What does it take to kill a grizzly?

gbflyer

WKR
Alaska Master Guide Phil Shoemaker I’m guessing has witnessed more Brown/ Grizzly kills than anyone on the planet. He sides with Alaska F&G recommendation to use a 30-06. The smallest cartridge any of his clients has used was a .270 Win shooting Partitions, 2 shots in the lungs bear died quick. He did state to hunt with whatever gun you shoot the best so if a client showed up with a .243 shooting Partitions or any deep penetrating bullet he would have no problem. The bear he killed with a 9mm handgun was in self defense of his fishing clients on a river he fished for 30 years with no issues. For a self defense bear handgun he recommended something smaller you can shoot fast and accurate. I’ve never hunted bear in Alaska just find his advice interesting and wanted to pass it on. Phil does carry a 458 Win as his bear guide backup.

Guides don’t seem to get a lot of love on this subject apparently.

Bluefish

WKR
Alaska Master Guide Phil Shoemaker I’m guessing has witnessed more Brown/ Grizzly kills than anyone on the planet. He sides with Alaska F&G recommendation to use a 30-06. The smallest cartridge any of his clients has used was a .270 Win shooting Partitions, 2 shots in the lungs bear died quick. He did state to hunt with whatever gun you shoot the best so if a client showed up with a .243 shooting Partitions or any deep penetrating bullet he would have no problem. The bear he killed with a 9mm handgun was in self defense of his fishing clients on a river he fished for 30 years with no issues. For a self defense bear handgun he recommended something smaller you can shoot fast and accurate. I’ve never hunted bear in Alaska just find his advice interesting and wanted to pass it on. Phil does carry a 458 Win as his bear guide backup.
This doesn’t address the hypothesis of using a heavy for caliber match bullet in smaller calibers. If the smallest cartridge used is a 270 win, Phil has never tried a 77g tmk in 223. How can he offer any input on if it works or doesn’t work?

WW2 Buff

FNG
This doesn’t address the hypothesis of using a heavy for caliber match bullet in smaller calibers. If the smallest cartridge used is a 270 win, Phil has never tried a 77g tmk in 223. How can he offer any input on if it works or doesn’t work?
Using a 223
Im just relaying his experience not sure why .223 has to come up? He did mention locals use it.

So the better question is if a large bear was charging toward you-- and obviously there might be some problem with shot placement, what is the minimum caliber you would want to bet your life and maybe a family members life that is with you on?

I wouldn't go on a guided brown bear hunt with a 223 but I'd be hard pressed to argue a 30-06 or larger bolt gun would be better than an AR and a mag full of 77 TMKs in the "if a bear was charging" scenario.