What water purification/filtration are you using for mountain hunting?

What do you use for purification/filtration in the mountains?

• Total voters

AndyB

WKR
Sawyer squeeze (point 1) and quick fill adapter.
Used the tap connector pipe to gravity fill between 2 3 gallon collapsible containers at base camp also.
Had tabs as backup. Only water filter I have used.
Like not having to take my bladder out of my pack.

dotman

WKR
Sawyer squeeze with quick connects and inline adaters so that I can fill my bladder without removing and also filter camp water. I have the msr 2L which is always in my pack and then just fill my 10L & 6L with dirty water and filter as needed.

The Sawyer is always in my pack with a 1L squeeze bag to fill my bladder while out if needed.

There is a thread with how I setup my filter to be a gravity feed filter, had it side by side with the Kat gravity filter in ID and it smoked the Kat, the Kat also plugged up quick from the dirty water and the Sawyer never slowed. Just remember to prime the filter of all air and it will flow nicely.

Last edited:
In Co were I elk hunt streams are pretty clear so just have been going with pills. I do have a Katadyn pump, just haven't used it yet.

Hiker pro and tablets as emergency backup. Been using this for about 6-7 yrs. used the sawyer squeeze this year on three trips. Works real slick as well. Only issue is that if you only have small water source you need to use cup to scoop up water where the the hiker pro you just put the bulb in the small water source. Found this out in first trip so had to bring light weight cup on the following trips. I think both work fine!

Shrek

WKR
I used the sawyer inline on a platypus 3L big zip dirty a` la the Moffits. Worked great until it got really cold. Then the tube and mouthpiece wanted to freeze. I put it under my vest to hold it to my body and that got me through but going to a clean bottle for cold weather . 10L dromedary dirty for camp . I will have to pickup a steripen for the bottle to try. Pills are in the bag as backup.
Didn't vote because I didn't see sawyer inline as a choice. Squaze squeeze ?

T43

Lil-Rokslider
I use the sawyer squeeze and keep a few tablets in my bag for backup. I may have to buy some extra hardware after reading what some are doing with this filter.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I clicked gravity since our Sawyer inlines are used as gravity filters when need to fill into another vessel to hold water. However, most of the time I dip and drink as I go. I don't have the patience to pump or fiddle around with different fittings and squeezing or any of that nonsense. I just want to fill up with 3 more liters of water and go. For me its the faster/easiest method after years of using a MSR and Katadyn pumps I likely won't be going back to that anytime soon.

mtmiller

WKR
I probably have the ability to dip and go in a few places I go, but I always try to play it safe and pump. This summer, while in 680, I didn't have the luxury. This is after filter. Taste was good.....color....questionable. I am still using my antiquated PUR Hiker.

MattB

WKR
Here in CA I use my Katadyn/Pur hiker (I like to drink my fill at the source), but when in Canada I have gone untreated more than not.

One thing that is nice with the Big Zips is they can be used to gather water from some sources you couldn't with other vessel types. This past fall we got stuck out overnight and the only water available was a teeny trickle down a rock face. If I had a vessel with a screw top configuration I would have been....screwed, but I was able to press the big zip mouth up against the rock and collect water. You could use a zip lock for that in a pinch.

Archelk

Lil-Rokslider
I use a seychelle in line filter that is connected to my water bladder. Just dip the bladder in water and go. As you suck on the valve the water passes throught the filter and Bam clean refreshing tasting water. I also use a seychelle filter that is made specifically for my water bottle that I carry on my waist for easy access when I know that I may be away from a water source in conjuction with my bladder. Again just dip the bottle in the water source and go. I have used this filter in some of the most tepid water imaginable and the taste that came out after going throught the filter was amazing. The filter has performed flawlessy for the last 7 years.

Archelk

Lil-Rokslider
Forgot to mention they also make filtered straws. I have a couple. Very light weight. Just stick the straw in the water source and start drinking.

AitchAr

FNG
MSR HyperFlow with pills as a back up. The Hyperflow attaches directly to my DromLite bags. The only issue I have with the filter is the back flush sequence. Not hard to do, just more of an annoyance.