Lighter 30-06 for the mountains?

sjwfarms

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a flatlander new to western hunting. I'll be heading out to MT for rifle elk for first time this year. Here's my dilemma, my current setup (Or am I supposed to say rig?) that I plan to take is a Savage high country 30-06 with a Leup vx-hd5 3x15. Barnes 168g. Rifle fully loaded weighs 10lb4oz. Rifle is shooter out to the ranges I'm comfortable with ~500-600yds. I have several other rifles in the same chambering but they just get heavier. This has never been an issue as I primarily hunt south/midwest whitetail and I'm not hiking hills at altitude in those places. Honestly, I never would have worried about that weight until I started reading these forums, thanks guys...

question to you guys is two fold. 1) is this too much weight? and 2)if so, recs on lighter options? I know there are a ton of other options out there that are great, but for this hunt I'm sticking with 30-06 as my only choice (lifetime of rounds in the caliber both factory and hand loads) and I just like what it can do.

Easy first option, go to smaller scope 3x10 or so and shave 6 oz. Now, I'm under 10lbs. Good enough?

Lighter options I'm looking at, again all in 30-06:
Kimber Mountain Ascent-probably my first choice
Other Kimber-harder to find in 30-06
tikka t3 lite
Win M70 EWSS
Savage UL
Other??

Would welcome your thoughts if experience with any of the above, especially the Kimber.

Budget for rifle only around $2K, less is always better. Will go with smaller/lighter 3x10 or so scope.

Thanks to all, you guys have been a world of help to this point.

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
Just take what you have and are comfortable with. I spend a lot of time hunting the backcountry, and I still take my old Browning BBR in 30/06 as I shoot it alot better than my Kimber. Its heavy, but I am way more comfortable with it.

sndmn11

WKR
Pull the stock off and weigh it. That's where I would start if I had a rifle/bullet combo that is happy.

There are also "better" routes with the scope, but that is a big rabbit hole and takes a person who is willing to accept some things that they might not have been taught in the past.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can get the Kimber Hunter for half the price of the Ascent, same action. Remove the gel out of the Hunter stock (a couple of threads floating around on how to do it) and you can get a 5lb rifle for not a lot of $.

Definitely consider a smaller/lighter scope as well- with the right scope/mounts you can be at an even (or under) 6 lbs :)

zKIzSrQ.jpg

OP
sjwfarms

sjwfarms

Lil-Rokslider
Just take what you have and are comfortable with. I spend a lot of time hunting the backcountry, and I still take my old Browning BBR in 30/06 as I shoot it alot better than my Kimber. Its heavy, but I am way more comfortable with it.
Thanks for the response, very helpful. That's definitely what my wife wants to hear.😅 It's honestly the easiest and probably best option as it shoots great and it will be going with me. If it truly gets too heavy I wouldn't mind having a backup at the ready for the multiple days. (Will be covering a lot miles in tough terrain but won't be packing in overnight so option to switch out on days).

Fogalo

Lil-Rokslider
Real question you should consider is, are you comfortable shooting a really lightweight rifle? I shoot a kimber montana in 300 wm, no brake. It took a few boxes to get comfortable with it. Consider kimbers are notorious for their barrels heating up quickly during practice causing stringing. I don’t shoot more than 3 round groups. That being said - after learning all of that, if I had to make a shot within 500 yards that’s the rifle I’d grab.

OP
sjwfarms

sjwfarms

Lil-Rokslider
Pull the stock off and weigh it. That's where I would start if I had a rifle/bullet combo that is happy.

There are also "better" routes with the scope, but that is a big rabbit hole and takes a person who is willing to accept some things that they might not have been taught in the past.
Thanks, I will take you advice on the stock and see where it gets me.

I fully understand what you're saying on the scope. By this I mean, I know what I don't know, and that's a lot. Being as this is a whole new world to me, I'm taking it slowly, one rabbit hole at a time.

OP
sjwfarms

sjwfarms

Lil-Rokslider
You can get the Kimber Hunter for half the price of the Ascent, same action. Remove the gel out of the Hunter stock (a couple of threads floating around on how to do it) and you can get a 5lb rifle for not a lot of $.

Definitely consider a smaller/lighter scope as well- with the right scope/mounts you can be at an even (or under) 6 lbs :)

zKIzSrQ.jpg
thanks, that looks like an awesome setup! I would welcome this as as paying almost twice as much for a camo pattern on the ascent doesn't mean anything to me. Looks like Kimber is now only making the hunter in the short action. I'll certainly be on the lookout at GB and other sites for old stock or used in 30-06....Thanks to Fogalo comments as well. Good to know the accuracy is there, just not something to shoot all day at the range given the light barrel and extra recoil.

Stick with what you have for a season and decide after using it if you want something else for future hunts. I would stick with that scope. Problem is, is that savage high country has a heavier barrel if I'm not mistaken, so it's naturally heavy because of that. a different scope and stock could possibly save weight but I think it'd be marginal.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

OP
sjwfarms

sjwfarms

Lil-Rokslider
Stick with what you have for a season and decide after using it if you want something else for future hunts. I would stick with that scope. Problem is, is that savage high country has a heavier barrel if I'm not mistaken, so it's naturally heavy because of that. a different scope and stock could possibly save weight but I think it'd be marginal.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
thanks. you're exactly right on the barrel issue. Very top heavy, lighter stock may even make it feel more so even if there's a little bit of weight save...It actually makes it a bit more cumbersome to carry as the barrel naturally falls back more when shouldered than a more balanced rifle. more to think about.

sndmn11

WKR
Thanks, I will take you advice on the stock and see where it gets me.

I fully understand what you're saying on the scope. By this I mean, I know what I don't know, and that's a lot. Being as this is a whole new world to me, I'm taking it slowly, one rabbit hole at a time.
I just looked that rifle up, and I think a whole lot of the 8lbs is in the barrel and there isn't a lot to save in the stock.

Drenalin

WKR
Based on the last .30-06 I had, I wouldn't want one any less than 8.5 pounds and would prefer it be over 9 pounds. If I were taking an 06, and already had one as you describe, I'd just use that. If I were looking for a reason to buy a new rifle, and wanted something lighter weight, I'd be looking at low recoiling short actions.

NickyD

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re successful and need to pack an elk out, that 2-3 pounds savings is going to be insignificant. If you think 2-3 pounds is going to make or break your trip, you have a lot of work set out for you! Sounds like you’re already comfortable with what you have so stick with that. Save that 2k for another elk hunt

OP
sjwfarms

sjwfarms

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the replies. Not going to sweat a pound or two for this hunt. Rifle shoots great, so I'll go with it. Just won't read any more of the threads about ultra light rifles between now and then. Although I will be on the lookout for that Kimber hunter that mtwarden mentioned, just because...

NickyD

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the replies. Not going to sweat a pound or two for this hunt. Rifle shoots great, so I'll go with it. Just won't read any more of the threads about ultra light rifles between now and then. Although I will be on the lookout for that Kimber hunter that mtwarden mentioned, just because...

Ultralight is just a phase everyone goes through!

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
I think you are on the right track. Like mtwarden, I have a Kimber Hunter for my light rifle, in 7-08. Like I said though, I still shoot better with my Browning, so it ends up being with me 90% of the time.