What does it take to kill a grizzly?

pbroski

Lil-Rokslider
I have never killed a grizzly, but have considerable experience with killing black bears. I have killed at least 30 myself and have witnessed at least another 20 being killed. I also have been given accurate first hand accounts of the killing of another 10 or so, after having been on scene after the fact.

The cartridges used were .223, 22-250, .280AI, .308, .30-06, .300wm, .338wm, 9.3x62, .375H&H, .416 Rigby and 45-70.

Analyzing the results from hits which were not to the CNS, I didn't really see any difference between any of the cartridges from .223 to .338, plus the 45-70 and .416. After the shot, the bear usually would run for from about 5 feet to about 50 yards, then drop and die. When using the 9.3 or .375, the bear would drop at the shot, would not be able to get back up, and would not need a follow-up shot. Only one was shot with the .416. I doubt the bullet expanded because it was a bullet designed for bigger stuff, like cape buffalo.

So how does this apply to grizzly? Generally being thought of as a tougher animal, I'd expect it to run a little further and take a little longer to die. They would probably die just fine though.

Just my experience and thoughts on the matter and it's a small sample size, so take it for what it's worth.

ElPollo

WKR
Chickenman,
So you keep giving us your unsubstantiated advice. Neither you or Formidilosus has eVer had a grizzly/brown bear tag in your pocket let alone hunted or ever killed one, but yOu continue to advise others on a hunting forums on how it’s done. That is what I find amusing . It’s like dumb and dumber. Let’s talk some about your course work thougH . Much more enlightening than real world experiences!
I believe you are projecting your own shortcomings onto others. Please provide a direct quote from my messages to and about you where I have advised anyone about anything other than the fact that you do not know what you are talking about.