What do you all do for work?

Lheise88

FNG
Always been a dream of mine to move out west. Me and my girlfriend have been really talking about it seriously here lately. She's a teacher and I don't feel like she would have any problem finding a job, and she's been Aplying. I'm a welder/pipefitter by trade for the past 10 years. Been a lot of places and made some killer money but I think I'm ready for something new. Just wanting out of the construction scene possibly. I know it would be a huge pay cut but I'm willing to deal with that for a simpler way of life. We're looking at mostly Wyoming and possibly Montana. Any decent jobs out that way not around big cities and such? Wondering what you all do for a living around the western states. Only curious because the populations are way way less then around here as far as cities go. I'm south of St Louis currently. Thanks guys.

I've been trying to figure this out myself. I'm a fireman in CA. I don't think that I can make a wage in any other state as comparable as I have, and I'd be starting from square one on the promotion and todem

Missoula is growing I hear. I'm sure they need guys of your trade.

What's a big city to you.
Wiki gives the population of the St. Louis are at just under 3 million.
The entire state of Wyoming is a little over half a million.
There's not jobs and pay like during the boom but if you work hard,
show up on time and pass the drug test you'll do alright.

Guide/outfitter by trade, used to spend time in south central Wyoming doing work at Tammy old job was a tire technician. But once the oil crisis hit the boom towns fell apart. It's starting to come back but very very slowly, lived in NW Colorado for 2 years and jobs were hard to come by, I got mine out of a transfer from another location. I used to deliver tires to all the companies in Baggs, WY but they all almost went under. Took a trip up to Thompson Falls, MT this past May was a great little town, I thought montana was pretty awesome but from what I heard from people when I stopped to get gas and talked to the locals it was still a tough economy.

I am in the same boat and damn near the same city, just outside of St Louis. I am an Instructional Designer/Training Systems Integrator and I have been researching and applying all over the west myself. Good luck!

I work right there. At the new hospital in O'Fallon.

Thanks for the old thread. Lots of replies on that one. Just didn't know what was around the area I was looking. Kinda. Even if my pay was cut in half that would put me at 20 n hour. Didn't know if that was unrealistic out there. We're taking a road trip this June to check out some places see the sights and such.

I'd let your girlfriends job kinda drive your decision where you might move. She'll likely make ok money with benefits and if you're handy and hardworking you should be able to find some work, just don't pick a touristy western town as the overhead will likely be high.
Remember a "simpler life" is mainly a state of mind.

I'd let your girlfriends job kinda drive your decision where you might move. She'll likely make ok money with benefits and if you're handy and hardworking you should be able to find some work, just don't pick a touristy western town as the overhead will likely be high.
Remember a "simpler life" is mainly a state of mind.

Definitely agree there. She will make a lot more out there then around here. As far as simpler were mainly looking for less people. I grew up in a town of 5000 and now that towns up to 9k. You can't drive a half a mile anywhere without seeing a house. You just can't get away. I grew up fairly poor but I had a very good childhood. Been blessed with a amazing job but that was due to my work ethic. So I have no problem not having as much but feeling as I'm actually living life.

I would make a road trip. Alot of western towns especially most of Wyoming's aren't much of anything or are kinda shitty. It would give you a better idea of where you might like to be

I would make a road trip. Alot of western towns especially most of Wyoming's aren't much of anything or are kinda shitty. It would give you a better idea of where you might like to be

x2 on taking a trip. My wife and I went out to Montana and Wyoming looking for a town to move to a few years ago and some of the places that looked great on paper just didn't impress us when we were out there. It's definitely worth the trip though. We ended up not moving but I'd still like to someday.

I moved to SW Colorado last May to take a job with the forest service conducting OHV and multi use trail maintenance and wild land firefighting. It's seasonal, but surely doesn't interfere with hunting seasons.

My advice to anyone considering a big move like this; do as much research as possible....and spend some time there talking to folks before committing.

Example; my buddy moved from a high density expensive area to a more rural cheaper area. He makes the most of it...but after living there for awhile you see the dirty underbelly; meth heads, pot growers and generally under the radar low income folks that can take away from those nice rural areas.

I'm a pipe fitter/welder as well. There's plenty of work out west, but there's still travel involved most of the time. Most of my buddies that are looking to get out of the road work get on maintenance crews. Refineries, chemical plants, food plants, power plants etc. Good steady work and decent pay, lots of places offer benefits too.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I poke cows.

ahhh-3.jpg

Appreciate all the info guys. I'm hoping maybe I can find a decent maintenance job or something. Love welding still and it's got me everything so far, (except the 496 i want in my chevelle) but wouldn't mind something new. The 12 day road trip in June will help a lot I feel like looking at the areas and talking to the locals. Hopefully one step closer to the dream or I'll decode to stay in this overpopulated midwest. Lol.

Finish carpenter up in the north east part of Wyoming.Moved here from the Detroit area 10 years ago, took a big pay cut but had to leave that area due to the economy. Im definitely not here for the money,great schools for the kids,clean town,friendly people and world class fishing and hunting. I can leave my house and be in the wilderness in about an hour or so. With that being said,if it wasnt for the mountain in my back yard,dont think i would have syayed this long. You only get so many chances to start over and at this point i dont want to do it all over again,good luck to you.

Back