What to do

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I listed my RV for sale on a popular online outfit. After five days I get a text asking if it's still for sale and am I willing to negotiate on the asking price, they asked various question one should ask when making this kind of purchase. After some back and forth He said he is willing to purchase the RV for asking price and wants my name and address so he can send check out. He said he would take care of transportation. Here is the problem I have, aside from I trust no body. He lives in Texas and I life in Southern Cal. Is he just fishing for info.? if were to send him requested info, name and address, would he have enough info on me to pull some kind of scam on me.? I find it hard to believe there are no similar RV's closer to him than So. Ca. One of my friends said if I were to send him my info he would then say he changed his mind and I would start getting all sorts of junk mail. I know which way I'm leaning, which is to blow off the offer. what would you do? Is there any way to see if this is for real or a scam?

grfox92

WKR
It's a scam. It starts with you harmlessly sending him basic info and then he drags it on until he can pull a fast one on you.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

DB29

Lil-Rokslider
It is possibly a set up for a check scam. He would send the check for more than the asking price. Maybe tell you it was for the transportation cost and ask you to pay it to a 3rd party. After you deposit the check and give the “extra” to the 3rd party the check you received will not clear.

CorbLand

WKR
It is possibly a set up for a check scam. He would send the check for more than the asking price. Maybe tell you it was for the transportation cost and ask you to pay it to a 3rd party. After you deposit the check and give the “extra” to the 3rd party the check you received will not clear.
This or he will have someone pick it up a day or so later then it doesn’t clear.

I listed my RV for sale on a popular online outfit. After five days I get a text asking if it's still for sale and am I willing to negotiate on the asking price, they asked various question one should ask when making this kind of purchase. After some back and forth He said he is willing to purchase the RV for asking price and wants my name and address so he can send check out. He said he would take care of transportation. Here is the problem I have, aside from I trust no body. He lives in Texas and I life in Southern Cal. Is he just fishing for info.? if were to send him requested info, name and address, would he have enough info on me to pull some kind of scam on me.? I find it hard to believe there are no similar RV's closer to him than So. Ca. One of my friends said if I were to send him my info he would then say he changed his mind and I would start getting all sorts of junk mail. I know which way I'm leaning, which is to blow off the offer. what would you do? Is there any way to see if this is for real or a scam?
Smells like a scam of some sort to me. Especially considering every texan I've ever seen that travels with and rv gets a new one every couple of years and there must be thousands of used ones floating around down there. Doesn't make any sense unless he travels there to visit family or is planning a trip and wants to pick it up and use it while he's there. I'd definitely get more info on him and even start some small talk conversations to feel him out a bit. Or forget it cause that could be to much effort and move on to a local buyer.

Take the check with the understanding that they can not take possession of the camper till the check clears. Have them send the money by money order.

I feel really old. I am giving advice on how to make purchases without electronically transferring money. Yes, I still pay bills with checks.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
Strange for sure, but some people that's how it works. I've seen cars get sold that way a few times. Someone from CA sent a certified check for 25k, and the next day a flatbed was picking up a 68 charger. Now is your camper collectable? Or get a wire transfer.