What water purification/filtration are you using for mountain hunting?

What do you use for purification/filtration in the mountains?

• Total voters

CO_Dave

FNG
I carry a Katadyn Hiker Pro or Base Camp depending on the trip and always have some Aquamira as backup. Conditions are mostly CO highcountry (~11k ft) in Sept.

THellURider

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone use a gravity system? I bought a Sawyer system earlier this year - anyone use one of those?

crumy

WKR
The guy I hunt with had one last year. It worked great for our situation. We had several "dirty" bags of water (non-filtered) and stored them at camp. Then just let gravity do its work while eating Seemed to work pretty good

THellURider

Lil-Rokslider
Cool! Glad to hear it - that was pretty much my thought. Any guesses on how long it took to filter say 2 liters?

Weekender

WKR
I have a 2L platypus gravity (which I'm sure is about the same as the sawyer) it filters fast maybe 2 minute of 2L? We have some streams to pull water from which was perfect and all 4 people ended up using my gravity system by the end of the trip. Bring a couple extra bags with shut off valves to have at camp is really nice.

crumy

WKR
It was very quick. Before filtering it seemed to do better if you let the dirty water settle first. Keeps stuff out of filter and it goes fast. If starting to slow probably need to backwash to clean.

scarboy11

Lil-Rokslider
I run a sawyer in-line water filter 3oz then a camp bag that I put "dirty" water in the use a gravity feed to go through filter and out comes clean water. My camp bag is a 3L bag but plan on switching to a msr. 10L really pleased with the sawyer filter thus far. I've filled it with some sketchy water, in streams wild boar run in so I stand behind it !

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
I tried the Sawyer Squeeze system but went back to my MSR MiniWorks. Nothing wrong with the Sawyer, but the MSR just seems to work a bit better.

bz_711

WKR
Sawyer mini - used on trip last week for first time - really like it. Used with large bladder hung in tree and let gravity filter, and also plugged in-line to camelback and just drank straight thru it. Takes up no space & minimal weight.

I have been debating between the hyperflow and the mini works ex...I've been leaning miniworks due to its fairly long track record. When did they introduce the hyperflow?

This is true I grew up drinking crap water in the hills and fishing. Drinking from streams and seeps. I've never been sick. I'm contemplating a filter for my wife and kids sake. I don't think there human systems are adapted to garbage water like mine lol...

I have the opportunity to purchase msr mini works ex, or the new hyper flow both for less than half the price of new. just curious which would be the better option. would love some feed back with pros cons etc. or which one you would choose between these two.

I ran the msr mini works for a while. Bomb proof pump just heavy and bulky. Another con is you have to pump by about the 3rd day out I'm super tired of pumping. Best part about that pump is it's completely field serviceable. If the Flow rate drops just take it apart and give the filter a little scrubbing.