Have any of you thought who gets your stuff. Or do they even want it

My daughter asked me the other day if she could have all my load data from reloading when I pass! LOL
My son wants the Play Station and my 10-22! They are 10-11 years old but it was interesting to see what held value to them currently. No one thought about asking for the house, or anything of real value! My dad passed suddenly 5 years ago without a living will, and we had very little idea who he wanted his over 60 gun collection to go to. I think involving the kids is not a bad idea. my most prized guns are the ones my dad used regularly, and those that he gifted to me and my kids. He bought all his kids and grandkids their first hunting rifles, my kids had new rifles the same week they were born. They are just some run of the mill savages but hold much more value to my kids knowing that grandpaw gave them their very own rifle! those are the sentimental ones for me.

My grandparents and parents collect(ed) antiques. Us kids have each picked one and advised them to sell all the rest and enjoy the money. If not, the stuff will just be sold after they go. I hope they listen.

It’s all just stuff. Even something passed down generations. My most prized possessions are items that were my deceased daughter’s. It’s all priceless to me. When I die, most of it will be in the dump. My boys will maybe take a couple things, and those items probably won’t make it another generation. Is what it is. All of those ultra special mounts guys spend a lifetime and small fortune to chase will probably end up in a hipster bar with a Santa hat on them.
My mom is similar there. Over the years she has collected a ton of colored glass dishware and stuff. She always enjoyed it and I am sure some are worth quite a bit. But none of us kids are interested in it.
Shes 82 now and in decent health and I have tried to get her to sell it, but she dosent want to and really isnt one to spend much of anything on anything. So it just sits at her house and collects dust now.

Don't unload your junk onto people who dont want it. Spend money on building memories with those who do have interest, and minimize how much clutter you have. Sell the guns you dont use when you stop using them, invest that money into the S&P 500 and give loved ones the money to acomplish the dreams your children have.

My soon to be MIL is a hoarder and EVERYTHING she & her husband owns will end up in the dump. They think its cool and it will be a bunch of family heirlooms, it will not.

Same with taxidermy, get enough to keep yourself happy, and then understand it will never sell for as much as you think. Your BOAL is someone else's burden unless they specify otherwise

No kids and no plans for kids. I wouldn’t say I have a large amount of stuff, but between the vehicles and property it’s significant from a value standpoint. Once something no longer brings me joy I sell it. Never been a sentimental person. Experiences are worth more than tangible goods assuming your needs are met. I’ll donate my stuff to wildlife non profits of my choosing or my best friend’s children if I think they will appreciate it.

Give to people that will appreciate a gift from you. Start with family and on to friends. I had a buddy that gave away about 30 very nice rifles and a few pistols as he got older. He kept one to hunt with. I hope to be able to do the same and die with very little. To me receiving a gift from someone means so much more than getting it after they die.

I got no children & my sisters kids are wimpy California kids not interested in fishing or hunting
I will sell my guns and 3 B&C heads, fishing gear and let my wife do as she pleases with, she can give it to my buddies if they want it

So been thinking about something for a while and was wondering if any of you are in the same situation.
Over the years I have got a decent collection of guns. Nothing super high end like a lot of you I am sure, but enough to keep me content.
Have a few different calibers and a few ill probably never use.
270-300WSM-243-6.5CM-35 Rem-couple 22s 12 ga shotgun-410 shotgun-couple hand guns.

With that said most of the rifles have pretty good optics with a couple Leupold VX6 a Leupold Mark 4. Vortex Viper PST Gen2 I just got.
This has got me thinking a little recently.
I am still new to hunting out west and there are some hunts I never see myself doing jsut due to cost and logistics.
I have 2 300 WSM one is a Supergrade gun. Dont ever really see myself using these two for much of anything.
Mainly deer hunt around home here and have been using the 6.5CM over my 270 for a while now.
Got the 243 to do a little predator hunting...Which i hardly ever do.

Now here is my conundrum.
A lot of these guns were gifts. a few from Family and a few from a really good friend.
I have 2 kids. My son is 16 and wants nothing to do with guns or hunting really of any kind. Its not that he dosent like the hunting thing or guns, its just not something he is interested in.
My daughter is younger at 11 and wants to do everything Dad does, dosent matter what it is.. if I was into bowling she would thing its the coolest thing.

With all that being said. If something were to happen to me, which at some point it will. What happens to all my guns.
Even if it is 20 years from now and my kids stay the same way they are now, what do i do with all the guns.

It has been something I have been thinking of just due to the fact that there really isnt much I need as far as another gun. Honestly the only other caliber I really would like to have is a 6.5PRC, which I want one, and if I got that I think that would pretty much do everything i would ever need or want to hunt.

So what do I do with the rest.
Do I get rid of some of these and buy myself a nice 6.5PRC and just keep with what I have mow.
I know its kind of an odd question. But with me getting older its something I have thought about a few times.
I had a friend just go through this in Montana, probate is something no one wants anything to do with so get a will.
If you dont need the $$$$, pass them on. Sentimental value is a wonderful thing. I wish I had someone to pass things onto...so feel blesses your daughter is all in

Do you have a will? If not, get one. Might also want a living will too...that way no one is unsure about what dad wanted.

I had a friend just go through this in Montana, probate is something no one wants anything to do with so get a will.
If you dont need the $$$$, pass them on. Sentimental value is a wonderful thing. I wish I had someone to pass things onto...so feel blesses your daughter is all in

Do you have a will? If not, get one. Might also want a living will too...that way no one is unsure about what dad wanted.
I dont have a will of any kind.
Honestly untill recently never throught about it.
Not sure why in just the few recent weeks have been thinking of stuff like what I put originally in the post.
Funny how our brains work. Not sure really.
Guess a bit of it is because my kids are growing up quicker than I realized. My son is 16 just got his first job. Daughter is pretty big into sports but still wants to do the things I do.
I dunno, its just kind of strange how I just all of a sudden started thinking of it.

I’ve come to the conclusion none of my relatives have the same taste in guns, scopes, stocks or calibers, so no matter how much thought goes into a will, none of it matters much. The Mrs. also has no concept of value and just likes things to be simple - she’ll have the kids and relatives show up first come first serve and the vultures will pick the garage man cave dry. Lol

I have started to give things away that someone might like and I don’t use much. Most stuff will probably be given away well before I drop dead.

Last edited:
My last grandparent just died last Thursday and we're in the process of going through things now. There was very little that I wanted, just a few things that I played with as a kid or had historical/family value.

I got a Browning A5 from my maternal grandfather that he used to turkey hunt with that I'll pass on to my kids, when I have them.

It's an interesting ordeal going through the items leftover when someone dies.

So been thinking about something for a while and was wondering if any of you are in the same situation.
Over the years I have got a decent collection of guns. Nothing super high end like a lot of you I am sure, but enough to keep me content.
Have a few different calibers and a few ill probably never use.
270-300WSM-243-6.5CM-35 Rem-couple 22s 12 ga shotgun-410 shotgun-couple hand guns.

With that said most of the rifles have pretty good optics with a couple Leupold VX6 a Leupold Mark 4. Vortex Viper PST Gen2 I just got.
This has got me thinking a little recently.
I am still new to hunting out west and there are some hunts I never see myself doing jsut due to cost and logistics.
I have 2 300 WSM one is a Supergrade gun. Dont ever really see myself using these two for much of anything.
Mainly deer hunt around home here and have been using the 6.5CM over my 270 for a while now.
Got the 243 to do a little predator hunting...Which i hardly ever do.

Now here is my conundrum.
A lot of these guns were gifts. a few from Family and a few from a really good friend.
I have 2 kids. My son is 16 and wants nothing to do with guns or hunting really of any kind. Its not that he dosent like the hunting thing or guns, its just not something he is interested in.
My daughter is younger at 11 and wants to do everything Dad does, dosent matter what it is.. if I was into bowling she would thing its the coolest thing.

With all that being said. If something were to happen to me, which at some point it will. What happens to all my guns.
Even if it is 20 years from now and my kids stay the same way they are now, what do i do with all the guns.

It has been something I have been thinking of just due to the fact that there really isnt much I need as far as another gun. Honestly the only other caliber I really would like to have is a 6.5PRC, which I want one, and if I got that I think that would pretty much do everything i would ever need or want to hunt.

So what do I do with the rest.
Do I get rid of some of these and buy myself a nice 6.5PRC and just keep with what I have mow.
I know its kind of an odd question. But with me getting older its something I have thought about a few times.

That is kind of my thought also.
My whole family growing up was big into hunting. I didnt really get into it as much untill I got older also.
But it was also a different day and age. The kids now days are much different than when I was young.
I have a few that were passed down to me from my Dad or an Uncle, both now gone.
Those are some of my most prized in the safe.
I still remember the day when my Uncle really sick with cancer told me he wanted me to have his old Savage pump 35Rem. Still have it to this day but havent used it in years.
Kind of the same with a 22 my dad gave me when I was 7, Or the 410 my dad bought me for christmas one year.

My parents were not well off by any means. My dad was a big hunter but he had guns for a reason, to hunt with. He had 1 rifle to deer hunt with, same rifle he used the couple of times he went Elk hunting.
He had 1 12 ga shotgun he turkey hunted with, a 410 he rabbit hunted with, and a 22 that he had that was a keepsake.
Not like a lot of us now days who have multiple guns for the same thing.
I think my pops would be floored if he was alive today and opened my safe

So from the younger point of view I would say it’s entirely up to you if you want to keep or sell them. My Dad has been selling off some of his stuff he bought that he isn’t and does not intend to use. From my perspective it’s nothing lost as he was selling stuff he doesn’t have much interest in and by extension we don’t either.

On the flip side we have sold none of my grandfather’s guns since he passed almost 20 years ago, whatever he owned on the day he passed we still have today. There are some sentimental ones that still get used such as his Model 12 that I got or his Auto-5 that my brother got or his Remington 760 that comes up with us to deer season every year whether we hunt with it or not. We never got to hunt with our grandfather due to him passing when we were young and keep his most prized firearms as a way to remember him and his legacy.

But many of his other firearms haven’t been shot in years and we don’t get rid of them because they are his. I only know the back story on a couple of them and I’m sure when we die the only ones that will mean anything to anyone alive are the ones we still use around our kids and grandkids.

So I guess to sum it up if they are sentimental to you then keep them and use them, if they aren’t and you don’t plan on using them and your kids don’t want them then ditch them and get something you will use. At 31 with no kids yet I am looking at selling off some stuff that I have bought and have little attachment too to make room for nicer stuff that I will get more use from in the long run.

When it comes to my future kids and grandkids inheriting things they are going to have a lot of stuff to choose from between my Dad and myself.

Sell it now and take the $$$. maybe ask ur daughter if she is at all interested in guns, if not, back to sell them. I have started unloading things. I know my grandson is interest in some of them, so that is where they will go. I'm going on 75. time to start thinking along those lines. I don't want to leave a mess for the wife, she would have no idea where to start.

In my opinion, sell the stuff you don't like or use much. It's relevant equipment with known values of the rifle and optics. Turn it into something that you do want.

If you have a keepsake, that's cool. Hang onto it.

I don't feel any real attachments to my dad's belongings. I have inherited a few guns already and they are not particularly special to me. I have a couple that I would keep and a couple that I would sell. The only thing keeping me from selling now, is his certain disapproval.

The same for his golf clubs. I don't golf, I don't want his golf gear. I imagine that's how a lot of people feel about guns.

One of my grandfathers had a couple of interesting old guns that I would have taken, including a hex-barrel 45-70. Those went to my uncles.

The other had a very few guns, some more interesting than others. An old side-by-side 12ga dated 1916 versus a Remington 870. I have his .22LR but I don't have any memories of it being "his." It was just his gun for shooting garden rabbits.

For me, the guns owned by my father or grandfathers don't hold much sentimental value as "their" guns. The ones that I like, I do because I think they're cool and would like them anyway.

Fortunately for me, my dad has his will setup and he and my mother have been making strides in reducing the amount of "stuff" that they own.

I'm of the opinion that very few of my "heirlooms" will be valued or wanted by my daughters when I pass. My will directs that all of my belongings be sold, put into a trust, and divided out to them over a number of years. If they truly want something of mine, they can buy it from the estate before it goes. The only specific items to be given away are my two SBRs, which also go to my daughters. They can sell those too if they don't want them.

My wife lost two of her grandparents about a year ago (husband and wife), my grandpa has been placed in a memory care facility at age 94, my uncle (65yrs old) passed about a year ago, and my wife's other grandma is 91 and their family and her are organizing properties and getting everything spelled out best they can. So we have been dealing with these situations of who gets what and how much pretty in depth the last year or two.

What I will say is for everyone's sake be realistic about people's interest. Give the stuff to the people in your life that would appreciate it and are interested. Also, IMO you can make stuff "even" as far as value or meaning but don't divide land or other properties because it is "fair". Divide cash if that is something you leave behind and distribute that to create the "even" part to counter balance properties given if possible.

Also, realize that some of your family members are assholes and are going to take advantage of the situation. Properties and what can be should go into estates/trusts. Don't let the govt. take your stuff if you get put into long term care or something like that and don't create a situation where one person has to buy the other person out of a property because the "fair" price shifts depending on who is purchasing and who is selling.

Have the conversation with those people. My FIL has had the conversation with my wife and her two sisters. Properties are in an estate and spelled out who gets what. It has also been made clear that at when the grandkids reach a certain age all that property will be put into their names and the daughters taken off. As of right now my wife and I are the only couple with kids and looks like that is all there will be in the family. These properties have been in the family basically for over 100yrs.

Get rid a crap and clutter. As far as mounts I like them and have received a bunch from my grandpa and will be receiving a bunch more when my dad's time comes. A few are sentimental the rest I'll figure out what to do with when the time comes. But they enjoy looking at them and I'm not parting with mine until I die. Out of all the things to go through, and figure out when someone passes, taxidermy and firearms are pretty minor things.

That’s like worrying about your body after you die.

Live your life. Leave it to your heirs to decide what to do with what you enjoyed.

I have a few that I cherish and pull out from time to time. A couple old 22s, a late 60s model 700 in 243 and my granddaddys Ole SxS 12 with tape on the wrist just as when he handed down to me.

Makes think of this song.

Timely topic
I’m similar as the OP. My dad loves guns, my mom is indifferent, she had her CHL and a Ruger LCP that she never carry’s. Dad is all handgun.
My daughter is indifferent, she’s been hunting, doesn’t care either way. Same with firearms.
It’s just me and her. Theoretically my folks will go before me and I’ll have their firearms.
I’ll go before my daughter and she will get them all.
I just have a handful of off the shelf stuff. Savage, Remington, real Marlin, Winchester S&W and Sig,
I do have a few older, as in the 50s and 60s Marlin and Remington that were my grandfathers. Also have a Bear recurve from that era.
My prize and I want it donated to a museum possibly: my granddad brought back a Belgian Browning .380 German / Nazi pistol with the original “flap top” holster. German / Nazi eagle’s stamped all over it.
Identical to this:

I have been getting my girl on all my accounts as a beneficiary
A will is next

Back