What water purification/filtration are you using for mountain hunting?

What do you use for purification/filtration in the mountains?

• Total voters

Lawnboi

WKR
Pills are ALWAYS with me, wether im bringing a filter or not. Everyone should have them in somewhere in their pack, they weigh nothing, and will save your trip if your filter breaks, like mine once did. Its not fun boiling all your water either!

If I know im going to be drinking crap water, ill bring a filter. Iv resorted back to using the katadyn hiker, even though iv managed to break 2 of them. Katadyn is good to work with, sent me replacements no questions asked.

MSR hyperflow microfilter
MSR DROMEDARY 10 liter hydration bag
SOURCE 100 oz vagabond system pack bladder
potable aqua water purafication tabs

the hyperflow pumps 3 liters per minute weighs 7.4 oz, it has an attachment to directly pump into your h20 bladder from your pack and as well to the hydro bag. when i arrive to my camp area one of the first things i do is fill my 10 liter bag from the nearest water source, usually lasts 2 days for just me, i as well refill by pack bladder at the same time, then fill as needed during time in location. i always use potable tabs with my pumped water to have the most consistant purification and or reliable hydration.i have used this system for 2 1/2 years and have no need to change anything. i also bring 1 1.0 liter platapus flexible bottle for energy powder drinks to be carried in, this allows me to have energy drinks or fresh water whenever needed. i will say the 10 liter hydration bag weighs 10 oz but to me its worth it, it rolls up tight as well as the platapus flex bottle. this is just a system that works for me and its been reliable for my outings.

Last edited:

chindits

WKR
Aqua mira drops. No after taste like pills. No pumping. No freeze issues. I usually carry 1-2 L of water, less is best since water is just weight and it is everywhere in these mountains. I haven't died yet waiting the 20-30 minutes for the chemicals to run their course. The water sources up here are pretty clean already unless there are some abadoned mines around. I use to pump, but I find it just an aggravating exercise.

In over 30 years of hunting and backpacking I've never used pills or filters. Until 2010 when I received my first computer and started reading online hunting and packing forums I really never gave it any thought. They are probably a good idea but you still won't find one in my pack.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have all the listed types, and I have gone through several Katadyns since they said PUR on the side.

I don't like pumping.

I really like the convenience of filling a big zip platypus and using the Sawyer in the early season when water isn't everywhere. When water is prevalent, the Steripen is still just about the easiest method for me, and I end up carrying less water and treating as needed. Water is heavy.

O'Really

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry, but I left that option out.

Alrighty, I guess me and Mad Mountain Mike will have to hold down the Superhuman category...

Obviously the internet needs a sarcasm button, but in all seriousness, some of us don't and will never use any method of water treatment in the backcountry. I can most certainly understand the usefulness of a filter in certain places, but for me and my hunting, a filter would just be unneeded weight.

dotman

WKR
Alrighty, I guess me and Mad Mountain Mike will have to hold down the Superhuman category...

Obviously the internet needs a sarcasm button, but in all seriousness, some of us don't and will never use any method of water treatment in the backcountry. I can most certainly understand the usefulness of a filter in certain places, but for me and my hunting, a filter would just be unneeded weight.

Oh just wait till you get beaver fever.

Colo4x4XJ

Lil-Rokslider
Platy Gravityworks 4L. Swapped the 4L clean reservoir for a 2L and dropped two 1L platys into my pack for hydration. Then I got rid of the mesh bag Platypus uses for an UL tent stake stuff sack. This gives me the ability to have up to 8L on hand at any given time but only weighs 10.5 oz

aron

WKR
I use the sawyer squeeze attached to a Platypus big zip for dirty. Quick detach adapter on my clean camelbak reservoir so I don't have to remove that water bladder from the pack as it is a pain in the ass in my blue widow when the pack is full. I could run the squeeze inline but I like having the option of the additional 3l water back at camp instead of carrying a dromlite and not needing to take the bladder out of the pack to fill. Also works good to fill the dirty and use as gravity feed system when back at spike camp. I carry msr tabs as backup.