Josh Smith from Montana Knife Company

It's the least I could do for him, but if you clicked you already know.

Many of the current line of MKC knives never really horned me up too too much. Nice, but didn't scratch an itch. Then he designed the Stoned Goat. To me...THAT is the backpacking/hunting knife of knives. When they first dropped the 1.0 I counted down the days and was logged in and ready for the drop.

Many glitches occured. Struggled to check out. Added knives in and out of the cart. Logged in on a phone and laptop concurrently, etc. Was chaos. Ultimately I bought two by accident.

I messaged the company and his wife messaged me back super quick, deleted one order and continued to process the other. I eventually got my knife.

I messaged him after thanking him and inquired if he would make any Stoned Goats in MagnaCut. He said "We will see".

He ultimately did. And last night they dropped. I logged in 24 minutes early. Continued to refresh my screen. They dropped. I added one to my cart in less than a second.....and could not check out. I struggled for 11 minutes. Logging off. Logging on. Adding to carts. Removing from carts, etc.

Ultimately lost. All sold out. I was heated. Like a teenager, I bitched directly to him via Insta DM. Never swore. Never got real schitty. Just said it was frustrating.

He got back to me today. Appologized. Said the drop was bigger and more popular than he ever expected. Said he would watch for a canceled order. ANd he did.

Per his Insta he's enroute to Vega to watch UFC 300. Possibly somewhere in his airport stops of $23 burgers and $11 coffees he found time and a knife to sell me.

If that ain't Making it Right.....I don't know WTF is. I have knives from other makers. Some much more bougie. But I'll rep this Kat's brand.

Jeremyc_1999

Lil-Rokslider
I'll gladly pay for MKC knifes. I first met Josh in college. My grandmother had shown me a newspaper article from the Helena independent record when I was in middle school or high school. It's great to see him reach such great success after putting in years of hard work. He told his story and built he and Brandon built the MKC brand. They worked a few years before they even started using influencers to advertise. I do regret not staying in touch with him more as he duck hunted his way out of college (and I elk hunted and skied my way out), but I'm happy to be successful and was happily able to snag a magnacut stoned goat last night. I'm only bummed that he is dropping the Jackstone next week and that is also on my want list and I think my wife will divorce me if I buy MKC knives two weeks in a row asking for forgiveness instead of permission. It is a bummer that we in the hunting industry don't praise and encourage success, but instead go to flame successful companies

7mm-08

WKR
I refuse to participate in these childish damned product drop strategy schemes. Those kind of manufacturers (including HFB) can take a hike. Thanks for pointing out that MKC participates in this strategy - I'll never buy one of their products. Regardless of their quality or customer service. Sorry for the rant, but I don't appreciate extractive marketing practices to generate demand. Carry on...

Edit: I know this is a strongly worded statement on my part and Mr. Smith could be a saint - if he is, I hope he does well. I simply detest this marketing technique, a personal choice every consumer is free to make.

Last edited:

180ls1

WKR
I hear a lot about them and have used several hunting knives over the last 20 years but seem to always come back to the Outdoor Edge. What is the hype all about?

I refuse to participate in these childish damned product drop strategy schemes. Those kind so manufacturers (including HFB) can take a hike. Thanks for pointing out that MKC participates in this strategy - I'll never buy one of their products. Regardless of their quality or customer service. Sorry for the rant, but I don't appreciate extractive marketing practices to generate demand. Carry on...
You said it best! Down here in Texas there is the same type of marketing practice for Bar B Q! These people will get in line 3 hours before opening just to say they ate at some pleace. Right down the road is another place where there is no waiting to eat Bar b q! I explained to my wife that I have never had any food muchless Bar B q that warrants me to stand in line early just to eatr there. I guess i will not ever eat there food.

GARLICSALT

Lil-Rokslider
Plenty of great custom knife makers that will build (to order) exactly what you want for less money.
Some are on this board.

Here's a little tip, DON'T DRINK THE COOL AID!

Marble

WKR
I say kudos to the guy for getting a business model that works. It's unique, he seems to make a good product and from a few reviews, provides great customer service.

If he had to make different knives individually, prices would probably go up. Probably more efficient for a small operation like his to do it this way. Let's him scale his business.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

IDVortex

WKR
I say kudos to the guy for getting a business model that works. It's unique, he seems to make a good product and from a few reviews, provides great customer service.

If he had to make different knives individually, prices would probably go up. Probably more efficient for a small operation like his to do it this way. Let's him scale his business.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
He found a niche in selling, more power to him. We are in America after all, where capitalism works.