been down the Rokslide scope rabbit hole and want to give these a try, when they become avail/in stock. Should be 7.5-8lb fully decked out. I'll leave it to the range to tell me which one makes more sense, although I'll have a plane ticket for both.

And yes, like a lot of you guys, I like shiny new toys.

Fishmaster196

Lil-Rokslider
Kimber Mountain Ascent 30-06. Leupold 4.5x14 cds scope. Very lightweight to carry. The target depicts 3 shots with the brake and 3 without.
I’ve been very happy with it.
It is a thumper without the brake but not totally uncomfortable.

Attachments

• 860DB1DE-C9C7-42D0-A542-6643E81DA7B8.jpeg
    860DB1DE-C9C7-42D0-A542-6643E81DA7B8.jpeg
    582.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 9C2C7EF9-7043-49EF-88C1-B77FB20ACE9B.jpeg
    9C2C7EF9-7043-49EF-88C1-B77FB20ACE9B.jpeg
    301.8 KB · Views: 40
I carry what I shoot best and what I am more comfortable with having in my hands when hunting.

WesternMDShooter

Lil-Rokslider
I Carried a 10lb gun in Montana. I am from back east where you hike in and step up and don’t move much the rest of the day. Needless to say I will not be taking a 10lb gun back as you’ll carry it more than you shoot it. Hope this helps.

harge57

Lil-Rokslider
I carried a heavy .30-06 the first year I went. First thing I did after that trip was build a lighter rifle. I went with a kimber subalpine with a lightweight swaro z3 scope. Makes a huge difference.

Some are saying to find the 3 lbs elsewhere or lose 3 lbs. I will just say this, 3 lbs in your pack is very different than 3 lbs on your rifle.

schmalzy

WKR
Very pleased with my Montana in 30-06. Sub 6 pounds bare, swapped bolt handle to get a little extra. I put kimbers proprietary brake on it (same as the mountain ascent) and it makes it extremely comfortable to shoot. It is not excessively loud (not much different than other rifles in all honesty) and really tames it. Trigger on it is fantastic.

For the life of me I can’t understand why kimber stopped production. The recent production Montanas are awesome rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oilfieldmiller

Lil-Rokslider
Really depends on the type of hunting you do. Unless your going deep into backcountry or doing serious terrain then the weight may not be as big a factor. Using a rifle your comfortable with, shoot well, and getting a first hunt under your belt may be the best tactic. The 2k can easily go to other gear that can “lighten the load”.

I’m also a big fan of the ‘06 and use a VX5 HD 3-15 and it’s a great scope for out west.

All this being said, I never turn down a good reason to buy another gun;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that lighter is better but it’s a hard goal to make -any rifle that’s all in … Rifle, optic, rings, sling ammo bipod if desired, and 9 pounds ish is really

2 Montanas, a Classic Select and a handful of Ruger 77RLs have spoiled me for anything over 7#, anymore. They're a joy to carry all day, on the flat as well as the mountains, and handle well for quick short shots.

A word of caution if you do intend to go ultra light and shoot at any kind of distance....practice shooting (a lot) from a solid field rest, whether it be your pack, stix or one of those tripod/rest contraptions.

I have packed rifles for a lot of years. I think 8-9 lbs is acceptable or has been for me. I have really focused more intently on fit than on weight. When you pick it up, it should be part of you.