What does it take to kill a grizzly?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
But I've never experienced this! Do you see the point? We can literally all do this for 5yrs straight and still not get a general consensus.

Have you ever parachuted from a plane and had a parachute fail to open? If not- (because it hasn’t happened to you) does that mean that parachutes don’t fail to open?

“It hasn’t happened to me” is not a logical position in an argument.

medvedyt

WKR
I've never seen a bear go farther than 3 steps when shot with a 375ruger...tracks a few shot with 30 cal and 7mm.
the exact reason i got rid of it never experienced a difference with a 9.3x62 in kill effect, some can object the same can be said with the 338-06 and 35 whelen. use what you like and what you believe in up to the time you cange your faith ...

OP
Luke S

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
My plans to hunt a grizzly with a .223 didn't work out and I'm still not loving the .223 AR that I do have. It needs a bit of work before I'll use it an longer range.
I'm currently pretty content with my .308 and 6.5 Grendal. This winter I might work on a .223 project to try for the spring.
I know the Tikka is the easy button for a hunting rifle. The problem is I do a LOT of "hiking" where I would like a rifle but I don't want to lug around a full sized "hunting" rifle. So I toying with the idea of a .223 "Backpacking" rifle. The idea would be something as light as possible in .223. I'd handload low powered rounds for grouse and ptarmigan and have full power 77 g TMKs for opportunistically hunting bears.
Ideas I'm playing with include
  • An AR15 pistol in .223
  • A really light AR like the UltraUltralight builds.
  • A bolt action of some kind...
I really would prefer a bolt action .223 with either a red dot or the SWFA UL 2.5-10 scope on it. I'm thinking a Howa Mini action might be the way to go. Probably a MYOG stock, aftermarket bottom metal and an Timney trigger. If that solves all the issues with Howas it might be the way forward. Again this would not be my main hunting rifle, it would have too many compromises in favor of light weight to be a long range gun. But something that could kill a grouse at 20 feet or a summer black bear at 200 yards and in would get toted around a lot more than my other rifles.